NUFC Transfer Rumours

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

What are your thoughts on the window?

The management has been doing a fucking shit job since January and we are finally at a point that most of us can see this, after failing such a crucial window that determines the future of most of our purple patches, and of course, Howe 

3 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

A terrible window my anyone’s metric. There’s no denying it. 

Two exciting young talents out. A freebie defender and a couple of goalies in. 

Time to open the tins. 

Osula will come good when Howes starts giving him minutes in 6 months time.

8 minutes ago, BennyBlanco said:

A terrible window my anyone’s metric. There’s no denying it. 

Two exciting young talents out. A freebie defender and a couple of goalies in. 

Time to open the tins. 

Hall permanently signed and Osula doesn't count?

Just now, gbandit said:

Deals - multiple

Blocked one outgoing? Trippier? But that doesn’t link with future plans. It must be a loan deal we’ve blocked for a young player?

Alex Murphy loan move blocked as we haven’t signed a defender.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Deals - multiple

Blocked one outgoing? Trippier? But that doesn’t link with future plans. It must be a loan deal we’ve blocked for a young player?

Why not just read the article [emoji38] It was Alex Murphy on loan.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Latest from Douglas if anyone can still be arsed at this stage 

Maybe Palace calling the Guehi deal dead has brought us round to our senses!

Come on guys we can't end the day without a bit of redemption. Make something happen!

https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/newcastle-still-in-market-for-20m-deadline-day-deal-to-end-frustrating-summer-3253083

Newcastle still in market for £20m deadline day deal to end ‘frustrating’ summer

Eddie Howe admits it's not been a 'brilliant transfer window' after failing to sign centre-back and right wing targets

Newcastle United are investigating late loan deals and a possible move for Burnley goalkeeper James Trafford as Eddie Howe says the club will look to be “active” right up until 11pm transfer deadline.

But a club record deal for Marc Guehi looks dead after Newcastle broke off talks with Crystal Palace over their £70m asking price, with Howe admitting it will be “difficult” to broker transfers with so little time left.

A £20m move for Trafford remains possible on deadline day despite Newcastle having five senior goalkeepers on their books, with insiders suggesting it is a case of lining up a long-term successor to Nick Pope at the right price. 

It makes sense viewed in that way but the optics for such a move are difficult given rising frustration at Newcastle at a second successive transfer window without signing a player who noticeably improves the first XI.

In a move that might be seen as an insurance policy against further defensive injuries, i understands the club turned down loan interest in centre-back Alex Murphy from Championship clubs earlier in the window. 

Oxford United and Portsmouth had enquired about the 20-year-old but any exit now seems unlikely given the paucity of centre-back options at the club.

Newcastle are also now confident of keeping hold of Kieran Trippier, wanted by Everton but a player Howe is desperate to keep, while interest in Miguel Almiron has not progressed. A mooted move to MLS side Charlotte FC collapsed earlier in the month.

The club’s inaction prompts questions for CEO Darren Eales and new director of football Paul Mitchell, with Newcastle seemingly spooked by Financial Fair Play (FFP) rules and deciding to prioritise longer term planning after their priority targets were judged too expensive.

Their move for Guehi became protracted and played out in public, adding to frustration among the fanbase.

Howe spoke for nearly an hour at his morning press call, admitting his own frustration at Newcastle’s business and concern that rivals were overtaking them. He also admitted that the players shared some of those feelings and had been left unsettled by a difficult summer.

But his overall message of a nuanced press conference was a rallying call for the support, city and even local media to come together to help Newcastle. That, you suspect, will largely depend on results.

What happened to Guehi alternatives? 

Newcastle’s pursuit of Guehi has been tortuous, with Palace co-owner Steve Parish’s pronunciations across various media outlets adding to the sense of the transfer playing out in public. A series of bids – the last one a club record £65m with £5m of achievable add-ons – have proved unsuccessful as Palace gamble on further interest in January.

Given it was the first big deal Mitchell was tasked to work on, it feels like a failure. Insiders know there will be criticism for that but think taking difficult decisions now will strengthen the club in the future. It’s a risk but their belief is in getting the right player, rather than a player for right now.

It is a tough sell. Newcastle’s scouting department has been hugely beefed up over the last 18 months, expanding their global reach and adding scouts in Europe and South America with good contacts. Were there seriously no other options available?

Howe denied Newcastle had gone “all in” on Guehi, stating there were “four or five” other options they looked at. Liverpool’s Joe Gomez is understood to be one, with Newcastle deciding his fee was too much, while Bayer Leverkusen’s Edmond Tapsoba was simply priced out of their reach.

When i pressed Howe on whether the deals had been abandoned because they had insufficient Profitability and Sustainability Rules (PSR) headroom or they were protecting their position for future transfer windows – he said it was a “combination of both”.

“It’s never about one player, we’ve tried for numerous players.

“But as I said, there’s not a bottomless pit of names and we’ll say that at the same time, but it wouldn’t be for any other club in our position.”

So how frustrated is Howe?

Frustration without fury is the message coming from Howe, publicly and privately.

On Thursday night those close to Howe suggested FFP rather than friction with those above was the reasons for Newcastle’s inactivity. On Friday he said the same in public and he was not in the mood for shifting or apportioning blame.

The dynamics have certainly shifted for Howe, though. He is now further away from deals than he was previously with Mitchell brought in as a recruitment expert so the manager can concentrate on managing the team.

Those who have witnessed his work this summer say he’s been diligent and is beginning to change systems and work on things that will help the club in the long term. But no one can pretend the summer has been a success with neither the centre-back or right wing priorities addressed.

“I’m not going to sit here and say it’s been a brilliant transfer window for us,” Howe said. “I think everyone will look at me and think I’m not sure he’s telling the truth there. I do try as far as I can to tell the truth.

“But it’s not been through the want of trying from anybody’s perspective and I think for me to sit here and say that would be totally wrong as well.

“Everyone has tried, really really hard to improve the squad to make sure we’ve got a chance of success.

“I don’t want to repeat myself to previous questions either, but you’ll understand it has to be the right player at the right price.

“We could easily be sitting here with four or five signings, but if they’re all the wrong players, that doesn’t do anyone anyone favours either.”

Inevitably the warm, conciliatory words of Friday will now be tested by what unfolds on the pitch. Newcastle have not been anywhere near their best so far this season but have four points and a good third round draw in the League Cup. If form tails off, it will test delicate relationships.

But Tottenham on Sunday is the first litmus test of top four ambitions. Brighton & Hove Albion, Aston Villa and West Ham United have all improved their squads while Newcastle’s progress has stalled. It is a worry, admits Howe.

“Of course, because if your competition are improving and getting stronger and you’re not that’s a huge concern,” he said.

“But again, Brighton have historically sold players, they’ve brought in a lot of revenue and income and we haven’t.

“So we’re in a difficult situation regarding PSR and that is the major problem for us. We can’t do what other clubs are doing currently and that makes the challenges harder for us and makes it harder for me but that’s the environment we’re in and we have to try and find a way to still be successful.”

PSR problems?

Newcastle fans don’t want to hear it but the narrative coming from the club remains that PSR is a bigger problem than even they first anticipated.

Football finance expert Kieran Maguire told i earlier this month that they have about £100m of PSR headroom based on calculations surrounding their improved revenue and player trading. 

And the club’s view is that whatever they spend today will have a knock-on effect for January and next summer, when a slew of players being out of contract will necessitate the overhaul they have been reluctant to oversee this summer.

It is a tough sell to fans who have seen the club bid £65m for Guehi and perhaps it is time for Newcastle, in the wake of this transfer window, to get a bit more specific on the numbers involved.

“There isn’t a bottomless pit of money,” Howe said. He was adamant that PSR has changed the way business is done forever for every Premier League club and “clubs, players and media” would have to start reflecting that.

“Everything that we do has a long-term consequence. So you’ve got to be very sure whatever you do is right for the long-term future and short-term future of the club.”

The dynamics above Howe

It is probably time for Mitchell to speak publicly and for Eales – criticised in some quarters for appearing on stage at the new STACK fanzone at St James’ Park earlier this month – to front up again. Because many of the big calls this month simply haven’t been made by Howe.

“I’m not involved in negotiations for players,” he said at one point. It’s a big change from the Amanda Staveley era, when the club’s co-owner saw him as a central, pivotal part of the process.

A more collegiate approach has developed this summer and Howe, in public at least, says he is satisfied and happy despite transfer frustration.

“The two things are totally separate – my happiness against what we’re able to do in the transfer market,” he said.

“They are totally different things. I’m enjoying my work. I am happy. It is a challenging period, no doubt about that. We haven’t had the window that we wanted to have, there is no denying that. But my job is to continue to give my best for the players we have here.”

A risk they’ve decided to take

Late loan deals are being scrutinised but, in truth, don’t feel especially likely. It leaves them really light in defence, where an opening day red card for Fabian Schar means they are already down to the bare bones. 

With Sven Botman and Jamaal Lascelles a long way from returning – and, given the severity of their injuries, surely requiring time to settle back in – they are taking a big risk in a department Newcastle knew they had to improve.

Beyond that there are questions around whether the club are dynamic enough in their dealings. Could they be more aggressive sellers? They have turned down approaches for Almiron and Trippier in the last two transfer windows Callum Wilson remains at the club in the final months of his contract.

At some point the club is going to need to take a big decision on player outgoings. Instead they have chosen – for the second window running – to tread a more cautious line. That prompts questions for Howe and those above him if things start to turn stale.

What does it mean for the future?

It means there’s more wiggle room in the future – potentially – but January is never really a buyer’s market. The scrutiny will be on Mitchell to try and line up deals that can be done quickly in that month in the way Liverpool have done in the past with Luis Diaz and Virgil van Dijk.

Behind the scenes they say it focuses minds on the club’s revenue challenge. It’s why getting stadium and infrastructure calls it so critical.

And the last word should probably go to Howe, who admits dreams of becoming “number one”, the words of chairman Yasir Al-Rumayyan in an Amazon documentary released last year, have been put in context by the travails of the last 12 months.

“I think when PIF [Saudi Arabia’s Public Investment Fund] took over, and I don’t want to speak for PIF, that is very difficult to do, I think the landscape was different then, compared to now,” he said.

“A lot has changed in terms of PSR. The biggest change [is] the inability to spend and our need to comply with rules to prevent a points deduction.

“Of course that impacts the ability to progress the club as quickly as maybe they wanted to. I don’t think the dream dies, necessarily, it takes a lot longer.

“We have got to build our revenue streams, that is the biggest thing. Bring more money into the football club, however we do that, sponsorship, loads of things. That is the big thing we need to focus on in the next ten years, whether I am lucky enough to see any of that, who knows.

“So the dream is not over, it is just going to take a lot, lot longer.”

Glad we’ve not ended up paying way over the odds for Guehi. We can’t set any kind of precedent that we’ll roll over.

Keeping our powder dry will help with PSR down the line. I’d still like to see a couple of out goings but hey ho.

We should just purchase some land in Saudi Arabia to turn it into a warm weather training complex.

but lo and behold we discover oil. We dig for oil and sell oil. £200m a season other income. The end.