NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

We had 4 to 5 pages of discussion. Wish people just wouldn't post their opinions. Making us look like a forum.

Spoken like a true rager. 

25 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Most normal forums can have discussion without people pissing themselves mind

Typically the same bunch.

Same thing happened when we signed Gordon. Or over the summer when there was any hint of a link to McTominay or Gallagher.

On 16/02/2024 at 13:55, ponsaelius said:

Too expensive and too old at 28 this summer to fit into our budget. He's a 'last piece of puzzle' type player for somebody like Arsenal.

We won't be allowed to buy young and develop players for the full squad so I still think we should buy oven ready players that would have an immediate impact, Toney in our squad would get us into Europe this season

4 hours ago, Ben said:

We won't be allowed to buy young and develop players for the full squad so I still think we should buy oven ready players that would have an immediate impact, Toney in our squad would get us into Europe this season

Always good to have a mix, but Toney isn't a player we have room for if we're keeping Isak. 

For the striker position the ideal mix imo for optimal performance/rotation/development is to have 1 superstar (Isak or Toney), 1 mega talent and if finances allows it 1 experienced emergency 3rd choice.

Just now, lovejoy said:

I thought solanke and Kelly looked good for Bournemouth today. I’d take both.

Kelly was good a lot of the time. But there was plenty of space in behind him. Luckily for him, it was mainly Almiron wasting the opportunity. Be decent on a free. 

Solanke was a handful. He missed two great chances, mind and got gifted the first. He’d cost far too much money in comparison to how good he actually is. 

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

Kelly was good a lot of the time. But there was plenty of space in behind him. Luckily for him, it was mainly Almiron wasting the opportunity. Be decent on a free. 

Solanke was a handful. He missed two great chances, mind and got gifted the first. He’d cost far too much money in comparison to how good he actually is. 

I’m not sure I’ve seen a Centre forward trouble botman as much as solanke did today. Probably right on the fee though.

If the internet is to be believed we could double his wages and he’d be on the same as Krafth. Not sure if the likes of Liverpool or Spurs will drive his demands much higher though.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I’d snap Kelly up if he’s available and happy to come.  Solanke I would as an Isak back-up, but I don’t think he’d be available for the sort of fee you comfortably pay for a back up centre forward

Wouldn't really be a back up considering how often Isak is injured. Plus you could have then both playing at the same time anyway if needed. 

Solanke and Isak doing what Wilson and Isak did last year would be a step up IMO.

8 hours ago, lovejoy said:

I’m not sure I’ve seen a Centre forward trouble botman as much as solanke did today. Probably right on the fee though.

Not sure I’d read too much into that, myself. Botman has been troubled by plenty since coming back from injury. He was never fast, but he looks less agile and not as dominant physically.

He was given a hard time by Awoniyi last week. He is a big fucker, TBF. Watkins was awkward for different reasons. But the back 5 were decent as a collective against Villa. 

Not trying to be smart after the event. I’ve said this a few times of late. 

23 minutes ago, Mazzy said:

Wouldn't really be a back up considering how often Isak is injured. Plus you could have then both playing at the same time anyway if needed. 

Solanke and Isak doing what Wilson and Isak did last year would be a step up IMO.

I think a fit Wilson is a better centre forward than Solanke tbh, but we definitely can’t go on with two injury prone CFs

The LB situation needs sorting, Miggy needs upgrading, we need a reliable 2nd striker and we probably need a pacey centre half. That’s even before there’s a discussion on what Tonali offers and whether we need a 6 type player because Longstaff isn’t the option in terms of starting moving forwards. Good squad player yes.

Edit: Will add there’s the basis of a very good squad here already but major changes needed in the summer. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

12 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

I think a fit Wilson is a better centre forward than Solanke tbh, but we definitely can’t go on with two injury prone CFs

That’s the frustration with Wilson, his ability just isn’t matched by his fitness. He is that bit older now though too. I’d be happy if he stayed as a 3rd striker option as if we get some form of Europe there’ll still be plenty games. Whether he’d be happy with that or whether the club might just look to offload him instead, who knows. Either way we need a sturdy 2nd option to Isak whose own lack of durability is a concern 

12 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

The LB situation needs sorting, Miggy needs upgrading, we need a reliable 2nd striker and we probably need a pacey centre half. That’s even before there’s a discussion on what Tonali offers and whether we need a 6 type player because Longstaff isn’t the option in terms of starting moving forwards. Good squad player yes.

Edit: Will add there’s the basis of a very good squad here already but major changes needed in the summer. 

These are my thoughts.

I'd also say that I'd like us to be smart in the market. We don't HAVE to spend 40/50m on each position.

Can we find a bosman or someone in the last year of their contract? I'm not saying change our transfer policy but we signed Trippier in his twilight years. Is there something that can be done there?

One of my pet hates, transfer-wise, is the inability to think outside the box because we have a stringent "policy". 

Tosin at Fulham is a great example of this. He's on a free (well kind of). He'd be a superb, low cost addition to our defence but if he wants slightly more in wages because he's out of contract, will we do a deal? Or would we rather spend 40m on someone who may be sitting on the bench.

6 minutes ago, STM said:

These are my thoughts.

I'd also say that I'd like us to be smart in the market. We don't HAVE to spend 40/50m on each position.

Can we find a bosman or someone in the last year of their contract? I'm not saying change our transfer policy but we signed Trippier in his twilight years. Is there something that can be done there?

One of my pet hates, transfer-wise, is the inability to think outside the box because we have a stringent "policy". 

Yeah Brighton seem to manage pretty well signing quality for minimal outlay.

The LB situation needs sorting though. If he doesn’t rate Hall or something is going on, go out and sign a proper LB in the summer. 

Miggy is a good squad player and I love his effort but if he’s starting next season, Christ. 

Im intrigued to see what happens with Tonali, I think he can do very well but it depends what system they play. Defence needs more protection whether that’s from a more 6 type player. The Joelinton situation is interesting too, I hope he stays.

I also hope they can improve Isak’s durability whether that’s strength training/conditioning or whatever because he’s no good sat on the sidelines and you can’t have a situation where you have two strikers and the back up has even more fitness concerns than the starter ?

Edited by ExiledGeordie