NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

45 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I understand why he doesn't fit for Pep, but isn't the best version of our team creating chaos and thriving on transitions? 

We've done well out of that model but the few times we've been comprehensively outplayed was at Man City and against Brighton, and against Arsenal last season where they just passed it all around our press. I think you have to look at how we get to a level where Man City are at because they've won everything using those principles.

1 hour ago, TRon said:

We've done well out of that model but the few times we've been comprehensively outplayed was at Man City and against Brighton, and against Arsenal last season where they just passed it all around our press. I think you have to look at how we get to a level where Man City are at because they've won everything using those principles.

Klopp beat Man City without trying to emulate and outdo Pep at his game.

10 minutes ago, LFEE said:

This is disappointing if true:

It wasn’t that they couldn’t afford £6m for five months of Phillips, it was that they didn’t think the impact on their PSR bottom line was worth it.

Just moving up two places in the table covers half of the fee + wages.

4 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

This was my thinking too. I do think Phillips with the Joelinton injury is the difference between 9th/10th and 6th/7th.

3 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What does it say? I'm blocked.

Other clubs had sense we were half hearted, fine line between dressing room harmony and taking next step.

Howe reassured Almiron he had a role which seems odd if we were trying to get rid.

Fuels my suspicions that transfer committee aren’t all rowing in same direction.

6 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

What does it say? I'm blocked.

Spoiler

EXPLAINED

The Magpies are not expecting any incomings or outgoings at St James' Park with less than 48 hours of the transfer window remaining 

Miguel Almiron won’t be sold during the January transfer window (Photos: Getty)

By Mark Douglas

Northern Football Correspondent

January 30, 2024 5:29 pm

In the end, it looks like caution has won out.

As the chances of Miguel Almiron moving to Saudi Arabia for £30m evaporated at the start of this week, so too did Newcastle United’s hopes of brokering deals for any one of the 10 or so midfield targets they identified during January.

There were good players on that list – one or two “game-changers” according to sources who spoke to i – but never really the conviction that Newcastle would be in the market for any of them. 

Even as far back as 1 January the noises were that it would be a quiet window, with sources telling iafter the Liverpool defeat a deal for Kalvin Phillipswas looking like a distant prospect. 

The Almiron saga sums up Newcastle’s month. There was interest from Saudi Pro League side Al Shabab but the problem was that Almiron, settled in the north-East with his young family, wasn’t ever sold on the transfer and didn’t want the upheaval of a mid-season move. With Eddie Howe reassuring him that he remained central to his plans for the rest of the season, the die was cast long before Monday night’s Saudi transfer deadline expired without a deal being agreed.

Read More

FOOTBALLBIG READ

Inside Newcastle’s plan to ‘turbocharge’ revenue and create a transfer war chest

Read More

There is always time for a late transfer to turn things on their head – this is the club that went from Andy Carroll being “unsellable” to a £35m move to Liverpool being agreed in 24 hours in 2011 – and a sale would give them the chance to invest and re-energise their squad. But no-one at Newcastle seems to think that is the direction of travel with less than 48 hours of the transfer window remaining.

There was a way for Newcastle to trade this month but it would have involved a lot of risk. Had they cashed in on Callum Wilson or Kieran Trippier – who had a credible but skinny bid from Bayern Munich to consider – or even listened to offers for Joelinton or Joe Willock there were upgrades in other areas of the pitch available to Newcastle.

But Howe baulked at the prospect of losing some of those players and had enough support from the board for that stance. It’s questionable whether this curiously flat January market was the time to extract value anyway, but one club who had contact with Newcastle this month described them as not fully convincing that they were committed buyers or sellers.

Their approach to Phillips, a midfielder Howe desperately wanted to add, was typical. The player was open to a move but Manchester City’s loan demands were considered too steep and Newcastle – in common with most of the Premier League – had one eye on their Profit and Sustainability Rules (PSR) limit.

It wasn’t that they couldn’t afford £6m for five months of Phillips, it was that they didn’t think the impact on their PSR bottom line was worth it. 

