NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, gdm said:

Surely the reason you bring a guy like Mitchell in is to not do something like this. This has Eddie written all over it but I hope with Mitchell in its history at this point.

Bowen seems like a complete non-starter to me (age, fee, wages). Someone like PSV's Bakayoko who we were reportedly interested in last year, seems much more likely. There were rumours of Saudi interest (Al-Hilal) in him yesterday - maybe someone got the wrong end of the stick?

26 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ok.

And we'll add £20m to our costs for the next few years (wages and amortisation costs) for a player that will depreciate in value.

Lad is rumoured to earn £120k and has 6 years left on his deal. What are we going to offer him? £150k for the same length?

Unless we have some major new revenue streams coming in. Like... major. It doesn't make sense.

But fairs.

The major revenue stream will have to be regular Champions League football, at least until we get to Stadium sponsorship etc. Nothing else is going to add (minimum) £30m+ per year to our income.

If we don't get Bowen, it'll be someone else so it may be £10m per year and £100k/week rather than £20m per year and £150k/week. That "saving" might end up costing us if the player is a bust and a younger player still carries the risk of depreciating in value, that's not exclusive to someone like Bowen.

5 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Surely the reason you bring a guy like Mitchell in is to not do something like this. This has Eddie written all over it but I hope with Mitchell in its history at this point.

We're not doing this. It's a dead rumour to fill up space. 27, big contract and 6 years remaining. We've not entertained such a deal since the takeover & there is nothing to suggest we will now. 

47 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

Just playing Devil's advocate on the arguments about Bowen and PSR etc

There is a certain advantage in bringing in a player you are sure (or as sure as you can be) will hit the ground running and be productive in the PL. You could save £30m or so on a talent from overseas but if they take 6-12 months to settle (or don't settle at all) and you end up missing out on CL football then that £30m saved ends up being £30m (or more) lost in revenue.

The problem is, buying Bowen doesn't guarantee you CL, you could spend that money and miss out regardless, because there ARE still at least 4 teams with a more expensive squad, and more spending power to increase the gap further.

The only sustainable way to catch them while FFP restrictions apply is to keep buying younger players who appreciate in value and we can sell for a huge fee.

That's not to say we won't buy a 27 year old gold standard player, I'm just not convinced Bowen is the one. Hopefully a year down the line, the whole FFP/PSR construct comes crashing down and we can just buy players without looking at the spreadsheets two years down the line.

9 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Bowen seems like a complete non-starter to me (age, fee, wages). Someone like PSV's Bakayoko who we were reportedly interested in last year, seems much more likely. There were rumours of Saudi interest (Al-Hilal) in him yesterday - maybe someone got the wrong end of the stick?

You rate him higher than Minteh?

Same position. Same foot. Same league. Bakayoko has more experience and is a year older. 

14 minutes ago, McCormick said:

If we want to make up ground we need to buy the best we can get right now, not mess around for 2 seasons developing prospects while our league position suffers; meanwhile our best players are being yanked off of us by CL teams.

I get the whole PSR angle but the best way increase our revenues is to be successful; prize money and better commercial opportunities will follow. What we’ll be doing is buying for the here and now while also developing highly rated prospects. I believe that’s how we move forward as a club. 

Yeah, this is the thing really. With Isak and Bruno specifically, who are attracting a lot of interest, we have to push a bit harder this season, and really have to aim for a top 4 finish again.

The easiest way to do this is to just sign a player already producing in the league in that right wing position. Unfortunately, the options are quite slim. Looking purely at production, it's Bowen, Olise, Mbeumo and Elanga that are possibilities, and Olise is already off the table.

Bowen feels a bit forced too be honest, as I think we're looking at £60 million minimum, and more likely around £75 million. The wages will be significant too.

Elanga had a good season just gone, but he's only just come through, and so could end up being quite inconsistent.

Mbeumo seems like a good compromise, but then I have a feeling the fact he represents Cameroon may be an issue. There's no AFCON this year, but the next one is in 2025. Maybe they don't think the squad is in a place yet to manage that.

Really think this signing is going to be a big call, and ideally should probably be someone experienced from abroad that we're confident will do the business, but who wouldn't blow the bank. Then perhaps we could even sign a couple in that position.

Otherwise maybe the Championship is the way to go? Two of Summerville, Sara and Whittaker and see who claims that spot.

Chiesa WITH someone like Elanga or Summerville I'd be ok with. 
Would prefer more imaginative names but need one elite and a younger. 

Madueke was bought for 29.5m so bare minimum would be 40m you would imagine. 

Nico Williams is 49m (although probably out of reach). 

Raphinia is second choice now with Yamal first choice. He would make more sense even though same age as Bowen. Cheaper, the Brazilian connection, ex-PL experience etc. 

