NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

32 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Your links here do not prove or show Eddie has the final say. I'm sorry can your copy and paste the exact statement from the articles that lead you to making that assumption. I might have missed it whilst reading them. 

Going into a champions league campaign, premier league season and Cup competitions, you were okay with Gordon being the only option at LW (who we bought in the winter window) being the replacement on ASM (who we sold in the summer) I think going into the season with Barnes and Gordon as our options at LW was fantastic business. 

Willock was playing down the left and we signed Tonali to strengthen the midfield, think the lack of quality on right was glaring for a club going into the CL.

29 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

If I may recall the episode correctly, it was Dan Ashworth who presented the idea to Staveley and the board. He expressed his belief that Gordon aligns with the profile of the player the club is seeking. Therefore, it would have been a collective decision, with Dan and Eddie likely sharing the same perspective. I believe that Mitchell is seeking a similar collaborative relationship.

On the 2nd bit, No manager with any self-respect would ever agree to that. Just look at Poch at Chelsea. Those are exactly the kind of assurances Eddie was looking for from the board. Only a "yes man" manager would agree to that.

It’s the scene in the car when Amanda is on the phone I’m thinking of will have to watch it back.

Ideally yes it’s a good working relationship between Howe and Mitchell and they mutually come to an agreement, but you could also argue no high profile DOF like Mitchell will want the manager having final say over him, the last article I posted suggests Howe is willing to work collaboratively with Mitchell providing he has input which is the ideal scenario for everyone, but a DOF has to have final say and should be overseeing the strategy and mapping out future windows taking into account the optimum time to cash in on players so we are compliant with PSR and can keep moving forward sustainably.

14 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I cant for the life of me understand how anyone would want a management structure where manager of the team gets pulled rank on for transfer decisions. 

Couldn’t agree more, there’s only so much one h7man is capable of doing effectively. [emoji38]

Mitchell has found some great talent throughout his career and should be tasked with doing the same for us with potential transfer selections found through data and scouting systems filtered through our collective brain trust. That’s how club’s succeed, as a collective. 

Howe has held back our transfer progress with this idea of final says etc....we need to get bodies in ASAP with or without his approval the season is so close that anyone who signs now wont play because of his usual mind set of them needing weeks before they fit in....I think Saudis will not be happy if signings are not picked to play because Longstaff etc are known entities. Just my reading of it.

32 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

Howe has held back our transfer progress with this idea of final says etc....we need to get bodies in ASAP with or without his approval the season is so close that anyone who signs now wont play because of his usual mind set of them needing weeks before they fit in....I think Saudis will not be happy if signings are not picked to play because Longstaff etc are known entities. Just my reading of it.

We're lucky this is completely made up.

55 minutes ago, Terrymac1966 said:

When I went to rehab, we had to see a doctor to get prescribed medications to help with our mental health, depression and psychosis. Guys talked about hearing voices and how they completely misread or misunderstood reality.

Want me to send a packet of meds to help you out?

IMO Barnes was an opportunistic signing but there's some history being re-written here. Gordon hadn't nailed down that LW spot when we signed Barnes and one reason we went for a pure LW was that Gordon was seen as a LW/RW/SS. After few games into the season Gordon had been so good at LW that moving him to get Barnes in to the lineup didn't make sense anymore and the void at RW started to look worse. Didn't help that Barnes wasn't fit during the autumn/winter injury crisis when we had so few players available that we probably would've needed to move Gordon to RW for some games in any case.

In hindsight it's easy to say to that Barnes was unnecessary signing and the funds should've been used for a RW but it wasn't that clear when he was signed. In other universe Gordon was injured for most of the season and Barnes carried us at LW, there's always some luck and chance at play and criticizing decisions afterwards is never hard.

Edited by Pata

3 hours ago, Terrymac1966 said:

The solution to Eddie taking time with new signings is to sign players he doesn’t approve of? Seems reasonable.

Even though I agree that Mitchell should have the final say on transfer, which is the system top clubs are running today, for this summer, I think the club should just stick to Howe’s plan and sign 1-2 key targets, so that Howe can carry out the best of his tactics for the next six months.

Yes we still have five weeks. It also means we just have around 30 days left. The new arrival (if any) also takes time to fit in. I don't think Howe would be pleased by what’s going on.

6 hours ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s the scene in the car when Amanda is on the phone I’m thinking of will have to watch it back.

Ideally yes it’s a good working relationship between Howe and Mitchell and they mutually come to an agreement, but you could also argue no high profile DOF like Mitchell will want the manager having final say over him, the last article I posted suggests Howe is willing to work collaboratively with Mitchell providing he has input which is the ideal scenario for everyone, but a DOF has to have final say and should be overseeing the strategy and mapping out future windows taking into account the optimum time to cash in on players so we are compliant with PSR and can keep moving forward sustainably.

Eddie has never had the final say over the Director of Football, whether it was Ashworth or Mitchell. You're completely wrong about that.

As for the second part, what you said doesn't match up with the "widely reported" claim that Eddie has the final say. You do not have evidence for that assertion, you're grasping at straws and I think you're mistaken. But hey, it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, even if it's totally wrong.

41 minutes ago, tarie4 said:

Eddie has never had the final say over the Director of Football, whether it was Ashworth or Mitchell. You're completely wrong about that.

As for the second part, what you said doesn't match up with the "widely reported" claim that Eddie has the final say. You do not have evidence for that assertion, you're grasping at straws and I think you're mistaken. But hey, it's your opinion, and you're entitled to it, even if it's totally wrong.

I’ve backed it up with articles not by 2nd rate journalists either, Howe had final say on transfers it’s been well documented, there’s a committee but nobody comes in without Howe’s agreement, that’s not my opinion it’s out there.

As others have said they think that’s the way it should be and that’s fair enough.

Edited by Whitley mag

46 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

I’ve backed it up with articles not by 2nd rate journalists either, Howe had final say on transfers it’s been well documented, there’s a committee but nobody comes in without Howe’s agreement, that’s not my opinion it’s out there.

As others have said they think that’s the way it should be and that’s fair enough.

That's the way it should always be, why sign a player that the manager wouldn't want , have never understood it .

8 minutes ago, Geogaddi said:

That's the way it should always be, why sign a player that the manager wouldn't want , have never understood it .

Because the manager could be wrong, could have bias, and could be dismissed after a bad run. Modern manager has to be able to bring out the best of the players provided to him, and the squad improvement responsibility is assigned to the sporting director. 

in other words, you can’t put all your eggs into one basket.

I thought after Euros we’d see some movement, but not been the case. Starting to think the real shift in transfer policy is seeking out the number 1 target, and if they’re not available, playing the long game, and if it means no signing, it’s no signing. Also, depends on someone moving out too.

Avoids any FFP issues, and provides opportunity to move in January. 

Sort of approach that may frustrate Howe if he wants reinforcements, but then with Tonali back after a couple of games, Kelly in and like of Hall now more first team than start of last season, it’s three new players the club may see as improvement. So whilst it may annoy Howe and us fans wanting the new names, there’s no reason we can’t keep up same output as last season. Wait for that main buy, rather than a squad filler. 

As far as I'm aware, Nixon et all, would scout and pick targets, he would then present them to the transfer committee, and Howe would say if he would want them or not, and if he says he doesn't want them they wouldn't pursue it.

Fail to see how that's an issue like. In Fact the policy has been really successful in the main.

Edited by 54