NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Then we can consider ourselves lucky.

Jamaal Lascelles can cover at RCB. Having him fill in here and there isn't the end of the world. We all know he'll be replaced eventually, we just can't replace everyone all at once. 

13 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

I’d assume not sign Livramento and Barnes (keeping ASM) and spending the money on other positions. In fairness it’s what most probably would have expected heading in to the widow. I’m delighted with the window regardless.

I rate Barnes but wouldn’t have signed him, I would have still sold ASM and invested the money in someone down the right. Same situation with Livramento and instead went for a quality centre back that can play right back if needed.

I get that the club like to be opportunistic with their recruitment but not when it is at a detriment of the needs of the starting eleven.

3 minutes ago, Kimbo said:

I’d give it a 9 considering the restrictions imposed on us. There are still positions to fill but realistically it will probably take another 2 transfer windows. My only slight disappointment is the lack of Brighton style bargains.

Agree on the Brighton style signings.

3 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

I rate Barnes but wouldn’t have signed him, I would have still sold ASM and invested the money in someone down the right. Same situation with Livramento and instead went for a quality centre back that can play right back if needed.

I get that the club like to be opportunistic with their recruitment but not when it is at a detriment of the needs of the starting eleven.

When did this happen?

Reading between the lines we want to go big on a RCB, rather than buy a young understudy for Schar. As with a CM in January, we'd rather wait for a primary target at thr right price than compromise. It might be frustrating in the short term, but it's a slow build which should set us up for years in the medium to long term.

18 minutes ago, ponsaelius said:

If we'd gone big on a RCB and a RW we'd have struggled to fill the positions we have done and then have looked very weak in terms of RB backup and with no effective replacement for Bruno. 

The Hall signing being a loan-to-buy job shows that we're right at the limit of what we can reasonably spend this summer. Not to mention the issues with bringing in 6-7 players in a window from a squad cohesion point of view. We're in a long term process that we all know will take a few summers to get there. We are in a process of signing the right players for each position, even if not in the 'ideal' order. We will continue to have gaps in the squad for a while, but they're getting less and less each year.

I think if you're taking into account this context you can't reasonably criticise our business. Right players, right age, long term planning without short term fixes, covering as many positions as possible but without forgoing quality, all in well before the close of the window. They are working as efficiently as could be reasonably expected. And I'd retain that position even if some of the signings don't hit the ground running or if Schar's leg falls off.

Not necessarily. It may be that its done that way to keep money back should another deal become available now or in January. Also Chelsea seem fine with this structure so it must benefit them as well 

Arguing about how you rate the window seems pretty absurd given the 10-point rating system is flawed. One person's 7/10 is another person's 9/10, it really doesn't matter! 

People can have different ways of making their judgement to reach a rating, it's standard for most I think to class 7/10 as average, which obviously for an average between 1-10 doesn't actually make sense. Personally, I think rating it 10/10 is illogical as that would imply it couldn't have gone any better whereas I feel it's gone roughly as I would've expected given our current situation. If you want to judge it based on the Ashley years then sure it's fucking amazing obviously, 11/10 etc, but maybe others are just judging it based on what expectations were when the season ended, and on that basis, I don't think 7/10 is that unreasonable or demanding or self-entitled. I would probably rate it 8/10, with 7/10 being average, It's been a good window, we've done our business pretty efficiently and won't be panic buying on the last day, plus I like all of the signings we've made. I don't think someone else is a twat though if they aren't convinced by Barnes, or they are worried about Livramento's injury, or they feel we should've strengthened other positions. 

Lascelles isn't great but I personally think he's a better PL player than Manquillo. Similarly Trippier is older than Schar if you want to look at long term squad planning.

Equally I didn't think any of last seasons players are suitable as the deepest midfielder apart from Bruno which put a huge strain on him over the campaign. Tonali can definitely play there and adds quality of a similar level.

While everybody was staring at RW and LB as a first choice weakness, RB and DCM were also weakspots in squad terms that will be seriously stress tested over a 50+ game season. 

17 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

So you would have sold ASM to buy a RW, would we then not have been left more short on the left than we currently are on the right hand side ?

I promise I’ll stop posting this after this, but I found the automatic assumption that we would replace the RW very annoying. 

Similar questions might have applied to Wilson’s position in the past, but like Miggy he just came off an absolutely brilliant season.  

38 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

How long did it take Man City to get where they are now?

I think we're about 2 years ahead of their progress at present. Think it took them about 4 years to become genuine title challengers as they gradually improved their infrastructure and commercial side....9th first year, 5th second year, then challenging from 3rd year on. However they didn't have the same restrictions that seem to apply to us, so medium term it will probably take us a bit longer. 

26 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

Jamaal Lascelles can cover at RCB. Having him fill in here and there isn't the end of the world. We all know he'll be replaced eventually, we just can't replace everyone all at once. 

Also Jamaal has been Eddie coached and has much more quality around him, I too believe he’d do a job as and when required to do so, even if it involves yellow cards from the touch line! 

I think we’ll go elite RCB and RW next summer. I hold out hope (greedy) that the loan to buy may allow us 1 more in if the “right fit” became available. Chiesa I’m looking at you [emoji38]

55 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

How long did it take Man City to get where they are now?

The Abu Dhabi United Group (ha!) bought them at the beginning of the 2008-09 season. Their most recent trophy had been the Championship in 2001-02. 

I think their first trophy was the FA Cup two years later (2010-11). Having previous won it 42 years earlier (1968-69). 

They first won the Premier League three years after takeover (2011-12). 

They won the League Cup 5 years after takeover (2013-14). Having previous won it (bar stewards) 38 years earlier (1975-76).

14 years to win the Champions League last year. 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

On Brighton style signings - no doubting some of their purchases have been unbelievable but alot have also been absolute dross. We are a top 4 club atm and cant afford to gamble on unknowns in the hope they hit. We need to fill the squad with proven top class players.

I think everybody got used to a 'starting XI' last year. I think that guides us in wanting first choice upgrades rather than improvements to the overall squad. However with the games we will be playing this year there won't be anywhere near as consistent a first XI. That will have been behind much of the recruitment decisions too.

Edited by ponsaelius