NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

On 27/10/2023 at 10:43, Ronaldo said:

He’s been done at top level for half a decade. I understand him being decent for morale or whatever behind the scenes but I’m uncomfortable with him having the place in the squad he does and have been for a while. Surely personalities worth listening to don’t spend year after year warming benches into retirement instead of playing football? 

Absolutely i completely agree and it will hamper our progression for me. The likes of Dummet and Ritchie hanging around takes up 2 squad places and they are being paid for just being around in training. That could be better utilised for a squad player whos actually going  to and good enough contribute on the pitch for me

Going forward to compete at the top and in multiple competitions per season we are going to have to replace around 12 of our squad. Our first 15 is pretty decent but the drop off after that is terrible

Also it highlights to me that the likes of dummet and Ritchie have no intention or inclination of playing football they just want to hang out with the guys who do and get paid for it. The likes of Shola used to get lambasted for doing exactly the same yet these guys get plaudits...its baffling

Just now, BullyDogs said:

Also it highlights to me that the likes of dummet and Ritchie have no intention or inclination of playing football they just want to hang out with the guys who do and get paid for it.

To be fair, Ritchie and Dummet get to play football every day and get paid very very well to do so. And we definitely don’t know what is going on in their minds these days and their reasoning. Family to support? Working directly with the best coach they’ve ever had? Plans for the future in that capacity? There are a hundred other reasons why they would stick around and play football every day and collect a wage each week. And that’s before we even get to the part of the equation where Howe seems want to keep them around too.

They’ll be out of the squad in due time, when Howe sees fit to make that call. As it stands I don’t think they’re taking up particularly valuable squad spots (ie: we wouldn’t have made different or more transfers if they weren’t around). We’ll eventually get there though.

4 minutes ago, BullyDogs said:

Absolutely i completely agree and it will hamper our progression for me. The likes of Dummet and Ritchie hanging around takes up 2 squad places and they are being paid for just being around in training. That could be better utilised for a squad player whos actually going  to and good enough contribute on the pitch for me

Going forward to compete at the top and in multiple competitions per season we are going to have to replace around 12 of our squad. Our first 15 is pretty decent but the drop off after that is terrible

Also it highlights to me that the likes of dummet and Ritchie have no intention or inclination of playing football they just want to hang out with the guys who do and get paid for it. The likes of Shola used to get lambasted for doing exactly the same yet these guys get plaudits...its baffling

Is it not just that for the time being Dummett is handy to have in the squad for home-grown purposes and by all accounts Ritchie is more or less a mentor and coach at this point? We'd get peanuts for shifting them and it's not like they're keeping anyone out the squad at present.

Pope is so far down our priority list. Would I like a keeper who is better with his feet, absolutely. But not at the expense of being a great shot stopper or commanding in his area. I know his command of his area has been poorer for a while but he’s still largely very good there too. Let’s sort out right wing, striker, DM (if that’s how Eddie wants us to set up) and RCB as back up before we look elsewhere. We are also sorely lacking creativity and I think an attacking midfielder who can play the 10 role whilst also having flexibility to cover elsewhere across midfield is a priority 

The club has always said if the right player becomes available at the right time, they'll do a deal. So even if GK doesn't seem high on the priority list, it wouldn't be surprising if we signed one.

The composition of the back four will probably need to change before we replace Pope though.

Ramsdale is barely an upgrade on Pope, if at all, IMO.  As an actual goalkeeper, I mean.  Not the distribution, which he is clearly superior at. 

I think he is erratic as fuck and seems to be miles out of position on long shots and one on ones a lot of the time.  Looks like he is taking an age to get set.  A lot of money to pay for an auxiliary ball playing defender who doesn't even improve our ability to stop the ball going in the net.  Didn't they pay £30m for him 2-3 seasons ago?  They'd be wanting more than that for him now.  

He seems like an absolute basket case and all.  But then you'd have to be mental to play in goal, I suppose :lol: 

20 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Ramsdale is barely an upgrade on Pope, if at all, IMO.  As an actual goalkeeper, I mean.  Not the distribution, which he is clearly superior at. 

I think he is erratic as fuck and seems to be miles out of position on long shots and one on ones a lot of the time.  Looks like he is taking an age to get set.  A lot of money to pay for an auxiliary ball playing defender who doesn't even improve our ability to stop the ball going in the net.  Didn't they pay £30m for him 2-3 seasons ago?  They'd be wanting more than that for him now.  

He seems like an absolute basket case and all.  But then you'd have to be mental to play in goal, I suppose :lol: 

My spider senses are still saying he may well come this way. I do actually rate him as well, so maybe a bit if wishful thinking. Not that I think he would inevitably start in front of Pope.