NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

44 minutes ago, LFEE said:

What’s everyone’s take on Torres out of interest? Obviously remember him scoring a load against us one game and the odd appearance for Man City. I recall him being homesick and him returning back to Spain fairly quickly. Not seen him play for Barcelona.

Don’t think he’s the answer to our RW problems, however he would be an improvement on what we currently have.

I actually think buying a winger is the recruitment teams hardest task. Our right winger needs to not only have the quality, but needs to be able to press. They need to be really hard working and have plenty of stamina. Finding that amongst the quality needed won't be easy. It won't be about just identifying a winger who's available, the data will need to suggest that they're able to do what Howe wants no doubt.

Often last season we'd press their full back and if we were just a bit off it, a fraction of a second too late, they'd be able to play out, bypass our midfield and hit us on the break. Happened loads last season when we were knackered. If we play a winger who's press just isn't up to it, we'll get done and it'll cost goals.

A pressing winger is absolutely key to how we play and I reckon that's why Howe is hesitant to get rid of Murphy or Almiron. For all they lack in quality (Almiron more than Murphy) both fit his system and are able to hassle and harry opponents. 

Edited by Doctor Zaius

2 minutes ago, Doctor Zaius said:

I actually think buying a winger is the recruitment teams hardest task. Our right winger needs to not only have the quality, but needs to be able to press. They need to be really hard working and have plenty of stamina. Finding that amongst the quality needed won't be easy. It won't be about just identifying a winger who's available, the data will need to suggest that they're able to do what Howe wants no doubt.

Often last season we'd press their full back and if we were just a bit off it, a fraction of a second too late, they'd be able to play out, bypass our midfield and hit us on the break. Happened loads last season when we were knackered. If we play a winger who's press just isn't up to it, we'll get done and it'll cost goals.

A pressing winger is absolutely key to how we play and I reckon that's why Howe is hesitant to get rid of Murphy or Almiron. For all they lack in quality (Almiron more than Murphy) both fit his system and are able to hassle and harry opponents. 

Some good points raised there. I think until we have a RW who can change games, score goals regularly we’ll struggle to win away at the big teams. Get the point about pressing and work rate though. 

33 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I’m always a bit cautious about the idea when it comes to signing “cast offs” from the elite clubs. I’m just not sure if they still have the genuine hunger and desire after such a club. Usually come with massive wages as well. I’m sure there could be good signings made this way but I’d rather see us picking the absolute best players from lesser clubs. Tonali for example was different as he was a key player. Hypothetically someone like Raphinha would be great, but I just think that the perfect move for him would have been after Leeds if it was compared to now back then regarding our club and where we stand. 

I agree , we our now looking to compete in the top 4/6 on a regular basis so any player that isn't good enough for the other teams competing for the top 6 aren't good enough for us really . Unless we are talking about a Man City player but they operate in a totally different league to us . 

Edited by Geogaddi

35 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I’m always a bit cautious about the idea when it comes to signing “cast offs” from the elite clubs. I’m just not sure if they still have the genuine hunger and desire after such a club. Usually come with massive wages as well. I’m sure there could be good signings made this way but I’d rather see us picking the absolute best players from lesser clubs. Tonali for example was different as he was a key player. Hypothetically someone like Raphinha would be great, but I just think that the perfect move for him would have been after Leeds if it was compared to now back then regarding our club and where we stand. 

I agree with all of this.

Another way to look at it maybe if we don't get a RW is that Gordon can play there, Murphy good squad player, injury to Barnes and Hall/Isak/Joelinton/Willock can play left wing. Osula I think can play right and also have Sanusi coming through. There's a flexibility at the back of sign Guehi as can play a 3 there with Burn and Schar/Kelly. Kelly and Burn can play left back and have Livramento/Krafth/Murphy and Trippier that could play right. 

There is a possibility our desired RW isn't available this window, so the club may want to wait until they are available, rather then spend funds on someone who we don't think is the ideal fit, would be ashame if so

Though I'd still hope there's an young up and comer type with high potential 

3 minutes ago, nufc4eva said:

Another way to look at it maybe if we don't get a RW is that Gordon can play there, Murphy good squad player, injury to Barnes and Hall/Isak/Joelinton/Willock can play left wing. Osula I think can play right and also have Sanusi coming through. There's a flexibility at the back of sign Guehi as can play a 3 there with Burn and Schar/Kelly. Kelly and Burn can play left back and have Livramento/Krafth/Murphy and Trippier that could play right. 

If Gordon was the answer to RW, don't you think Howe would've played Barnes on LW and Gordon RW last year?. 

20 minutes ago, vexred said:

If Gordon was the answer to RW, don't you think Howe would've played Barnes on LW and Gordon RW last year?. 

Possibly if Barnes was consistently fit, as it was Murphy was safer option on Right as always available. Gordon is better on the left as can go outside or cut in but an option for right

1 hour ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Someone mentioned yesterday that we haven't upgraded RW for 7 years - might have been @HaydnNUFC I think - so that shows how hard it is to get the right fit for that position. There are options out there, but probably cost a shitload of money.

We could probably get by with our current options, but equally it might be the difference between CL and Europa.

2 hours ago, Doctor Zaius said:

Elanga is the guy Howe will want, doesn’t have the quality in my opinion for a top 4 chasing team but likely to come within budget.

3 hours ago, vexred said:

He did when they were both fully fit.

4 hours ago, Ikon said:

Chelsea are a basket case club though, with a history of casting out players that have gone on to become exceptional without ever getting a kick there. They don’t have a strategy beyond "gotta sign them all". So purchasing players from there especially before they’ve cemented their position isn’t the worst play at all.

42 minutes ago, LFEE said:

He did when they were both fully fit.

I think it was because Almiron was injured and Murphy was playing right back, when players came back from injury Barnes was back on the bench for Murphy, who started nearly all of the games in the second half of the season.

13 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Chelsea are a basket case club though, with a history of casting out players that have gone on to become exceptional without ever getting a kick there. They don’t have a strategy beyond "gotta sign them all". So purchasing players from there especially before they’ve cemented their position isn’t the worst play at all.

I dont see Chelsea as one of them unless it was us going for the likes of Sterling or other slightly older ones. Definitely wouldn’t mind the likes of Madueke to name one. Players with their best years ahead of them, ones that haven’t really got an honest chance in a settled setup. I wouldn’t mind young and hungry players with desire and ambition. I don’t mind the 18-23 year old bracket from elite clubs. Unless they’ve been given a fair shot at it and still looked far away from going anywhere in their careers.