NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

If we need a senior centre-half, one of Burn or Lascelles had to be sold. I don't think that was ever happening. Two senior left sided CBs, two right-sided ones. Dummett has been given a new contract so he has to be considered as one. The quality in depth will gradually improve.

16 minutes ago, Dokko said:

If we don't sign a CB 100% botman is out for longer than expected and schar is sent off against Brighton.

Lascelles - Burn pairing is a damn good one for a team who has both their starting CBs out tbf

17 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Lascelles - Burn is such a alternate reality West Ham CB pairing from circa 2018.

We had Bramble and O'Brien at CB the last time we played at San siro ?

Edited by patrone

2 minutes ago, Ronson333 said:

We’ve also got Alex Murphy, and he looks decent, would put him in ahead of Dummett.

I still don't know why were using squad positions for Dummett & Ritchie. Both were finished before Howe came in. 

Expensive cheerleaders.

36 minutes ago, Dokko said:

I still don't know why were using squad positions for Dummett & Ritchie. Both were finished before Howe came in. 

Expensive cheerleaders.

Don't we need Dummett for the home grown quota of CL? 

40 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Expensive cheerleaders.

Or we don't have the money to replace the whole squad. They both fit into Howe's philosophy and are cheap short team solutions who can be relied upon. 

I’m getting the feeling that if we lose Botman or Schar to injury the new narrative anytime we lose a game will be that we should have signed a CB :lol:

Edited by Nine

1 hour ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If we need a senior centre-half, one of Burn or Lascelles had to be sold. I don't think that was ever happening. Two senior left sided CBs, two right-sided ones. Dummett has been given a new contract so he has to be considered as one. The quality in depth will gradually improve.

The problem is, we would be selling them for at best £8-10m, and a replacement who is under 28 would cost at least £35m, and for that money they might not even be much better. Look at Harry McGuire, he's stupidly expensive, and he's basically a rich man's Lascelles.

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

The only thing that makes me doubt that is Howe’s preference for inverted wingers, does he see Gordon as two footed and able to play on right, time will tell.

If not then Barnes is the signing with a question mark against it for me.

Almiron, winger and one footed as they come! 

34 minutes ago, TRon said:

The problem is, we would be selling them for at best £8-10m, and a replacement who is under 28 would cost at least £35m, and for that money they might not even be much better. Look at Harry McGuire, he's stupidly expensive, and he's basically a rich man's Lascelles.

But that's where the squad is at the minute. We have the senior numbers it's just quality depth wise in a few positions which will cost a lot more than FFP will allow us just yet. So for another year or two we'll still have the odd couple like this. 

17 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

But that's where the squad is at the minute. We have the senior numbers it's just quality depth wise in a few positions which will cost a lot more than FFP will allow us just yet. So for another year or two we'll still have the odd couple like this. 

Yep, there's no getting around it, we obviously only buy players we really want, and there isn't any central defenders that we can afford right now given FFP is still a major restriction.

43 minutes ago, CPL said:

We've been lucky with injuries so far but I would be confident that they would step in and do a job. 

What job though? Dummett was never great, but injuries and lack of playing time means he'd be a risk even for a Championship team, and Ritchie's legs went years ago. He's a sub appearance at best. Might as well give that time to a youngster and move them on.

Both are a waste of any place for squad registration, and if we're so hamstrung by FFP, then their wages off the books would help more than any contribution they'll give us on the pitch. 100% behind them being around the club training, going into coaching, but their playing days here are over, and that should reflect with lack of a playing contract.