NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

He’s just not match fit or even near. You don’t stay out for that long and not look rusty and slow both physically and mentally. People expect players to just come back and be 100% as good as they were. Not the long term solution but still a solid player. Also, some players take longer to get more sharp than others after a lack of game time. We absolutely need a LB imo. But let’s not draw too many conclusions based on the little he has played lately.

8 minutes ago, Zero said:

I stand by my words, Targett is a liability now. If you don’t think so, fine, let his performance (if Howe really ever play him again) prove our point.

For the last six months, basically every week I saw comments like “how in the earth Targett not back to the starting lineup” “Howe really lost it by sticking with Burn”. And, in all his performance as listed in your reply, he did nothing but keep on making mistakes, get passed easily by opponents, and even now not showing any glimpse or signs that he is back to his form pre-injury in recent friendlies. if you really still think he is fine and we can rely on him, it’s up to you. Just that obviously Howe doesn’t think so. Burn was completely burnt out in the second half of last season, it’s so fucking obvious and even I was shouting for giving him a rest, yet Howe still kept him in the starting lineup every fucking game.

if all these hints still couldn’t ring your alarm, it’s your problem. I will obviously @you again once Targett lose us any game in the coming season.

Targett is a more than decent option/member of the squad. They seem keen (as far as we ever really know) to get another left back, but your venom towards him is disproportionate and out of step with pretty much everyone else, most importantly Eddie Howe.

19 minutes ago, Zero said:

I stand by my words, Targett is a liability now. If you don’t think so, fine, let his performance (if Howe really ever play him again) prove our point.

For the last six months, basically every week I saw comments like “how in the earth Targett not back to the starting lineup” “Howe really lost it by sticking with Burn”. And, in all his performance as listed in your reply, he did nothing but keep on making mistakes, get passed easily by opponents, and even now not showing any glimpse or signs that he is back to his form pre-injury in recent friendlies. if you really still think he is fine and we can rely on him, it’s up to you. Just that obviously Howe doesn’t think so. Burn was completely burnt out in the second half of last season, it’s so fucking obvious and even I was shouting for giving him a rest, yet Howe still kept him in the starting lineup every fucking game.

if all these hints still couldn’t ring your alarm, it’s your problem. I will obviously @you again once Targett lose us any game in the coming season.

why are you talking absolute shite mate?

Targett is a classic beans-on-toast PL LB.  I can't imagine getting animated over his presence - he's your solid 6 or 7/10 performer over a season.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see a Tierney etc at LB - someone who really can cause trouble marauding forward etc.  And I can't imagine Targett is with us in the long term (assuming he isn't happy being a bench-warmer - the cited reason he left Villa).  But the lad hasn't done owt wrong - certainly not enough to provoke anger

Guest reefatoon

[emoji38] What a random harmless player to have a hatred for.

The sooner we replace the whole squad with massive signings the better. The lunatics need it, they are getting restless.

35 minutes ago, Zero said:

That only proves Howe is a massive fan of Burn and/or doesn’t rate Targett. 

Targett does need to leave because Howe doesn’t trust him at all. 

In the two games he started this year (Everton and Chelsea away), 

Against Chelsea:

A lot of 6's and a couple of 7's which would indicate he was anything but "absolute rubbish" @Zero

Solid/average/steady at best it would seem from those 2x games, which I think is what the majority on here think he is full stop. Nobody is under the illusion that he's fantastic or the answer to our LB problems, but he's more than capable of doing a job when filling in when required.

3 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Targett is a classic beans-on-toast PL LB.  I can't imagine getting animated over his presence - he's your solid 6 or 7/10 performer over a season.

Don't get me wrong - I'd love to see a Tierney etc at LB - someone who really can cause trouble marauding forward etc.  And I can't imagine Targett is with us in the long term (assuming he isn't happy being a bench-warmer - the cited reason he left Villa).  But the lad hasn't done owt wrong - certainly not enough to provoke anger

you got me wrong. I have absolutely no hatred nor anger towards him, in fact I appreciate his contribution during that loan spell, it kinda save our season and our clubs fortune

however you need to take a longer look at Targetts career. He is a solid LB, nothing stand out but solid at defence, rarely commit mistakes and done his job. Always a 7/10 guy. Every team know  he is limited, he is a usable rotational player. He has arguably his best form in life when he was on loan playing for us. I was very happy that we got a solid LB for just 10m.

But now you need to take his injury into consideration. There’s none in the world who could guarantee a player to make full recovery after these kinda injuries, and in fact, most of the time, the player cannot. It may affect his burst of speed, his agility, turning, etc. we all don’t know. What we know is, for a player like Targett, any impact on his body would be devastating because he would no longer be as solid as before, which was exactly what he had been displaying since returning from injury. He became a 5/10 guy. 

for other players, say Trippier, even if he lost his pace, he still has lots of things to contribute. Even HBA could dribble for fun despite losing his pace a bit after that incident. For Targett, once he lose his reliability he has nothing left. In other words he is on his way to be another Dummett, who is deemed as rubbish by many people here.

we should buy a new LB asap because we cannot count on Targett anymore. It’s a fucking jackpot if he can be solid again this season. We should not gamble on this.

15 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

That only proves Howe is a massive fan of Burn and/or doesn’t rate Targett. 

Targett does need to leave because Howe doesn’t trust him at all. 

that’s why I said I don’t expect him to play much this season. Most likely we will have a new LB, Burn as the backup, and Targett got no playing time and loan out at January. 

If Targett was back to his best like what he was playing during the loan spell, he should be ahead of Burn. I don’t think Howe is that stubborn. So my take is Howe knows Targett cannot make it.

10 minutes ago, mrraspberryjam said:

In the two games he started this year (Everton and Chelsea away), 

Against Chelsea:

A lot of 6's and a couple of 7's which would indicate he was anything but "absolute rubbish" @Zero

Solid/average/steady at best it would seem from those 2x games, which I think is what the majority on here think he is full stop. Nobody is under the illusion that he's fantastic or the answer to our LB problems, but he's more than capable of doing a job when filling in when required.

I watched his every minute since back from injury and now I tell you if we still rely on him we would be in great trouble. Take it or leave it.

The targett we bought isn't the targett we loaned (bit like willock but that's coming good). Most likely injuries and lack of selection, but I wouldn't write him off, players have a knack of bouncing back under this regime. 

Aye, he’ll definitely come good just as Willock did. I know there’s certain attributes you might not see from him, but I trust he will do a job there. 

we’re competing in the best league in the world and we finished 5th within a short space of time in potentially going the other way, so I’m sure we’re capable of playing those of a similar quality in Europe with the squad we’ve got including an on-form Target. 

that being said I do expect someone to come in within the following weeks to fill that slot ahead of him. 

Edited by Geordie Boyo

17 hours ago, Zero said:

= Targetts performance these six months.

those who say he is “reliable” as a LB now, I can only assume he didn’t really watch the game and just look at stats or past memories. 

Ffs he’s played like 3 games since January. This forum man [emoji38]

Oh great. It's now the hate for Burn taken out on Targett. Because don't you know? If Targett was any good, he would have taken rubbish Burn spot in the best defense in the league last year...

Hence why we need a left back. Even though the drop from burn to Targett is not nearly as significant as to the drop from Tripper to whoever is on the bench that day (at least until we get Livramento).

Season can't start soon enough...

1 minute ago, jonny1403 said:

Ffs he’s played like 3 games since January. This forum man [emoji38]

Exactly. People writing him off because he barely played last season when he was more than good enough the year before. He was never breaking back into a settled back 4 with the best defensive record in the league but I'd personally have him over Burn.