NUFC Transfer Rumours

I know we love Eddie I do too but given the turbulence of the summer I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Guehi or nobody was his way of getting some reassurance about still having his say on transfers mind. Especially given he has an exit route in the form of England. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

We all know how this club thrives or dies on the overall momentum and feeling. The stories coming out now are setting us up for a real hard season imo.

We are going into the season with a massive negative cloud over it, wich is never helpfull.

Regarding the hope story:

1) it would totally fly in the face of the "collaborative approach" that's been spoke of.

2) it's been reported previously we list targets and move down the list of targets if plsyers become unavailable.

3) it doesn't say much about Mitchell, as Howe's boss, if he vsbt get him to budge.

It doesn't really add up.

Obviously we can only go off reports, but either;

• Howe has said (essentially) Guehi or nothing, and Mitchell has had to go back and forth with Palace while also working within our own financial constraints due to PSR
  • Howe is/was open to alternative options but Mitchell has pursued Guehi to the point that we now seem to be running out of time to find an alternative

Obviously if it's the former then Howe is heaping pressure on himself. There is/was always the possibility that the Guehi deal couldn't be completed and if he's made the decision that he'd rather sign nobody rather than an alternative option then he's either going to look like a genius or he might end up paying the price for it.

If it's the latter then that's a bad start for our new team of Directors and it would appear from the outside that they are hanging Eddie out to dry.

The problem is, we'll probably never really know what's gone on behind the scenes so all we've got is speculation and press briefings.

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1) it would totally fly in the face of the "collaborative approach" that's been spoke of.

2) it's been reported previously we list targets and move down the list of targets if plsyers become unavailable.

3) it doesn't say much about Mitchell, as Howe's boss, if he vsbt get him to budge.

The gymnastics here are astounding. I guess that would be the first time Eddie's ever said X, while Y was the case? What do you want Mitchell to do if Eddie wields the power? Tie him up and break his knees if he doesn't agree to Mitchell's targets?

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

1, they are going to brief that at this stage. 
2, if we are moving down the list I expect us to sign someone in accordance with that in mind and it’s not looking likely. 
3, Mitchell is in the same position as Ashworth 

, he knows Eddie is untouchable and has more input than he probably should but he can’t do much about it at this stage. 

4 minutes ago, Andy said:

I think what's most frustrating is that at least a decent amount of money IS clearly there, but by all accounts it's Guehi or nothing. That mentality is understandable if you're Man City and the squad just needs minor tweaks/poster signings, but taking our squad into account, it's hard to believe that there are no alternatives that would improve us massively. 

Guehi will end up going to a champions league club once his value comes down. 

Guehi has got Liverpool all over him as a VVD replacement. £40m next summer, maybe even a move for more in January so he can be bedded in.

Another player missed out to a direct rival we eventually want to challenge.

2 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

The gymnastics here are astounding. I guess that would be the first time Eddie's ever said X, while Y was the case? What do you want Mitchell to do if Eddie wields the power? Tie him up and break his knees if he doesn't agree to Mitchell's targets?

What astounding gymnastics? I'm just pointing out how the article doesn't tie up with previous reporting. I don't really have an opinion either way at this stage.

Edited by The Prophet

Just now, HaydnNUFC said:

Craig Hope, a journalist who loves driving agendas and sticking the knife in. Steve Bruce was 100% spot on about him. So am taking that with huge dollop of salt.

But if that article has a semblance of truth, good lord.

Hope repeatedly backed Eddie last season when things were shaky. Could he be making it up out of whole cloth? Sure. Does that seem the likeliest explanation? No.

9 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

We don’t even know if this is true, many on here have just made it into some forum fact by repeating it ad naseum. :lol: 

The action speaks for itself. We would know it 30 hours later. 

11 minutes ago, Ronaldo said:

I’m trying to hold on to some hope about this whole thing but a decent season won’t keep Bruno, Isak, Gordon here. I think we need to be a bit more realistic about what players of that calibre want.

Yup. Not saying otherwise. 

5 minutes ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Craig Hope, a journalist who loves driving agendas and sticking the knife in. Steve Bruce was 100% spot on about him. So am taking that with huge dollop of salt.

But if that article has a semblance of truth, good lord.

Someone has briefed him though, if it’s from the club it’s not good.

14 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I know we love Eddie I do too but given the turbulence of the summer I wouldn’t at all be surprised if Guehi or nobody was his way of getting some reassurance about still having his say on transfers mind. Especially given he has an exit route in the form of England. 

As well as all the rumours of him and Ashworth not seeing eye to eye. We had Nickson scouting Europe and getting some of our big named players over the line - yet all we're seeing is constant links to EPL players. What's changed?

2 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Guehi has got Liverpool all over him as a VVD replacement. £40m next summer, maybe even a move for more in January so he can be bedded in.

Then Palace have to be stupid for knocking back 65M for him now. He's not worth 25M for one season. Thumbing your nose at NUFC is not worth 25M either.

Personally, I would have spent big on the assumption that a star player would be sold next summer if there were PSR issues. Just like Villa sold Douglas Luiz. If we don't do well, and not spending increases the likelihood, Isak and Bruno will be off anyway.