Sandro Tonali

The Prophet

8 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Surely if they find out he has been gambling since arriving, which is likely if he's an addict, then the only additional punishment they could impose is prevention of training? If they get to add consecutive time to his already lengthy punishment then it truly is some kind of witch hunt.

They can impose further sanctions - especially if he’s bet on our games.  He would have broken the FA’s rules - previously he broke the FIGC’s rules. 

edit: it could be concurrent

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Is that not just a logical step for the FA to take once he's been found guilty of doing it elsewhere? Doesn't mean they have anything to actually go on beyond his behaviour in Italy. Maybe it'll come to something and they'll up his ban or whatever, but my money (lol) is on this coming to very little, especially given he's already serving a ban greater than what Toney did. If he bet on our games that'll have a baring, but given (at least as far as I last read) he only bet on games at Milan he didn't play in and has played almost every match he's eligible for here, I'm not too concerned. 

Any chance legal counsel may have advised all his uk electronic devices were expertly wiped and all electronic traces removed when the Italian stuff kicked off? 

maybe I’ve seen too many films…. If it is proven his has broken the rules here then although I don’t like it as it impacts us,  I think he has to do his punishment. Rules are rules. 

We are already being punished for something he did before joining us, so any sentence added onto that from what he may have done here, as opposed to concurrent, will be a very bitter pill to swallow. Let's hope the silly boy has stopped betting since making the move.

4 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

We are already being punished for something he did before joining us, so any sentence added onto that from what he may have done here, as opposed to concurrent, will be a very bitter pill to swallow. Let's hope the silly boy has stopped betting since making the move.

If he’s addicted like it’s been talked about it’s no chance he stopped betting after moving to England imo.

37 minutes ago, Mattoon said:

Surely if they find out he has been gambling since arriving, which is likely if he's an addict, then the only additional punishment they could impose is prevention of training? If they get to add consecutive time to his already lengthy punishment then it truly is some kind of witch hunt.

This is a Newcastle player remember....if they float they're a witch and get burned at the stake....if they sink, they were innocent but are still drowned

I know I'm getting angry at a hypothetical here but it's absolute bullshit if it's not concurrent. Only reason I'd find it acceptable is if they found his UK betting on its own so egregious that it deserves longer than the already given 10 months, in which case they should add the difference on top.

If a ban is in force worldwide then said ban should be based on the whole series of events across all countries. It'd be like saying 'well he had offences at Brescia give him ten months, oh and he had offences at Milan add another ten months on top'. Being a separate footballing body doesn't change that a jot if any ban is applied across all footballing bodies anyway imo.

You would expect any ban to run concurrently; however, the main issue will be the time it takes the FA to carry out their investigation, as Toney was charged in November 2022 I think but wasn’t banned until May 2023 so seven months later.

Tonali’s investigation should be much shorter as it would have taken place in a short window, you would also hope common sense would come in to play and any ban already served would be taken in to account.

Any additional ban on top of the fucking worldwide football ban (i.e. including any football for which the FA is the authority) would be absolutely risible. There could be no justification for that whatsoever; a ten-month suspension already more than pays any debts apparently owed to English football. 

He clearly needs help with his problem not additional months on his ban. My only concern is if he can ever kick the habit if it's so prevalent.

Imagine betting on your own games when you're already a multimillionaire, unless he isn't because he's spent it all on gambling.

Edited by Mountain

We should probably wait to see if owt comes of it.  If Tonali is an addict, it would be surprising if he kicked the habit when he joined us.  At the same time, sometimes a fresh start can help with getting your life straightened out.

It is only if he’s been betting on our games that he’d deserve an extension for me.  I’m not sure so many would be quite so forgiving of what he’s done if he’d done this elsewhere - personally, if he’s been betting on our games too then he’s a fucking idiot. 

If the FA find something which would piss me right off, then that may well be the end of his career ( depending on situ) and can see litigation against him, AC and Italian FA. I hope he hasn't but we don't these distractions at this time. I can see in future ourselves and other clubs really looking for skeletons in the cupboard of players regardless how innocent we think they are.

15 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

If the FA find something which would piss me right off, then that may well be the end of his career ( depending on situ) and can see litigation against him, AC and Italian FA. I hope he hasn't but we don't these distractions at this time. I can see in future ourselves and other clubs really looking for skeletons in the cupboard of players regardless how innocent we think they are.

Why would it be the end of his career?

10 minutes ago, wyn davies said:

I can see the club wanting something in contracts going forward after being burnt like this. It’s an absolute piss take how where paying the price for this and if we haven’t paid the full fee up front, I’d hope we are looking at every legal avenue in relation to suing Milan.

Anyone else think the fee we paid makes a bit more sense in light of all of this? 55 million pound for Tonali, pride and joy of his hometown club, rushed out in the span of a few months?

Hard pressed to believe Milan had no inkling of this

Just now, Upthemags said:

Anyone else think the fee we paid makes a bit more sense in light of all of this? 55 million pound for Tonali, pride and joy of his hometown club, rushed out in the span of a few months?

Hard pressed to believe Milan had no inkling of this

It’s literally the record fee for an Italian player. It really is true that some people want to see conspiracies everywhere 

Just now, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It’s literally the record fee for an Italian player. It really is true that some people want to see conspiracies everywhere 

Enzo Fernandez went a few months earlier for double that - in a year of extremely inflated price tags, it was a bargain with the info we had

If he was doing it here I’d wager that Milan didn’t know about what he was doing there either.

Useless speculation at the moment. Journos reporting the investigation as fact without any direct press release from the FA.. the only quote from today about an investigation was an internal one that Dan Ashworth mentioned.

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Enzo Fernandez went a few months earlier for double that - in a year of extremely inflated price tags, it was a bargain with the info we had

He went for double that because it was Chelsea and they are run by idiots.

Edited by SteV

6 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

But Chelsea overpay for everyone, also Benfica anre notoriously hard negotiators and Caicedo only went for over £100M due to a daft bidding war.

For context Fernandez's fellow World Cup winning midfielder went for £35M to Liverpool

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop