NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Ikon said:

No it’s not. What I’m describing is an attacking midfielder that is creative but also one that is reasonably athletic. One that can run with and without the ball. One that can also go in to space between the opposition lines when we are in possession. One with great technical ability. 

And you say there are many reasonable options out there that tick these boxes? Who do you have in mind? 

3 minutes ago, Ikon said:

No it’s not. What I’m describing is an attacking midfielder that is creative but also one that is reasonably athletic. One that can run with and without the ball. One that can also go in to space between the opposition lines when we are in possession. One with great technical ability. 

I'd call that player Paqueta, Julian Brandt, Gibbs-White, Olmo, Mount (Chelsea days), Cherki?

9 minutes ago, Nine said:

And you say there are many reasonable options out there that tick these boxes? Who do you have in mind? 

First of all I wouldn’t even play 4-3-3 but go more towards a 4-2-3-1 to get the best out of Isak. An attacking midfielder between the lines would also pull defenders in and create more space for the likes of Gordon. IF we were to sign an attacking one then I would go for someone young like Désiré Doue. He’s more of a 10 but he is athletic and can play in a 3 as well as wide. But I wouldn’t be buying him to play as a natural 8 anyway. 

Eze is another one as mentioned above. Injury prone though. As well as a couple that Kanye West mentioned. There are many if I was to start thinking properly who would work the best depending on system. 

Edited by Ikon

11 minutes ago, sempuki said:

That’s quite the enthusiastic piece mind.
kevin Zenon sound like the name of a musician who strode  the transition between glam rock and punk in 1970’s New York like a fucking Titan on amphetamines. Get him signed. 

Ok i'll say it. Cole Palmer and Mo Kudus were available in the summer for £40m odd. If we wanted them we had a good chance of landing them.

I'd like us to try and find the next Pedro Neto or Raphinha or Kudus or Palmer. Under-the-radar type signings.

The Pedro Neto one to Wolves kind of smells fishy when you look at it now though but whatever.

20 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Ok i'll say it. Cole Palmer and Mo Kudus were available in the summer for £40m odd. If we wanted them we had a good chance of landing them.

I'd like us to try and find the next Pedro Neto or Raphinha or Kudus or Palmer. Under-the-radar type signings.

The Pedro Neto one to Wolves kind of smells fishy when you look at it now though but whatever.

Same, the issue is that every established PL club is trying to do the exact same thing. It doesn't appear to be an easy thing to do by any means.

It is great when one or two of them types of signings come off though. Something far more satisfying about seeing your 4m signing tearing it up over your 40m signing doing exactly what you expected.

50 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

At the expense of Barnes...

Given Barnes' impact when he's been on the pitch so far, I'd wager that we wouldn't have thought twice about Palmer and Kudus had he not got that blasted injury. 

I would sell two CM to get two in. One more defensive minded with good technical ability as well as one more attacking one with some creativity as well as ball carrying ability. 

45 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

Anyone take Abraham to replace Wilson ?

No, they paid £30m or so for him so would want profit on that. He's a big time confidence player and his injury record hasn't been great lately. There's better out there.

Abraham is a decent player for sure. But the injury does worry me, we don't need another striker with an ongoing issue. It's why I'd much prefer Solanke, even if he's more expensive, you'd be confident he'd play 30+ games a season. But definitely not for £60M. 

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

At the expense of Barnes...

Given Barnes' impact when he's been on the pitch so far, I'd wager that we wouldn't have thought twice about Palmer and Kudus had he not got that blasted injury. 

Definitely at the expense of Barnes. RW was a more pressing position. Palmer is also more versatile positionally and can play uptop as a false 9 and as a 10. Barnes is a LW only.

Left - Gordon, Joelinton, Willock

Right - Palmer, Almiron, Murphy

Upfront - Isak, Wilson, Gordon & Palmer

With everyone fit our best team either has Barnes on the bench or Gordon out of position to accommodate him. Signing a RW would have given the squad more balance.

This is not hindsight. This was the prevailing thought at the time for many. Apart from those who don't know ball and over-rated Almiron.

If Barnes doesn't get the injury, Gordon doesn't have the same output on the RW or one of them sits on the bench. It's weird squad building.

I don't know man. Maybe i'm insane. To me £50m on a backup striker is crazy.

20 minutes ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

Give them Wilson for £12m and we'll take Solanke for £55m

Seems a fair trade to me

2 hours ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

Same, the issue is that every established PL club is trying to do the exact same thing. It doesn't appear to be an easy thing to do by any means.

It is great when one or two of them types of signings come off though. Something far more satisfying about seeing your 4m signing tearing it up over your 40m signing doing exactly what you expected.

This type of player will still cost £20-£40m like. It's down to the quality of player, their personality and a bit of luck.