NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, worthy said:

Chiesa would be so massive, by far my top pick if I could do a swap.

Don’t think he would be swapping Juve for a top 7/8 premier league team. Players of his calibre will be harder to attract without champions league. 

8 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

RW and LB are the two positions where the right signing could completely transform the team. My preference between the two is the best RW option money can buy, ideally someone who can be a backup striker also.

Striker and CB need succession planning / young depth.

CM is interesting because with no outgoings we have enough bodies, but the mix feels a little off to me. It will be interesting to see what we do.

And we really need a backup GK that plays similarly to Pope.

Scalvini

Ederson

Kubo

J David

(L Kelly free - Minteh recall)

Depending on L Hall situation - if we send him back, get Leif Davis

Out - Lascelles - Targett - Longstaff - Wilson - Almiron - Dummett - Ritchie

If possible I would sell Almiron and Murphy to raise some funds and replace them with Minteh and a top class RW. Would also sell Longstaff if we get the chance as that would be pure profit for FFP purposes.

On top of the RW we definitely need a younger quicker CB, a new striker (sell Wilson if he isn't happy being third choice) and then a CM to replace Longstaff that can also play deeper to cover Bruno/allow him to play further forward in certain games and then finally a LB. 

RW - Williams

ST - Sesko

CM - Kone/Thuram

LB - Kelly

CB - Adarabioyo or maybe someone younger from Europe with a higher ceiling

Doubt we could get Sesko though. 

1 hour ago, Mikky said:

Scalvini

Ederson

Kubo

J David

(L Kelly free - Minteh recall)

Depending on L Hall situation - if we send him back, get Leif Davis

Out - Lascelles - Targett - Longstaff - Wilson - Almiron - Dummett - Ritchie

Exactly this. Maybe Sesko for David but otherwise this will take us up to the level to compete for top 4.

Not sure we will sell Longstaff as he is one of a few homegrown players that is over 21 which helps with European competitions

Apart from the sentimental value of him being a Newcastle fan, is there not a danger signing Leif Davis who will be 25 next season and barely played any top league football?

Kelly and Tosin would be smart pick ups on a free. The latter in particular is everything Eddie loves in a centre back: height, athleticism and is decent on the deck.

Until we know what the plan is with Hall, it's not really known if we'll need a left back, but Kelly is more than capable of covering there and tucking into a back three, similar to how we've played with Burn. It'd free up funds elsewhere and allow us to look at shipping Targett too.

1 hour ago, Funtime Frankie said:

Exactly this. Maybe Sesko for David but otherwise this will take us up to the level to compete for top 4.

Not sure we will sell Longstaff as he is one of a few homegrown players that is over 21 which helps with European competitions

Eddie would probably say he does, but surely keeping Longstaff for h/g purposes only makes sense if we are planning on him being a key part of the squad.

Lets assume we are in EL or EC next season and not the CL, I'd rather have a smaller European squad but give experience to the academy players who may be the ones to breakthrough next.

1 hour ago, Funtime Frankie said:

If we want to compete high up then the likes of Longstaff are surplus to requirements in the summer - doesn’t cut it 

Whether people want Longstaff to leave or not, he won't be going anywhere. If you think Longstaff will leave, you haven't been listening to Eddie Howe at all. :lol:

He will surely end up as 5th/6th choice and that's OK with me.

My only concern with Longstaff is that he suffers for not playing regularly and it hits his confidence as well. I’d be fine with him being a sub if we saw the best of him like we do with Miggy but it would be nice to see him come on as a sub and influence a game 

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

My only concern with Longstaff is that he suffers for not playing regularly and it hits his confidence as well. I’d be fine with him being a sub if we saw the best of him like we do with Miggy but it would be nice to see him come on as a sub and influence a game 

We've showed we can go on long winning streaks with Longstaff in the side. I agree, he's a player that can look really poor when out of form.

If he has a year where he gets less game time, he might decide leave, which is also fine but Eddie won't actively push him out the door, especially not this summer.

40 minutes ago, STM said:

Whether people want Longstaff to leave or not, he won't be going anywhere. If you think Longstaff will leave, you haven't been listening to Eddie Howe at all. :lol:

He will surely end up as 5th/6th choice and that's OK with me.

He's possibly already 5th choice, Bruno, Tonali, Joelinton and Willock all potentially ahead of him.

He'll stay and that's fine, if we add another CM to the squad then that's a pretty strong group. Obviously if Bruno or Joelinton leave then they'll need replacing. 

Longstaff has suffered from playing a lot when coming just back from injury and in a midfield with Miley that was unbalanced and didn't really work. 

He's proved to be a fairly effective player in Eddie's system with either of the Joe's in there. He'd be fine as the Tonali backup next year. 

5 minutes ago, TRC said:

If we do get Ederson, then how do we look next season? Doesn't seem to fit the profile we need?

He 100% suits our profile - in the current set up he plays on the right of midfield - essentially is the Longstaff upgrade we crave - can play as a 6 or alongside Tonali in a 2 - you can play Big Joe as LWF - there is so much flexibility 

I want 5 midfielders competing - Bruno - Tonali - Big Joe - Willock - Ederson with Miley and Anderson continuing their development and coming in and out - even bigger bonus if we qualify for Europe 

There’s no time for sentiment - I don’t want Longstaff as 5th choice - sell him and move on