NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

11 hours ago, BoSelecta said:

Trippier is off to Saudi in the summer if you believe the whispers, we should get Firmino money for him at least. 

Trippier moved back from Spain as his family struggled to settle, I can’t see him moving to Saudi. 

19 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

The fact you have to sell your best assets in order to buy just shows how fucked up FFP is. The take one step back two steps forward doesn’t always work. Top of my head, West Ham and Villa are two clubs who have navigated it well though.

Only if you don’t have any sellable assets in your squad - which of course was our issue.

The whole ‘Ashley actually helped NUFC for FFP’ was always complete bollocks.  The squad was borderline worthless - very few assets worth significant money, lots on stupid wages & ludicrously long contracts. 

Aye “look, you have no major debts” doesn’t land quite so well with the follow up “and look, you have zero assets too”.

Wouldn’t have been an issue really before FFP but having zero assets in the squad and having zero commercial revenue meant we were in a particularly terrible position regarding FFP once we smashed out two or three good windows 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Aye “look, you have no major debts” doesn’t land quite so well with the follow up “and look, you have zero assets too”.

Wouldn’t have been an issue really before FFP but having zero assets in the squad and having zero commercial revenue meant we were in a particularly terrible position regarding FFP once we smashed out two or three good windows 

Absolutely.  It’s only thanks to the brilliance of Howe & his coaching staff that a silk purse was made of out of sow’s ear of a squad.  He made Joelinton, Almiron, Longstaff, Schar etc into much, much better players than they were previously.  

28 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

True, though there was no real secret. They each sold their best player for 100m. 

Don't want to speak for him, but does he not mean that they coped well after selling their best player? As in, they reinvested it properly and performances didn't drop off?

2 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

Bruno’s FFP would be £14m remaining amortisation - it is by FY, not half years.

£120k pw is £6m per year, not £30m.  If you meant £12m, then that’s £230k pw, which is more than £50k more than our highest earner.

In terms of selling Bruno, there would be a profit of £86m, and c.£10m off the wage bill.  So £100m in that year.

Transfers are amortised, so say you buy three players for £80m over a five year contract.  That’s £48m in fees per year.  Plus wages of say £200k pw all in - each.  That’s £31.5m.  So with the sale of Bruno you could buy three £80m players.  

The sale of one big player goes a looong way. 

Accounting for what the wages would cost over the 5 years of a contract. It totals to 30mill. 

1 minute ago, aussiemag said:

Accounting for what the wages would cost over the 5 years of a contract. It totals to 30mill. 

Got you :) makes sense

In terms of FFP it wouldn’t be an issue necessarily - but you’d need to ensure future revenues cover you. 

12 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

The club are playing with a straight bat - so we are where we are.  We don’t bring the money in to go crackers in the market.  Take 22/23, when we finished 4th.  Football clubs will produce their accounts around the end of April.  We’re likely to have had an income around £260-280m - which is a massive increase.  Spurs - the poorest of the sky six - will likely show a big drop from the year before, but will still likely post £440-470m. 

What am i missing? A turnover increase of £80-£100m from 2022?

14 hours ago, gdm said:

I have very low expectations for this window. Think we’ll end up with Phillips and that’ll be it. 

saw some vague Twitter rumours about scouting Gyokeres. Both strikers from Sweden would interesting 

Tbh I think if we can get Phillips that would cover our major concern for the rest of the season. We don't really have a natural no 6, and you would think he would plug some gaps defensively we've seen this season. Barnes and Murphy should be back this month and that gives us more wide options. Another striker would be ideal but I don't think it will happen.

1 hour ago, Shearergol said:

Don't want to speak for him, but does he not mean that they coped well after selling their best player? As in, they reinvested it properly and performances didn't drop off?

Exactly, yes. You could argue Liverpool have been the masters at this over the years, they have made some really good transfer business.

Edited by black_n_white

Anyone who thinks we’d cope well by selling Bruno needs to have their head checked.

Yeah we’d make a healthy profit but how much would a replacement cost, even if you could find one?

Weve got a solid 5 years of prime Bruno to look forward to. He never had all that much pace to start with so he’ll continue as is.. just become more efficient and experienced.

I wouldn’t sell even for 200m

Just now, Dr.Spaceman said:

We'd need to go on one hell of a recruitment drive to replace Bruno whilst improving the overall squad.

That’s the thing, unless you believe we can do a Brighton-style recruitment of loads or cheap but class lads. 

18 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That’s the thing, unless you believe we can do a Brighton-style recruitment of loads or cheap but class lads. 

I like forming some sort of attachment to our first team squad, would hate to see us sell someone like Miley 18 months after breaking into the first team. I want us to have our own Vincent Kompany, David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne's to look back on in 10-15 years.

January is always a difficult time to bring in reinforcements. Combine that with being the richest club in the world and strict FFP to abide by results in maybe Kalvin Phillips, I'd even be surprised if he came in to be honest!

17 hours ago, LFEE said:

Saka? … Not think he’s being slowly sussed out?

Feel for him as he’s a very good player being overplayed by Arsenal & England.

No - just tired, lacking a bit of confidence.

At his best 1v1 is near unstoppable. He's too quick & too strong for 90% of fullbacks.

12 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I like forming some sort of attachment to our first team squad, would hate to see us sell someone like Miley 18 months after breaking into the first team. I want us to have our own Vincent Kompany, David Silva and Kevin De Bruyne's to look back on in 10-15 years.

I think we are more likely to see our Bale's & Berbatov's before you see our Son's.

12 minutes ago, andycap said:

No rumours at all. if isak gets injured we are knackered like. 

The first we heard of Isak signing was when he was on the plane over. Similar with Bruno. Similar with Tonali in that news broke and the deal was pretty much done. The only long drawn out transfer has been Botman, and that was because we didn't get him in the prior window. 

So I'm not saying you're saying this, but the notion that we mustn't be doing anything because it's not splashed all over the Chronicles front page is baffling to me.

The club has shown it doesn't go talking and concludes deals in a timely manner. 

6 minutes ago, TBG said:

The first we heard of Isak signing was when he was on the plane over. Similar with Bruno. Similar with Tonali in that news broke and the deal was pretty much done. The only long drawn out transfer has been Botman, and that was because we didn't get him in the prior window. 

So I'm not saying you're saying this, but the notion that we mustn't be doing anything because it's not splashed all over the Chronicles front page is baffling to me.

The club has shown it doesn't go talking and concludes deals in a timely manner. 

Yes, everything we hear about and read about transfer rumours is almost certainly nearly always 100% the opposite of the truth.