Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

8 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Would there be any chance that this would constitute a breach of contract and he could be released?

Just wondering, as obviously would have significant FFP implications if the wages could be freed back up again.

There would be no real FFP benefit this season.  Next season he’d likely be back in any case - and we would have got rid of a £50m+ player for nowt.  

Just now, TheBrownBottle said:

Not sure about that.  The club won’t do it because he’s a valuable asset, but doing something expressly banned would likely constitute gross misconduct

Has he been betting on football since we signed him? If not then I doubt there’s anything we could do.

Not that we would want to because like you say, he’s a valuable asset, and also the correct thing to do on our part is to help him recover and come back.

Just now, SteV said:

Has he been betting on football since we signed him? If not then I doubt there’s anything we could do.

Not that we would want to because like you say, he’s a valuable asset, and also the correct thing to do on our part is to help him recover and come back.

Yeah, completely agree - we have a duty of care.  And you’re right - if it pre-dates us signing him, maybe not.

I find myself furious with the player for putting us in this position, but also thinking that the ban will be punishment enough for the lad.  He’ll need proper support and hopefully he’ll come out at the other end of the ban having his addiction under control. 

18 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

The club clearly have got a lot of work to do on pre-signing checks, it's embarrassing that we are now paying the price for the conduct of a player whilst at a different club.

How would you do that though? Other than asking the individual to disclose 

Dear me, surely he’s not that stupid? Dressing room, in walks Sandro, lads we’re at home to Empoli, 8 to 1 on, I’m going large today, really fancy our chances.

Anyway, his English should be mint once his ban is over.

5 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

There would be no real FFP benefit this season.  Next season he’d likely be back in any case - and we would have got rid of a £50m+ player for nowt.  

I’m reminded that Mutu was sued for his transfer fee, I’d imagine we can do the same.

in which case even if Tonali can’t afford to pay this would become an asset that changes the FFP calculation.

if the above is true, sack him, he’s lost my support.

3 minutes ago, James said:

I’m reminded that Mutu was sued for his transfer fee, I’d imagine we can do the same.

in which case even if Tonali can’t afford to pay this would become an asset that changes the FFP calculation.

I can understand your anger, but I can’t go along with the ‘sack him’ option.  The lad deserved punishment - and he’ll get it - but I’d still rather the club provided support and helped him, most importantly for his personal life and also his professional one too.

I’m not going to criticise any supporter who wants shot of him, though.  Tonali has done himself no favours. 

Edited by TheBrownBottle

20 minutes ago, ChrisMcQuillan said:

Would there be any chance that this would constitute a breach of contract and he could be released?

Just wondering, as obviously would have significant FFP implications if the wages could be freed back up again.

Absolutely. In a normal employment contract there would be an express clause allowing termination for illegal activity / adverse court rulings; if not it could be implied in or argued under case law that it's a fundamental breach of trust in the relationship. 

I've no idea what a footballer's contract looks like though: following supply and demand logic and their value, I can see a scenario where all risk on this front is loaded onto the acquiring club.

4 minutes ago, James said:

Have Brentford sued Toney? 

4 minutes ago, James said:

why bud ?

24 minutes ago, Dr Venkman said:

The club clearly have got a lot of work to do on pre-signing checks, it's embarrassing that we are now paying the price for the conduct of a player whilst at a different club.

How do you think that's going to graft!? 

"Hey £70m player, come and play for us in this exciting project we've got going but, first, let's take you're phone so we can GreyKey the cunt" 

6 minutes ago, James said:

You’d have to create a bad debt provision, which would have to be released into the accounts at some point, so no point suing him at all :lol: