NUFC Transfer Rumours

4 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did we? His home record was good, but the goals and assists were spread across the squad. Isak, Trippier, Bruno, Murphy, even Longstaff all chipped in well. 

Its an admittedly simple metric, but looking purely at Assists last season:

Right wing: 18 (10 from Trippier, 7 from Murphy, 1 from Miggy)

Left Wing: 15 (10 from Gordon, 3 from Barnes, 2 from Burn)

Turning down that bid for Almiron from Charlotte looks mental.

Chance to get something for him and get him off the wage bill.

Hopefully he'll have a good year, otherwise it's not hard to imagine a scenario where we're just stuck with him next season too while we wait for his contract to run out in 2026.

1 minute ago, Shak said:

Hopefully he'll have a good year, otherwise it's not hard to imagine a scenario where we're just stuck with him next season too while we wait for his contract to run out in 2026.

I mean I understand why they didn’t Charlotte moved the goal posts and it doesn’t feel like much money. 

but on the other hand; it’s yet another player who is ageing, value decreasing who are holding on to. Meanwhile we are relentless told how much of an issue FFP is despite doing absolutely nothing to change it. 

It does all feel like a bit of a contradiction. 

1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Did we? His home record was good, but the goals and assists were spread across the squad. Isak, Trippier, Bruno, Murphy, even Longstaff all chipped in well. 

We did. He played too many games and he was probably the only two players that could create threats by dribbling himself (another one is Isak). He got the player of the season award due to this.

I know many here have doubt re his attitude for our first two games. To me he is now getting Ben Arfa treatment (double-team whenever he got the ball) and also he still looks tired. Imo he shouldn’t get any sticks. However if this continues we would be in great trouble very soon. We need one more winger to share his workload

11 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Jadon Sancho loan to buy. They want to get rid of him. 40m price point is actually not bad in this market. 

30m left over. Get Milan Skrinar for a good RCB albeit more short term. 

Another alternative, 50m Simikan, 15m Chiesa. Trafford loan to buy. 

Another alternative, give Barca 70m for Raphina/Torres plus Christensen double deal. 

Any one of those scenarios is good for us and puts us in a better place.

And none of them are realistic.

Just now, Shak said:

At the fee rumoured it would’ve been mental to accept it.

No idea why people want to flog our players like they’re getting rid of a job lot of kids toys on Facebook Marketplace. 

Maybe everyone and myself included just need to accept it’s going to take a good few windows due to PSR to sort out the mess of the Ashley era.

Could we do things differently and exploit the market better perhaps, but still happy to trust the process and think Mitchell is a decent appointment to oversee it.

19 minutes ago, christ said:

The obsession with the right wing doesn’t make a great deal of sense to me, even as a card carrying Miggy-hater.

It’s not a ‘problem position’. Our numbers from an attacking POV last year were great. Creating and scoring isn’t much of an issue.

RW for me isn’t just about adding more output, it’s also about the build up, better ball control and the respect it gets from oppositions. Our right side, by large doesn’t carry much threat so teams are more engaged to take risks against us, by having a RW that will get sides questioning things, it takes pressure off the defence just as much as having a top CB does. 

Let’s work on the assumption that all isn’t well in the camp.

Whats the bigger picture? Whats happening?

Are PIF less interested?

Has PCP leaving created a void? Forget the negotiating, their presence in match days.. on the pitch and in the tunnel embracing the players and staff.. it bridged that gap between the coaches/management/playing staff and the suits upstairs.. there was a sense of unity and all pulling in the same direction.

That being gone isn’t nothing.

Given all that, we really needed a statement from those remaining that the plans are still in action. If PSR really is preventing us from spending again, I’d rather they came out and said that.. “we need to hold off for 6-12 months” etc.

The lack of news on the stadium is also something lurking in the background. Again, something that could give a lacklustre window some shade.

18 minutes ago, kingxlnc said:

Jadon Sancho loan to buy. They want to get rid of him. 40m price point is actually not bad in this market. 

30m left over. Get Milan Skrinar for a good RCB albeit more short term. 

Another alternative, 50m Simikan, 15m Chiesa. Trafford loan to buy. 

Another alternative, give Barca 70m for Raphina/Torres plus Christensen double deal. 

Any one of those scenarios is good for us and puts us in a better place.

Footy Manager / FIFA written all over it, this.

We have a bloated squad with players we want to shift and can't. PSR is fucking us over and the club is finally being run by (seemingly) professionals at every level. We're trying to build a healthy, competitive squad in a sustainable fashion. Chucking money at an ageing Milan Skriniar and/or a well overpaid Jadon Sancho might satisfy those 'we need bodies' fans but it's so brutally short term and the opposite of the sustainable model we need to create...from scratch lets not forget.

On paper, Almiron/Murphy as our options on the right may look woeful but we didn't struggle to score goals last season. I don't doubt we'll improve that side of the pitch at some stage but it needs to be the right signing at the right price. It's pretty straightforward logic. The owners can absolutely afford to splash £80m and get the Guehi deal done, sure. But the club can't. The owners can afford to throw cash at a short term right winger who might improve us slightly but who has little to no re-sale value. Again, the club can't.

Sure, it's a disappointing window if we don't manage to sign the kind of players we would all have liked to have seen at the end of last season, but no more disappointing than aimlessly throwing our budget away on ageing players or players with a questionable attitude/injury record.

I may well feel disappointed if we don't strengthen beyond what, admittedly, little we've done so far, but I'm so far from being in the 'negligent', 'travesty' etc camp. The owners have turned us into an ambitious football club with an aim to get us where we, as fans, want to be. That isn't something that happens within a few years, especially with all the PSR/FFP bullshit.

Edited by ads

8 minutes ago, Shak said:

I'm sure the club don't consider him a "get rid of this guy at all costs" player.

Just now, Dr Jinx said:

Are PIF less interested?

Has PCP leaving created a void? Forget the negotiating, their presence in match days.. on the pitch and in the tunnel embracing the players and staff.. it bridged that gap between the coaches/management/playing staff and the suits upstairs.. there was a sense of unity and all pulling in the same direction.

That being gone isn’t nothing.

Given all that, we really needed a statement from those remaining that the plans are still in action. If PSR really is preventing us from spending again, I’d rather they came out and said that.. “we need to hold off for 6-12 months” etc.

The lack of news on the stadium is also something lurking in the background. Again, something that could give a lacklustre window some shade.

Oh yeah, let's have more speculation base on nowt, my fave :lol:

Let’s be honest, mentioning the likes of Sancho is pointless. Howe said in his press conference that he picks the players to target, then it’s the job of others to go and get them. It’s hardly a wonder there a tiny group of players we’d consider.

1 hour ago, Tiotes Witch Doctor said:

The summer has been an absolute shit show, signing nobody else wouldn't surprise me in the slightest personally, there will be plenty trying to convince themselves we're ok even if we don't, but a few injuries and we are absolutely fucked.

Like I said, feral [emoji38]

22 minutes ago, Zero said:

I do wonder how signing Guehi (I.E. replacing Krafth) would prevent us from losing that goal last weekend.

No pressing from the front is also not related to Krafth.

Not that I don’t want Guehi but I don’t think we should think in that way I.E. signed Guehi and our performance would be massively improved

I’m not advocating for Guehi at £65m, but we would be more comfortable in possession were he in the team.

Pope, Krafts, Longstaff, Murphy and to a lesser extent BDB are weak technically, and struggle to play a possession and control system; that’s close to half the team. We need every player to be strong on the ball, otherwise we struggle to beat a press and resort to long balls when under pressure. Big Jow lost the ball for the goal as he also struggles a bit in possession and didn’t have good options to release the ball to.

I expect performances to improve when better footballers are on the field.

2 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

RW for me isn’t just about adding more output, it’s also about the build up, better ball control and the respect it gets from oppositions. Our right side, by large doesn’t carry much threat so teams are more engaged to take risks against us, by having a RW that will get sides questioning things, it takes pressure off the defence just as much as having a top CB does. 

I fundamentally disagree with this fwiw.

1 minute ago, Zero said:

We did. He played too many games and he was probably the only two players that could create threats by dribbling himself (another one is Isak). He got the player of the season award due to this.

I know many here have doubt re his attitude for our first two games. To me he is now getting Ben Arfa treatment (double-team whenever he got the ball) and also he still looks tired. Imo he shouldn’t get any sticks. However if this continues we would be in great trouble very soon. We need one more winger to share his workload

He was player of the season because he was class, particularly at home, but I don't think we overly relied on him due to anything other than injuries. Trippier matched his assists from RB, Bruno and Murphy weren't far behind and in terms of goals, Isak was way ahead of him and everyone. We actually got more assists from the right last season (18 vs 12) in a way making up for the difference in goals (19 from the left, 8 from the right)

Watched the press conference and Howe said in answer to one question that he’s building a good relationship with Paul Mitchell, and that there’s a team of individuals working on transfers. Goes a bit against the grain of recent hand wringing that there’s an issue between them.

I would prefer Guehi / a new CB over a new RW, but I am actually gambling on Trippier able to back to his normal standard. 

The CB / RW debate imo is in fact which one you think would decline a lot this season that you want replacement asap, Schar or Trippier.

Almiron and Murphy are hopeless. No discussion needed

2 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Oh yeah, let's have more speculation base on nowt, my fave :lol:

Bit it’s not nowt.. they said the feasibility study would have been finished ages ago and they’d communicate the findings.

You’d have seen some inspecting on the civil engineering side if plans were any further ahead. It would have been all over social media.

It doesn’t look anywhere close to that.

4 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

Are PIF less interested?

I’d say it’s a case of redrawing priorities after the PSR mess. Trajectory may need tweaking and so comes with it different aims and objectives, which may sit well for some and not others.

Think selling squad players is proving a real challenge, and that’s having an impact.