NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

I think we need a midfielder who does his defensive work actually facing the opposition. Too often all but the back 4 do their best defensive work facing their own goal, running back, surprising, disrupting or nicking the ball as the opponents run towards our goal. Just to have someone who could actually be facing the play from midfield when we lose the ball and get caught in transition would help immensely.

Their skill set should in no way be limited to tackling or intercepting and then laying the ball off but having the situational and positional awareness to drop back 10 yards facing play when we could look vulnerable would be massive.

If they can play make from a deep position too then we’ve got a winner.

Have Everton fans not turned on him due to the way he missed that penalty in the shootout against Fulham, or was that just a social media thing?

1 minute ago, buzza said:

This is why phillips would be the better option, he has that passing and dribbling (more body use/sheltering ball) ability to get out of tricky situations...

Not sure what ability Phillips got these days, but if we can get a loan deal without paying Chelsea money we should do it aye.

Just now, nufc123 said:

Not sure what ability Phillips got these days, but if we can get a loan deal without paying Chelsea money we should do it aye.

That particular scenario would be nailed on tbh….

In terms of physical attributes, he’s amazing. I was a fan of Gordon before we signed him, at least of his ability, not necessarily how he came across. Onana though, he honestly looks like Shola sometimes with the ball at his feet. If he could develop his technical ability further then he’d be a complete midfielder but it’s the hardest area for someone to make significant improvements. Has anyone seen him play and receive the ball very well under pressure, shield it and spray passes around? 

I’ve seen him do a lot of the dirty work and roam from box to box but as he gets closer to the opposition box his weaknesses become clearer. For the money it just doesn’t make any sense to me when we need a RW right now 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

For the money it just doesn’t make any sense to me when we need a RW right now 

Agree on the money bit, but right now we need a midfielder over anything.

I most certainly hope that we are looking for more technical players that are great on the ball and not like the many ones we have been linked with lately. Do NOT want Onana!

Edited by Ikon

I feel like I’m mostly wrong about our transfer targets these days but Onana has looked shite every time I’ve seen him play. He’ll cost a fortune too. 

10 minutes ago, St1pe said:

I feel like I’m mostly wrong about our transfer targets these days but Onana has looked shite every time I’ve seen him play. He’ll cost a fortune too. 

Yeah, doesn't seem like a smart/tactical player. All of our players are solid tactically

TBH, we have a lot of deadwood that’s out of contract this summer that’s going to save us and if we can move on Lewis, Hayden and Frazer the saving will be even bigger, almost £315k a week or £16.3m per year on all that deadwood 

Out of Contract 
Richie £45k

Manquillo £35k

Kraft £55k

Hendrick £40k

Dummett £35k

Deadwood  

Lewis £38k

Frazer £41k 

Hayden £22k

Almost £315k a week or £16.3m per year on all that deadwood 

5 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

TBH, we have a lot of deadwood that’s out of contract this summer that’s going to save us and if we can move on Lewis, Hayden and Frazer the saving will be even bigger, almost £315k a week or £16.3m per year on all that deadwood 

Out of Contract 
Richie £45k

Manquillo £35k

Kraft £55k

Hendrick £40k

Dummett £35k

Deadwood  

Lewis £38k

Frazer £41k 

Hayden £22k

That’s scary isn’t it.

IMG_4886.gif

11 minutes ago, nufcnick said:

Out of Contract 
Richie £45k

Manquillo £35k

Kraft £55k

Hendrick £40k

Dummett £35k

Deadwood  

Lewis £38k

Frazer £41k 

Hayden £22k

Where are those numbers from? Seem way off.

Lewis is over 50, frazer over 75 and Hayden double that at 50. Sure hendrick is mid 50s, you can probably add another 10 to Ritchie, dummett and manq.

Good news though, most will be gone in the summer. Hayden will be the hardest to shift.

6 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Where are those numbers from? Seem way off.

Lewis is over 50, frazer over 75 and Hayden double that at 50. Sure hendrick is mid 50s, you can probably add another 10 to Ritchie, dummett and manq.

Good news though, most will be gone in the summer. Hayden will be the hardest to shift.

Here, I’m more inclined to believe the lower figures, especially considering who our previous owner was 

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/newcastle-united-fc/harvey-barnes-24257/

3 minutes ago, Rich said:

Aye, any player that's been out of the plans has probably already been written off, unfortunately.

But they still have to pay the wages in that accounting period, so even with the out of contracts that saves us almost £11m per year