Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

2 minutes ago, healthyaddiction said:

If you put a fullstop after the UK (like below) it gets past the paywall.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk./football/2023/06/28/newcastle-transfer-rumours-sandro-tonali-nicolo-barella/

I had no idea that was a thing, I always chucked it into archive.ph, works for the Athletic too:

https://theathletic.com./4645310/2023/06/28/alan-shearer-harry-kane-bayern-munich-transfer/

I think the all-round midfielder has come back in with the likes of Man City TBH. Even though Rodri sits deeper, his job isn't mainly to tackle people in front of the defence. If the team presses, you can't have a CM that sits back.

And especially if you play a 4-3-3 and not a double pivot, it's a very difficult role for a single defensive midfielder.

I have found it very interesting though, it's hard to get out of the mindset that a DM is needed. 

Just now, Danh1 said:

From reading that it makes me question whether we will target a more attacking midfielder after all.

If we can get a right winger and left back I’d be delighted. 

Think it might be someone who can play in a couple of roles, I dunno. 

I know I always say this, but I'm not 100% convinced that we won't start next season with Miggy on the right. 

1 minute ago, Danh1 said:

From reading that it makes me question whether we will target a more attacking midfielder after all.

If we can get a right winger and left back I’d be delighted. 

I get the feeling you might be right.

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I know I always say this, but I'm not 100% convinced that we won't start next season with Miggy on the right. 

Before Tonali, I thought we needed both an AM or winger, but think he 'frees up' Bruno a bit more so either a winger or AM is fine. The likes of Willock, Joelinton and Longstaff need to start pushing 8 goals a season though which they should be capable of the way the pop up in the box. 

Edited by Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I really hope we don’t have Miggy as number one choice. It’s a massive weakness in the team.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

Not the end of the world if we do, but you'd hope we won't be going into the season with Almiron and Murphy as the main men for the RW spot.

That’s where Dom Slob comes in perhaps?

We are definitely getting one more big signing if they are available. They will max out our FFP limits each window.

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

We are definitely getting one more big signing if they are available. They will max out our FFP limits each window.

Aye. Interested to see if they want a playmaker type like Szoboszlai or a more conventional winger like Kudus or Diaby for example.

5 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Not the end of the world if we do, but you'd hope we won't be going into the season with Almiron and Murphy as the main men for the RW spot.

If ASM is staying (which is great imo) then you also have Gordon who’s decent, arguably better, on the right as well tbf.

7 minutes ago, LFEE said:

Not saying you're wrong but if we're after a RW I don't see why we'd target someone who's spent about 10% of their appearances playing that position (according to transfermarkt).

Then again, if Howe is seeking more fluidity, with players that can play multiple positions, then Szoboszlai would make sense. 

I'd personally be much more in favour of a RW/AM hybrid like DS than an out-and- out winger. The flexibility of bringing them into the middle against low blocks while playing someone else out wide could be a real difference maker. 

That said, it's nice to be in a situation where the level of trust and confidence in the club is such that I'll be second guessing myself a little bit if we go down a different route with targets. 

1 minute ago, Barnes23 said:

I'd personally be much more in favour of a RW/AM hybrid like DS than an out-and- out winger. The flexibility of bringing them into the middle against low blocks while playing someone else out wide could be a real difference maker. 

That said, it's nice to be in a situation where the level of trust and confidence in the club is such that I'll be second guessing myself a little bit if we go down a different route with targets. 

I think and hope that’s why we’d go for Dom then, he is capable of playing both flanks, an attacking mid and in the middle as an all arounder apparently.