Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

2 hours ago, madras said:

"Best as the left hand no8" ?

Haven't seen that anywhere like. Most of the sites fbref and the like have him central and he played mainly on the right for Italy the other night.

In the title-winning year he played LCM mostly and did his best work there

52 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

Think people are setting themselves up for disappointment if they expect Tonali to come straight into the team. Howe doesn't tend to operate that way from what we've seen so far, and at this point I have no qualms with it tbh

Hmm, maybe. But he threw Isak straight in as soon as he was eligible. Only injury stopped him getting more minutes before Christmas. Botman also started 4 of the first 6 matches of last season.

1 hour ago, jackflap said:

And we play City, Liverpool, Brighton after Villa. If we don't start him against Villa at home they'd be tough games to throw him straight into.

That's the point though, we have the hardest start in the league and we would be playing it without our £60m midfielder (and I assume whoever else we sign). Our main problem since Howe picked up form 2 seasons ago has been picking up points against the top sides as we're just short of quality.

Edited by Hanshithispantz

34 minutes ago, greydos said:

In the title-winning year he played LCM mostly and did his best work there

I think you're getting this the wrong way around. He mainly played on the left side last season:

And right the title winning season:

Edited by Hanshithispantz

8 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

I think you're getting this the wrong way around. He mainly played on the left side last season:

And even tgen was it a left/right split or fulfilling roles. Tonali playing the deeper playmaker role and Kessie more box to box ?

Edited by madras

Hoping/expecting that we reach the position in terms of squad strength that we are able to take a Bruno (example) out of the team a few times in autumn and winter with the aim of being in good shape through the spring run in. Pep is a master at this, as has been Klopp. Get the numbers, up get the quality up, forget about a ‘first 11’, and use the fact that we can afford to have 15 or 16 top quality players. 

Great season ahead!

2 hours ago, jackflap said:

Nah, Tonali will go straight in IMO, we're probably going to sign 3 first teamers this window, unlikely we'll drip feed all of them in.

Every single signing since the initial ones that were essential to us staying up have been dropped in and he won’t be any different in my opinion.

2 minutes ago, Crayola Kid said:

Hoping/expecting that we reach the position in terms of squad strength that we are able to take a Bruno (example) out of the team a few times in autumn and winter with the aim of being in good shape through the spring run in. Pep is a master at this, as has been Klopp. Get the numbers, up get the quality up, forget about a ‘first 11’, and use the fact that we can afford to have 15 or 16 top quality players. 

Great season ahead!

I'd imagine most managers would be good at it if they had a squad where there isn't a huge drop off when you pull out fist choice players for a game or two.

1 minute ago, madras said:

I'd imagine most managers would be good at it if they had a squad where there isn't a huge drop off when you pull out fist choice players for a game or two.

Yes that’s fair but people are suggesting taking, as an example - Longstaff, out of the starting side as some kind of demotion or a significant move for day 1 of the season. We will hopefully be able to swap a few in and out during the busy periods in a way we haven’t managed before.  Was clear to see we had a few tired players in certain games late last season, hopefully the plans this summer are not just to replace people but to increase our options week by week

48 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Fair play you’re right. 

Trippier, Botman, Isak, Wood, Targett and Burn all pretty much were part of the starting 11 after a game or two. Only good example we have of better players being eased in is Bruno who came in mid season. 

If Tonali is ready to start after spending the pre-season with the team, i think he will. If Howe thinks he needs to be eased in then he will be. But it doesnt seem to be a standard pattern.

Just now, Displayname said:

Trippier, Botman, Isak, Wood, Targett and Burn all pretty much were part of the starting 11 after a game or two. Only good example we have of better players being eased in is Bruno who came in mid season. 

If Tonali is ready to start after spending the pre-season with the team, i think he will. If Howe thinks he needs to be eased in then he will be. But it doesnt seem to be a standard pattern.

Isak got his shot early as Wilson was out. I'm sure Botman would have been a few more weeks until he became a regular if Targett wasn't out too. The others had all played in the PL before. 

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Isak got his shot early as Wilson was out. I'm sure Botman would have been a few more weeks until he became a regular if Targett wasn't out too. The others had all played in the PL before. 

We still had players who had been regulars last year like Wood and Lascelles on the bench. So he definiatly could have eased them in if he wanted to.

Tonali got to the Champions league semi-finals this year. Not really sure that he needs to get used to the high tempo of PL, especially with the workrate he has previously shown.

Not that i am in any way certain that he will start the first game. But if he gels well and impresses with the team in pre-season, i dont see why not.

We have a history of having some of our most exciting signings get injured shortly after arrival.[emoji38] Ben Arfa, Trippier, Isak.. I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone. Lets hope it doesn't happen again.

8 minutes ago, Erikse said:

We have a history of having some of our most exciting signings get injured shortly after arrival.[emoji38] Ben Arfa, Trippier, Isak.. I'm sure that I'm forgetting someone. Lets hope it doesn't happen again.

Owen? 

7 hours ago, LFEE said:

Was he? Only remember links to us and AC Milan.

First I heard of him was Liverpool being linked with him when van Dijk got injured. Not sure how serious their interest was

Some players are allways injured though. As for Trippier and Isak they had not been out for this long for a very long time. The Ben Arfa one was also a crazy one.. Just very unlucky these ones. With some players we would've been lucky if they didn't get injured shortly after arrival.[emoji38]

Edited by Erikse

12 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Luque.

12 minutes ago, Erikse said:

Luque injured in debut? Emre did his hamstring pretty quickly..