NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Just now, Dokko said:

£90k avg for our players would suggest those numbers are low. 

If so that’s even better for us, as if your figures are right it might be closer to £16m saved per season for the OOC players 

27 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

If so that’s even better for us, as if your figures are right it might be closer to £16m saved per season for the OOC players 

Yes the figures you quoted will be gross to them. Add Ers NIC and Pension and you can add another 18-20%

42 minutes ago, NSG said:

Surely we accrued Hayden, Fraser, Hendrick and Lewis as onerous in the last accounts.

Two of those were first teamers when we wrote off some contracts so doubt it. We will still be paying a huge part of their wages this season too

2 minutes ago, Isaksbigrightfoot said:

Yes the figures you quoted will be gross to them. Add Ers NIC and Pension and you can add another 18-20%

So, that should give us around an extra £15m in the summer and about £20m if we can also offload the dead wood. 

He’s a very good writer. What makes good sports journalism? 

Inside info that others don’t have access to 

fantastic analysis 

great writing

He ticks the last box but not the other two

2 hours ago, SteV said:

Have Everton fans not turned on him due to the way he missed that penalty in the shootout against Fulham, or was that just a social media thing?

No idea, but that was funny. :lol:

10 minutes ago, gbandit said:

He’s a very good writer. What makes good sports journalism? 

Inside info that others don’t have access to 

fantastic analysis 

great writing

He ticks the last box but not the other two

Also putting friendships aside to stay objective. He was good mates with Steve Harper and I think that affected what he wrote at times.

3 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Pretty sure other players were sold for lesser fees that could have improved us. I’m not the scout. 

Im saying strategically putting all of your FFP eggs in one basket is risky. 

We didn’t though, we spent £35-40M on Barnes, £35M on Livramento and  £30M on an obligation to buy on Hall? Not to mention £8M on Minteh and a lot of nominal fees on players for the academy. You’re literally arguing about something that didn’t happen ??‍♂️ all because the main signing we made got banned, not because we didn’t need another midfielder last summer

2 hours ago, Lotus said:

I think we need a midfielder who does his defensive work actually facing the opposition. Too often all but the back 4 do their best defensive work facing their own goal, running back, surprising, disrupting or nicking the ball as the opponents run towards our goal. Just to have someone who could actually be facing the play from midfield when we lose the ball and get caught in transition would help immensely.

Their skill set should in no way be limited to tackling or intercepting and then laying the ball off but having the situational and positional awareness to drop back 10 yards facing play when we could look vulnerable would be massive.

If they can play make from a deep position too then we’ve got a winner.

I agree. Think you’re desiring/describing Phillips, who ‘tidies up’ nicely, but has a great range of passing. 

3 hours ago, Pixelphish said:

I feel like Caulkin use to be good?

Depends what you're after.  I can't remember the last story he broke so he's no good if you're after that.

He has good contacts the club so gets some decent in depth pieces focusing on the human side of things.

By his own admission he's not a tactics guy, for me he takes too much pride in his ignorance given its kind of his job to know this stuff.

He has a clearly defined writing style and for me leans to heavily on certain tropes, but some people seem to love his style.

Edited by Geordie_once_removed

Onana has looked really good in the games I have seen him this season, he is also young with plenty of room to develop.

I understand reservations about us going for physical attributes over ability on the ball but is the type of midfielder Howe prefers.

6 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Onana has looked really good in the games I have seen him this season, he is also young with plenty of room to develop.

I understand reservations about us going for physical attributes over ability on the ball but is the type of midfielder Howe prefers.

I love Howe for what he  has done so far, and he has done amazingly and I’m sure he will make us even better. But, IF (big if) he does prioritise physical ability over football ability too much then I personally don’t think he will ever take us to the very very top. I’m speaking hypothetically here right now. The summer window will tell us very much about what route we will go. Technical ability is key, and we are weak in this department overall. Fingers crossed we get it right. 

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I love Howe for what he  has done so far, and he has done amazingly and I’m sure he will make us even better. But, IF (big if) he does prioritise physical ability over football ability too much then I personally don’t think he will ever take us to the very very top. I’m speaking hypothetically here right now. The summer window will tell us very much about what route we will go. Technical ability is key, and we are weak in this department overall. Fingers crossed we get it right. 

I presume we are talking CM here? 

Our defence has very good technical ability, Schar, Botman and Tripper.

Bruno is fantastic technically.

Liverpool won the league without any technical players in CM or at least nowhere near the level of Man City's CM.

What made the difference for them is that they had Salah, Mane and Firmino as front 3, which guaranteed them 50 goals a season.

In short, yes good technical players are preferable but it's not absolutely essential. What is essential is that we have CMs who can do the high intensity stuff, since that's Howe style. If you want tika-taka we've got the wrong man anyway. If we can find players who can do both, well...

Anyway, I'd like to see how we fair with another star on the right hand side first and an Isak who players more games.

Sometimes the solution to problems is far simpler, we need more players who can score goals.

Liverpool have Salah, Nunez, Gakpo, Jota and Diaz.... we have Isak, Gordon (who's a work in progress) and Wilson who can't stay fit. Get two more quality attacking players in, get Barnes back up to speed and our CM "issues" won't seem so much an issue.

17 minutes ago, Ikon said:

That’s a fair comment. One which can and should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Howe is unproven at the highest level so it remains to be seen if he can really cut it at the very elite status.

So far he has done extremely well and can only learn from the experience (not mistakes) as he finds his way.

We need to support him to the hilt on his and our journey.

If he can’t take us further I am sure he will admit that.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

I presume we are talking CM here? 

Our defence has very good technical ability, Schar, Botman and Tripper.

Bruno is fantastic technically.

Liverpool won the league without any technical players in CM or at least nowhere near the level of Man City's CM.

What made the difference for them is that they had Salah, Mane and Firmino as front 3, which guaranteed them 50 goals a season.

In short, yes good technical players are preferable but it's not absolutely essential. What is essential is that we have CMs who can do the high intensity stuff, since that's Howe style. If you want tika-taka we've got the wrong man anyway. If we can find players who can do both, well...

Anyway, I'd like to see how we fair with another star on the right hand side first and an Isak who players more games.

Sometimes the solution to problems is far simpler, we need more players who can score goals.

Liverpool have Salah, Nunez, Gakpo, Jota and Diaz.... we have Isak, Gordon (who's a work in progress) and Wilson who can't stay fit. Get two more quality attacking players in, get Barnes back up to speed and our CM "issues" won't seem so much an issue.

Yes the sad thing is although I love Miggy he isn’t elite.

Isak has the potential to be top level.

So does Gordon. He is the future. We need not worry about those two positions for years.

But it’s that RW which isn’t getting us goals.

our midfield can be workhorses to get the ball to the front three.

I think Gordon could be one of 4/5 attackers. Isak is a star. Barnes we will see but ultimately we need a couple more and not just decent ones, proper stars.

1 hour ago, Geordie_once_removed said:

Depends what you're after.  I can't remember the last story he broke so he's no good if you're after that.

He has good contacts the club so gets some decent in depth pieces focusing on the human side of things.

By his own admission he's not a tactics guy, for me he takes too much pride in his ignorance given it's his kind of his job to know this stuff.

He has a clearly defined writing style and for me leans to heavily on certain tropes, but some people seem to love his style.

Not for me.  Lots of Nick Hornby-lite pieces for me.

Each to their own, of course.  I just find that misty-eyed football writing bores me.