NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

10 minutes ago, jackyboy said:

Why do people keep criticising Targett and saying he hasn't enough pace. Well, Trippier is no speed merchant either but he is one hell of a player.  His lack of pace is very much helped by the pace of Almiron. We haven't had an equivalent on the left side to compliment our LB and give the team balance. Hopefully Barnes will fill that gap 

Trippier’s one of the best fullbacks in Europe. There’s that.

1 hour ago, STM said:

The problem is, we aren't in the position where we can just add "pace". When we sign players, they must have everything to succeed.

I always find it extremely dangerous when people say things like "we need a CB with pace" because it implies that the rest of their game doesn't matter. When in reality, a smart centre back/left back will always out perform a quick one.

I wasn't directing that at you mind, I get what you mean and I'm sure they are looking.

Ultimately I'd rather wait 6/12 months for the right player. Its absolutely no good signing someone if they aren't immediately better than Burn/Targett. Even the likes of Tierney (who I like) have been dismissed, Robinson wasn't fancied, that Leverkusen LB went elsewhere etc.

We should wait for a Cancelo/ Hernandez level LB or a youngster who could become that (Hall is a good shout) but we shouldn't drop our standards because of our fans are cry-arsing about Burn and Targett.

The back line looked shaky towards the end of last season after the change in play style (and one clean sheet in the entire second half of the league season is not exactly the sort of numbers good back lines put up).  They’re even more likely to be exposed this coming season - an injection of pace is required.  And it is the right side which looks the weakest - Schar more than anyone else was becoming error prone towards the end of last season, not helped by Trippier being out of position regularly.  I’ve just watched the highlights of the Villa friendly - and while it’s just a warm-up game, those frailties looked like they were there. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The back line looked shaky towards the end of last season after the change in play style (and one clean sheet in the entire second half of the league season is not exactly the sort of numbers good back lines put up).  They’re even more likely to be exposed this coming season - an injection of pace is required.  And it is the right side which looks the weakest - Schar more than anyone else was becoming error prone towards the end of last season, not helped by Trippier being out of position regularly.  I’ve just watched the highlights of the Villa friendly - and while it’s just a warm-up game, those frailties looked like they were there. 

Getting a good pacy CB alongside Botman should be the priority now. I’m not sold on Burn at LB but if it was a choice of one more signing I’d go for a CB.

8 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Getting a good pacy CB alongside Botman should be the priority now. I’m not sold on Burn at LB but if it was a choice of one more signing I’d go for a CB.

Agreed - RCB is the obvious position to recruit into for me.  Botman is an excellent centre half, but he’s very slow for a PL defender.  A quick no.5 alongside him would help mop up

27 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Agreed - RCB is the obvious position to recruit into for me.  Botman is an excellent centre half, but he’s very slow for a PL defender.  A quick no.5 alongside him would help mop up

He’s in no way “slow”. I don’t understand that take whatsoever.

Let’s play a game to see who has got the most stupid fucking opinion on this forum. I’ll start us off - Eddie Howe isn’t a top manager. Anyone else want to outdo me?

Edited by AJ9

10 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Let’s play a game to see who has got the most stupid fucking opinion on this forum. I’ll start us off - Eddie Howe isn’t a top manager. Anyone else want to outdo me?

Steve Bruce wasn't that bad, fans were too harsh on him.

Silver fox deserves more credit for getting us to 5th

I've just come into this thread for the first time today and I saw this:

Screenshot_20230724-223921.png

The fuck is going on in here :lol:

Edited by 54

25 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Chris wood is a good striker

27 minutes ago, AJ9 said:

Mad dog Tindall didn’t come to Newcastle for the fanny in the Bigg market.

2 hours ago, jack j said:

Whats the guarantee of getting stronger though?

Ffp is being a huge pain in the cunt already to us and that's with us being champions league

If we come say 7th next season how will we be in a position of being able to get stronger?

We haven't seen anywhere near the benefits of Champions League yet.  We've only qualified, now we need to build on that.  Which doesn't have to mean finishing higher, it means putting ourselves more on the world stage and using that to build commercial income.  Even if that's only a excuse to give ourselves bigger deals through Saudi companies its hard to argue with.  A club that hasn't been in major European competition for ages has to be more recognised and prized after a full season in the biggest competition in the world.  I'd say growth is pretty much guaranteed because money isn't a issue, only rules, and rules can be bent.  Fear of losing money can stop ambition but rules never do in the end.