NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I'm still confident we'll sign someone but if we don't sign either a CB or RW then the window is a big failure. 

Yes, there's extenuating circumstances but not improving the 1st team when we've managed to keep our key players would be a massive misstep. 

9 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

Its not the fans talking about ambitions and Europe is it?

Of course they are man 😂 

And of course it's the clubs overall aim. Just clearly going to take longer than maybe they'd hoped. I think they deserve some leeway myself. 

We turn our noses up at every fucker linked it seems. 

It's crazy thinking when our finances aren't great. 

When we bought gordon a lot thought he was no better than maxi

But howe has transformed him into a beast. 

So anyone we bring in could be developed the same way. 

10 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Of course they are man 😂 

And of course it's the clubs overall aim. Just clearly going to take longer than maybe they'd hoped. I think they deserve some leeway myself. 

No need to call fans spoilt brats. Its a totally different club than under Ashley. The questions are fairly raised and almost everyone in here are trusting the people in charge.

Edited by nufc123

Surely we can get better value for money abroad then paying tje "english tax" spunking 65-70m on Guehi and having nothing left in the pot.

As we will eventually have Botman, Schar, Kelly, Burn, Lascelles as CB when fit would it not make sense to spend the money on a RW as Almiron will be worth next to nowt in a years time and Murphy isnt good enough. Loan a CB (with maybe an option to buy) and sort the CB next summer when Burn and Schar are out of contract (maybe give Schar a years extension)

4 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

No need to call fans spoilt brats. Its a totally different club than under Ashley. The questions are fairly raised and almost everyone in here are trusting the people in charge.

You don't think every club has a significant element of the fanbase that are spoilt/bedwetters? We are not better or worse than anyone else and it's part of football. No point pretending otherwise. 

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if we don't strengthen as I want us to be the best we can be. But I can understand why it may not happen and I won't disrespect the owners who have done so much for us by saying they've failed.

13 minutes ago, Hhtoon said:

Honestly, I'll be disappointed if we don't strengthen as I want us to be the best we can be. But I can understand why it may not happen and I won't disrespect the owners who have done so much for us by saying they've failed.

I think you can praise the owners, and at the same time calling things out for different reasons. Sorry didnt mean to start a debate here. Move on..

Edited by nufc123

3 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

I'm actually starting to think we might not do anything. I get the caution over getting it right but this will have been a disaster of a window if we don't deliver on at least one of those key positions.

It's absolutely a possibility like. What's worse - spending no money or spending it poorly? 

I'm sure the club could go around throwing bids in like out of date confetti but would that end up being counter productive in the long term?  

I think it's fair to question what is happening this summer, and come September, I'm sure in the international break there will be some comms either directly or in-directly from the club that outlines what the situation has been and plans moving forward.

Think this week will determine if club persists with signing Guehi, or ditches the CB option and puts the money and effort into a RW and gamble that we can get through to January when Botman is back and then make it to summer (if an opportunist chance doesn't come in January).

3 minutes ago, midds said:

It's absolutely a possibility like. What's worse - spending no money or spending it poorly? 

I'm sure the club could go around throwing bids in like out of date confetti but would that end up being counter productive in the long term?  

The others around us have spent though which means we've stood still. Can we afford to do that? 

1 minute ago, andycap said:

The others around us have spent though which means we've stood still. Can we afford to do that? 

I'm just suggesting that spending on the wrong players could be potentially worse than not strengthening enough. We can all see that we're short in a few areas so it comes down to a choice of going with what we've got and waiting or signing a poor player who we're then stuck with and can't shift. It's not cut and dried imo :thup:

I’m sure we will do something late if we can. Possibly loan with options if we aren’t sure.

keep our powder dry until the real targets are available. We are a proper club now, albeit limited in our spending power.

3 minutes ago, midds said:

I'm just suggesting that spending on the wrong players could be potentially worse than not strengthening enough. We can all see that we're short in a few areas so it comes down to a choice of going with what we've got and waiting or signing a poor player who we're then stuck with and can't shift. It's not cut and dried imo :thup:

I think this is exactly why it looks like we're going stronger for someone who we view as the right long term player in Guehi, rather than 2 players of lower quality for CB and RW that we'll need to replace again soon

18 minutes ago, midds said:

I get this line of thinking but I think we’d be hard-pressed to spend the money poorly. It’s not difficult to imagine an upgrade at centre half and at right wing for a combined £65-70m, especially if you purport to have hired one of the most exciting scouting minds in the game. 

If the club’s formal position is that they don’t think those players exist I’d have to take it at face value, but I’d have serious reservations about the new set-up and the ownership’s continued appetite to improve.