44 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

We still need players who can hit the ground running and are proven too, though? Bowen would transform us imo, would be looking top 3-4 contenders. 

Agreed - he would be a great signing, type of player who could instantly hit the ground running

8 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Chiesa WITH someone like Elanga or Summerville I'd be ok with. 
Would prefer more imaginative names but need one elite and a younger. 

Madueke was bought for 29.5m so bare minimum would be 40m you would imagine. 

Nico Williams is 49m (although probably out of reach). 

Raphinia is second choice now with Yamal first choice. He would make more sense even though same age as Bowen. Cheaper, the Brazilian connection, ex-PL experience etc. 

Mate I think you'll need to be happy with one new RW.

Would be thrilled to be wrong ab that.

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Fair. I just think that it’s not as out of the question as many are making out. A 65m+ offer comes in and they’re at least picking up the phone.

Why would they though? He’s part of the fabric of the club. It’s like us receiving an offer for Gordon at £65m, he’s worth much more to them and they’d then need to replace him.

Bowen is a bad signing. Very expensive and nearly 28 years old. And Elanga is average. You should start to buy abroad. But Howe wants only PL players. And the cost of PL players is very inflated.

1 hour ago, Matt1892 said:

Madueke has the potential to go up a few levels if he can get a consistent run in a team.

Who id like as well if we keep it 'sensible'. He's probably been in England youth squads with  any combination of Gordon/Tino/Hall as well? Not that it matters much but they might sell us a bit.

1 hour ago, gdm said:

How can u think Bowen is over rated then say Madueke yes please. I appreciate it’s your opinion but Madueke has done absolutely nothing at Chelsea. He’s most notable for arguing over a penalty. Baffles me

I think there's room for improvement with Madueke, and Eddie has a way of bringing out the best in players. The talent is there.

Bowen is 5 years older, and I think has already peaked. Good athlete, but not particularly great on the technical side, would be my view. 

Bowen talk feels like it has to be a smokescreen. He’d be ideal, but there are too many factors against it happening.

Contract until 2030 so would cost a kings ransom with little resale value. 

West Ham likely to lose Pacqueta for nothing due to a ban or loan back to Brazil. They can’t lose their other main man for anything less than daft money. 

If we’ve only got 100m to spend as rumoured it’s seem madness. 

19 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

You rate him higher than Minteh?

Same position. Same foot. Same league. Bakayoko has more experience and is a year older. 

I’d rate them similar. Bakayoko seems more technical, whereas Minteh has more pace. Funny how PSR could make it financially worthwhile to trade one for the other even if it means we pay much more for Bakayoko than we did, or even have received, for Minteh.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, jigen said:

Bowen is a bad signing. Very expensive and nearly 28 years old. And Elanga is average. You should start to buy abroad. But Howe wants only PL players. And the cost of PL players is very inflated.

I'm so bored of this nonsense.  We have bought players from abroad and at home since Howe has been manager - the 'Howe only wants premier league players' patter is just nonsense.  He wants players who fit into the team/squad and that is easier to judge when buying from the premier league, but we have proved we will buy from abroad when the style and character of a player matches up.

Edited by simonsays

1 minute ago, jigen said:

You should buy Cherky. Top talent, young, bargain price (only 1 year of contract left). Or Desire Doué. 

Who do you support, Jigen?

There’s a few rumours we are waiting for PL sign off for a couple of new commercial deals (and getting unhappy at the time it’s taking)

wouldn’t surprise me if we are waiting for the green light with those before deciding what moves to make in the market. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

Alex Crook on Talksport said he’s the one to watch out for regarding us.

Can only mean Gordon moving to the right or Liverpool...

5 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

I’d rate them similar. Bakayoko seems more technical, whereas Minteh has more pace. Funny how PSR could make it financially worthwhile to trade one for the other even if it means we pay much more for Bakayoko than we did, or even have received, for Minteh.

From the clips i've seen I would agree. I think Minteh looks more devastating  in the final 3rd. Has that killer pace. Bakayako looks more developed physically and gets involved in general play more. Doesn't have that bit of wow factor I think Minteh has. I'm less confident on Bakayoko because he's not as fast.

56 minutes ago, Keegans Export said:

The major revenue stream will have to be regular Champions League football, at least until we get to Stadium sponsorship etc. Nothing else is going to add (minimum) £30m+ per year to our income.

If we don't get Bowen, it'll be someone else so it may be £10m per year and £100k/week rather than £20m per year and £150k/week. That "saving" might end up costing us if the player is a bust and a younger player still carries the risk of depreciating in value, that's not exclusive to someone like Bowen.

That’s basically paying more than we could afford in order to gamble for top 4 finish. So even if we achieved our best possible results, we could just balance the book.

And, if we failed, another fire sale before next June 30.

You sure?