NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

1 hour ago, Dr Jinx said:

Solid window. 8/10 for me. Upgrades pretty much all round however I don’t think we’ve signed a transformational player but I’m also aware that players like Willock are a lot better than we usually remember.

We don’t know what our most effective first 11 is yet and probably won’t until next month at some stage.

I think we signed 4 transformational players, might just take a bit of time,  just my opinion

1 hour ago, Bimpy474 said:

Dunno why but i don't think we're finished, just have feeling we might bring in one more.

Once Bruno jumps ship we will have to :icon_salut:

But I do actually agree with you. Can see something happening in the last couple of days, but only if Fraser and Co can find an exit.

Edited by Mazzy

It’s going to be interesting with us signing players of age that everyone is saying that’s that position sorted for the next ten year. Will the same people cope with one or no signings per window in the very near future :lol:

8 minutes ago, LFEE said:

It’s going to be interesting with us signing players of age that everyone is saying that’s that position sorted for the next ten year. Will the same people cope with one or no signings per window in the very near future :lol:

Once we've got good players sorted at every position is when we can afford to start splurging nine-digit transfer fees on the Mbappes and Haalands of the world imo.

...My God, what am I even saying :lol: I can't believe I just typed those words out completely unironically.

Edited by oldtype

1 hour ago, DahnSahf said:

Sorry to go wildly off topic, but I've finally given in to my irritation - why is that emoji saluting with its left hand?

Clearly because the emoji in question only has one arm. :icon_salut:

1 hour ago, oldtype said:

Once we've got good players sorted at every position is when we can afford to start splurging nine-digit transfer fees on the Mbappes and Haalands of the world imo.

...My God, what am I even saying :lol: I can't believe I just typed those words out completely unironically.

Haha! 

I mean the reality is you’re not in constant upgrading of the Ashley era players and you’re say moving on X player for 35m who wants first team football and bringing in replacement or upgrade for 50m+ - or it’s ok, we can get *Kvara* and we now have an elite *position* 

Edited by Kanji

2 hours ago, oldtype said:

We still need to continue the youth backfill but once that starts coming through a couple of players every year or so, then we are talking. They have done an incredible job being responsible and smart in changing out squad. Long may it continue. 

6 hours ago, DahnSahf said:

Sorry to go wildly off topic, but I've finally given in to my irritation - why is that emoji saluting with its left hand?

A. Because the site was developed by a bunch of anti-establishment, non-conventional, wild men? 

B.The original coding was done in the mirror? 

C. It is a clever, albeit niche, double show of respect representing a US Navy Boatswain’s Mate piping you aboard with 🫱 whilst saluting with 🫲?

Answers on a postie :icon_salut: 🫡 

Edited by Coffee_Johnny

2023 Summer (Tonali, Barnes, Livramento, Hall, Minteh)

2022 Summer (Isak, Botman, Pope, Targett)

2022 Winter (Trippier, Wood, Guimaraes, Targett (loan), Burn)

2023 Winter (Gordon, Ashby, Kuol)

I don’t know how I’d assign a number to this window. I’d thought maybe I’d compare it to previous windows — even rank those windows, but I’m finding that equally impossible.

That first window for me has to be a 10; it addressed short term needs and kept us in the league. But then last summer gave us three long term starters. Maybe that’s what we have in the players bought this year. I’m really excited. I have no idea how good Tonali, Livramento, and Hall are or could be. (Though I do remember being impressed with both Livramento and Hall).

9.5 as well. I mean, what we’ve done with the squad given FFP and the crazy deals that have happened this summer we’ve worked miracles. However, if you went into the summer thinking which areas would we strengthen, you’d probably say RW and CDM. Arguably we haven’t improved our options for these positions at all, which depends on whether you see Tonali in that role, and of course Howe’s tactical plan for midfield. 

6 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

I don't think we've ever been in the market for a CDM. Doesn't seem to be Howe's style.

Yep, that’s what I was meaning around the arguable bit. My own thoughts were that it was a priority before the window, but then I’m not an elite football manager, and I think you’re right about Howe’s views. I think the bit about improving RW options is a point most can agree on, however. 

2 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

It's a fair point though. Most top sides operate with a more traditional CDM. City have Rodri, Arsenal have Rice, Liverpool now have Endo. Man United have Casemiro, etc.

That’s true but a lot of these teams are also playing with 8’s who’s attributes are more that of a 10 then a traditional box to box player. 

Just now, r0cafella said:

That’s true but a lot of these teams are also playing with 8’s who’s attributes are more that of a 10 then a traditional box to box player. 

Aye. It seems Howe wants three all rounders in there. Can already see what we're trying to do with them interchanging and one sitting deep while the other bomb on. The variations in their style means they all offer something slightly different in the final third too.

Doesn’t it feel really weird being a week away from the end of the window, knowing that the club’s business is basically done and we’re all happy with what has been done?

I quite like this - I forgot how long it’s been since I’ve been able to think that.  The last time I could, I was a young man - now I’m middle aged.  Christ. 

We could have brought Thuram in or probably a list of players in his position, but Eddie obviously has a plan in how he wants us to play.

To be honest I think Botman is that good with his passing and defence he kinda makes up for that DM role. Even Schar shows this at times. You can see though with having players like Tonali, Bruno and Joelinton there’s a lot of battling in there on top of that to get a he ball and create. 

Our number 8s are mainly Anderson and Willock. Gordon can of course fill this role too, but feel the first two are more suited. 

isak is a perfect 10…….I just wish we could field 12/13 players on the pitch [emoji38]