NUFC Transfer Rumours

7 minutes ago, bobbydazzla said:

If we were actually in for him (which I don't think was ever confirmed), maybe he didn't want to sign for us

Just because I fancy Michelle Collins and DM her on Insta to see if she wants to go on a date doesn't mean we'll end up sat in The Gunner with a pint of John Smiths each and a packet of ribbed Durex in her purse

That's an incredibly specific scenario that leads me to believe you may have attempted this before...

2 minutes ago, gdm said:

I mean if it carries on then I get you but the reports that we’ll likely sign no one only dropped an hour or 2 ago. Let people be disappointed. Then when window shuts we just need to get on with it but it’s only natural people are going to be disappointed and angry to a degree. 

Yeah. It’s fine to be disappointed with what’s probably going to be a pretty barren window. There’s gray area between “heads should roll!” and “remember the Ashley days?!” Feeling a bit let down with the lack of permanent additions is a fairly reasonable reaction imo.

Just went back and watched the Eales interview that came out when we were in Germany. In hindsight, this section is pretty vague and points to limitations.

Q: What can fans expect from [the rest of the transfer window]?

A: Well, look, I think from our perspective we're excited about the season ahead. We think we've got the core of a really good squad going into that season, but we're always looking to strengthen. I think we'll always try to do that within our means. So I think we'll be looking - we've obviously got Paul Mitchell coming on as our sporting director ... so with him and Eddie, what they'll be looking at is are there areas we can improve and strengthen our squad within the headroom that we've got. And so, as you say, we've still got a couple months left in the window and we'll always be looking and striving to see what we can do. You know, how can we be innovative, how can we be thinking outside of the box to strengthen the squad.

8 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

It does just add a layer of negativity to the club, and at our club in particular it seems to snowball and effect what happens on the pitch. That’s my biggest concern at the moment.

But this is the point isn’t it, and this is part of the reason why myself and some others on here are frustrated with the overreactions… because at this club in particular the fans / local press have a habit of making mountains out of relative molehills. See Bobby for prime example. We know where that over emotional self destruction gets us.

As a club, team, management structure etc, we are in a far better position than we have been in for years, with an excellent manager, team that tries (and wins more often than not) and a club that wants to progress. Overreacting and inventing stories just feeds instability, when in reality we’re in pretty damn good shape.

And dipshits like Craig Hope deserve ZERO airtime. I lost any remaining respect I had for him in January when he wrote that Trippier had “flown home from NYC to seal a deal to Bayern”, when the actual truth (that I knew 100% factually from the horses mouth) was that he and his family were on a family holiday and already on their way home, and there was no push from Tripps to leave. He’s a shit stirring prick.

3 minutes ago, duo said:

This transfer window has been poor - can't believe we are saying we are aiming for CL football and then going into the season with a weaker squad. 

Did you rate Karius or what...

6 minutes ago, duo said:

This transfer window has been poor - can't believe we are saying we are aiming for CL football and then going into the season with a weaker squad. 

Some lack of squad depth, but I wish we were playing in the ECL now. We would've had a good chance in that tournament.

4 minutes ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

That word is doing a lot of heavy lifting when describing these tabloid level clowns.

I think about this a lot actually. The level of "journalism" over there is wildly inconsistent and more click bait-y than sports journalism is over here. Someone like Adam Schefter for instance doesn't deal in rumors, he just states facts that he gets before anyone else does. The columns and tweets across the pond are very much just rumors and opinions parading as facts and I think that skews a lot of people's views and we end up with a lot of what is being said on this forum today because of it.

Edited by cubaricho

If we go into the season without any more additions, this has been a shitshow of a transfer window.

We've had since January to plan what we wanted to do. 

Obviously a lot has changed at the club, but I thought the idea of our new structure was to ensure business continuity.