NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, TRon said:

That's assuming the links are genuine, which they almost certainly aren't. Even if Eddie fancied Bowen - and he's a good player - I just don't see our hierarchy signing off on it. Not every rumour is genuine.

They do seem to be the 3 or 4 players we are consistently linked with. Especially Elanga & Madueke

Bowen would be great but he's shacked up with the most cockney lass on the planet and they've just had twins. I can't see her being desperate to move 300 miles north.

Ultimately don't think Bowen will happen. I actually reckon it will end up being Elanga. I know it isn't as exciting on the surface, but seeing what Howe has turned Gordon into I think it could be a very exciting prospect. 

I get he'd cost a lot with his age and our psr issues but he'd be an excellent signing even so.

Another confusing example of the paradoxical nature of our fans. Uproar when an unproven youngster is sold for profit, then not happy with proven quality like Bowen because we can't sell him for profit. It's not a case of make your mind up, some players we sign will be signed to be sold, other's in the Bowen ilk anything but. 

1 minute ago, sushimonster85 said:

Ultimately don't think Bowen will happen. I actually reckon it will end up being Elanga. I know it isn't as exciting on the surface, but seeing what Howe has turned Gordon into I think it could be a very exciting prospect. 

I don’t think we end up with Elanga personally. We could have obviously tried to get him last summer for cheaper than what he would be now. 

2 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Elanga would be as underwhelming as it gets. 

Just now, Stuy_O said:

I get he'd cost a lot with his age and our psr issues but he'd be an excellent signing even so.

Another confusing example of the paradoxical nature of our fans. Uproar when an unproven youngster is sold for profit, then not happy with proven quality like Bowen because we can't sell him for profit. It's not a case of make your mind up, some players we sign will be signed to be sold, other's in the Bowen ilk anything but. 

Eh not really :lol:

we got great money for both Minteh and Anderson I would have sold both too. 

I think some of us on here realise that the only way for us to bridge the financial gap is to trade players acquire aggressively at that. 

5 minutes ago, sushimonster85 said:

Elanga would be pretty underwhelming if he was to come in as our main RW signing. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

West Ham want 100 million for Bowen apparently. 

Apparently Newcastle believe that to be ‘nonsense’

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Eh not really :lol:

we got great money for both Minteh and Anderson I would have sold both too. 

I think some of us on here realise that the only way for us to bridge the financial gap is to trade players acquire aggressively at that. 

Well not every fan clearly, but plenty were very unhappy at Minteh leaving - even at what we got. 

I'm not fussed either way on Bowen fwiw, just trying to say on the differences on why players are signed. You aren't buying Bowen for accounting, his value is what he brings to the pitch. 

Edited by Stuy_O

Posted (edited)

I think part of the reason we sign a decent number of Premier League players is in a way because of FFP issues. A couple of big misses in the transfer market could really stuff us, so buying PL proven players reduces the chance of a signing flopping.

That said, our general strategy the first couple of windows of bringing in a couple of fancy pants signings from abroad and a couple of pragmatic domestic signings worked extremely well in upgrading our squad and team quickly.

Also I'd say we've built the majority of a team now, so to take us to the next level a top guy on the RW would be a good signing, even if expensive. Assuming everyone's fit we've got something like below. Bolded players are guys who could be very good long-term starters. Schar and Pope have an asterisk as both are quality but Schar's age and Pope's kicking means we may be planning an upgrade in the next year or two.

Gordon          Isak          Miggy/Murphy

Big Joe    Bruno    Sandro

Hall    Botman   Schar*    Tino

Pope*

Splurging some cash on a top good-to-go RW would seem an obvious way to improve the 1st team and though expensive in its own right, given it's the main area of weakness might actually give a good cost-to-improvement ratio.

Edited by Checko

Posted (edited)

Bowen would cost a lot, and I think he's a bit over-rated.

Madueke yes please, but I imagine his wages could be a barrier. Elanga is the more realistic.

Edited by Cronky

Just now, Stuy_O said:

Well not every fan clearly, but plenty were very unhappy at Minteh leaving - even at what we got. 

I'm not fussed either on Bowen fwiw, just trying to say on the differences on why players are signed. You aren't buying Bowen for accounting, his value is what he brings to the pitch. 

The problem is in this era you can’t look past the accounting. It’s depressing I know but this is the reality of football. 

A lot of people’s frustration regarding Minteh is he seems to have a lot of promise in a position where we are badly lacking and he’s been bought by one of the clubs who are adept at talent spotting for a record fee. I understand and the respect the view but we have no choice and it was the most palatable option.

Bowen would be expensive and ideally I would prefer someone younger, but he is about as close to guaranteed 15+ goals a season from the wing as you can get.  Our frontline with him, Isak and Gordon would be scary good.

2 minutes ago, loki679 said:

If we're having to skirt around PSR then buying English players from the PL is the stupidest thing we could do. :lol:

Our FFP issues will be less acute moving forward we age more revenue and ideally more players with resale value on the books. That being said, we still need to be pragmatic about things. 

2 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Bowen would cost a lot, and I think he's a bit over-rated.

Madueke yes please, but I imagine his wages could be a barrier. Elanga is the more realistic.

How can u think Bowen is over rated then say Madueke yes please. I appreciate it’s your opinion but Madueke has done absolutely nothing at Chelsea. He’s most notable for arguing over a penalty. Baffles me