“We had to step away from that one for financial reasons,” Howe admitted on Friday.

It is understood that Newcastle’s hierarchy also thought the imminent return of Elliot Anderson and Willock – plus their long-term faith in Lewis Miley, who signed a new “long-term” deal on Monday – made a deal less than attractive.

Read More

FOOTBALLEXPLAINED

Why Newcastle rejected Bayern's bid for Kieran Trippier - and how he responded

Read More

Eventually, they will need to be bolder or stagnate. Hard decisions have been side-stepped this month but they cannot be put off forever and much of Newcastle’s planning now has to focus on how they confront the challenges of trying to grow in the PSR era while also keeping the dressing room happy. 

For Howe, keeping ambitious paymasters happy will become an increasing factor next season. He is acutely aware the understanding he has encountered this year doesn’t last forever.

It is a big summer with sizeable recruitment calls coming down the tracks for Newcastle. To name a few: Bruno Guimaraes’ future, Joelinton’s new contract, how to upgrade on Almiron and freshening up the forward line. Throw in the lingering uncertainty around Dan Ashworth, which will continue until Manchester United make a director of football call, and it feels like a big few months ahead on Tyneside if Newcastle are to challenge for Champions League qualification again next season.

The future will surely entail some contentious calls for Howe and some discomfort for Newcastle fans, but then January’s caution is simply not a viable option in the future.

Howe will always say he wants to keep players. He said it about ASM, I'm pretty sure he said it about Wood too.  Apart from Fraser who he fell out with he's always going to back the players and squad.

He's not going to be making the final decision if a big offer for Almiron came in though

a 6m loan fee with no obligation, or option to buy does seem fucking absurd throw of money for no reason at a club with bags of cash. As much as I love a deal, like. 

If Miggy, with his young family, doesn't want to move to Saudi Arabia, and the club aren't going to force him to do so - no fan of our football club should be holding it against him whatsoever. 

Edited by Kanji

42 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

Yes but football doesn't work in such simple terms. Eddie wants a group that's bonded together and would probably have preferred sorting something longer term, like a loan with option.

Man City wanted quite alot just for the loan.

I like him as a player but I'm pleased we had our heads switched on.

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Howe will always say he wants to keep players. He said it about ASM, I'm pretty sure he said it about Wood too.  Apart from Fraser who he fell out with he's always going to back the players and squad.

He's not going to be making the final decision if a big offer for Almiron came in though

The below suggests to me Eddie wasn’t keen on wheeling and dealing, and not just in public.

But Howe baulked at the prospect of losing some of those players and had enough support from the board for that stance. It’s questionable whether this curiously flat January market was the time to extract value anyway, but one club who had contact with Newcastle this month described them as not fully convincing that they were committed buyers or sellers.

Edited by Whitley mag

5 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

Other clubs had sense we were half hearted, fine line between dressing room harmony and taking next step.

Howe reassured Almiron he had a role which seems odd if we were trying to get rid.

Fuels my suspicions that transfer committee aren’t all rowing in same direction.

[emoji38] Why doesn't it suprise me that you have some negative spin/conspiracy.

Honestly it's so tiresome. 

Just now, STM said:

[emoji38] Why doesn't it suprise me that you have some negative spin/conspiracy.

Honestly it's so tiresome. 

It’s literally backed up in the article, just like the one around the transfer committee changing which I quoted you and you chose to ignore the other week.

It does seem astonishing that we don't seem willing sellers.... when we don't want to sell.

And that we don't seem convincing buyers, when we have fuck all money to spend.

[emoji38]

Fuck sake it's not rocket science. We are skint, our options were limited, we decided to stick rather than twist... I back them.

1 minute ago, Whitley mag said:

It’s literally backed up in the article, just like the one around the transfer committee changing which I quoted you and you chose to ignore the other week.

You believe everything you read.... except when it's positive.

Of course I ignored you, you talk a load of shite.

3 minutes ago, STM said:

You believe everything you read.... except when it's positive.

Of course I ignored you, you talk a load of shite.

Very childish it’s a different opinion you just don’t like it.