NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

3 minutes ago, Gottlob said:

I'll let other people do the fancy signings, because I do think we'll be after a right-sided forward, an accomplished or aspiring young centre-back, and though I dread to say it, I can see Bruno going and us paying a hefty wedge for his replacement while still leaving a little bit of cash spare in the piggy bank.

Instead what I'll do is focus on some of those lesser lights who might still brighten a damp winter morning, not merely filling in come another injury crisis or adding a bit of something different off the bench but providing real competition each and every week. These are signings who won't get anybody's pulses going but should prove crucial for squad balance without costing the earth.

The first name I'm liking is Fagioli from Juventus, a talented young all-around midfielder who can do the dirty work but also shows good ball control and balance. He'd be able to fill in pretty much anywhere you'd like. The second is Adam Armstrong, a home-grown, one of the top scorers in the Championship this season, a versatile frontman who unlike so many other options provides genuine striking ability, and possibly available come the end of the season if Southampton's promotion challenge continues to falter. I'm making no bones about it, for me Adam Armstrong is a must-have. And the third name is the out-of-sorts Palace left back Jeffrey Schlupp.

You’d probably get more bites if you just said McTominay and Billing.

All for a midfield addition if it pushes Longstaff down the pecking order.. he’s had that purple patch but then been way off the boil this season, I suppose like much of the team but he’s been particularly poor in recent games.. Joelinton, Willock, Bruno, Tonali and then a new face would be ideal, someone who can add some power and pace to the midfield.

1 hour ago, Gottlob said:

I'll let other people do the fancy signings, because I do think we'll be after a right-sided forward, an accomplished or aspiring young centre-back, and though I dread to say it, I can see Bruno going and us paying a hefty wedge for his replacement while still leaving a little bit of cash spare in the piggy bank.

Instead what I'll do is focus on some of those lesser lights who might still brighten a damp winter morning, not merely filling in come another injury crisis or adding a bit of something different off the bench but providing real competition each and every week. These are signings who won't get anybody's pulses going but should prove crucial for squad balance without costing the earth.

The first name I'm liking is Fagioli from Juventus, a talented young all-around midfielder who can do the dirty work but also shows good ball control and balance. He'd be able to fill in pretty much anywhere you'd like. The second is Adam Armstrong, a home-grown, one of the top scorers in the Championship this season, a versatile frontman who unlike so many other options provides genuine striking ability, and possibly available come the end of the season if Southampton's promotion challenge continues to falter. I'm making no bones about it, for me Adam Armstrong is a must-have. And the third name is the out-of-sorts Palace left back Jeffrey Schlupp.

A lot of effort there for a windup pal.

2 hours ago, SUPERTOON said:

Who would everyone’s 3 ideal and realistic signings be this summer ?

No idea on names. I don’t watch all the European leagues. Or even keep tabs on players that are often linked to big moves anymore. 

But I think right forward, striker and a left back. 

Right forward is priority. 

I think the striker depends on what happens with Wilson. 2nd choice to compete with Isak or a younger 3rd choice type that perhaps can cover across the front three. 

Left back is kind of dependant on what happens with Hall and Targett. But seems like we have 3 left backs and none of them seem a strong first choice sort of level. Howe loves Burn, despite his flaws. Targett fell out of favour a bit and has been injured a lot. Hall doesn’t get a look in. 

EDIT - I would have said centre back. But seems Lascelles is staying for another season and we also just gave Krafth and extension. I do worry about the lack of pace in

the back 4, mind. 

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just now, The Prophet said:

If we sign Kelly and could shift Targett, we'd have more than enough cover at left back.

Kelly is rather injury prone no? And not a real left back at that iirc? 

43 minutes ago, Dr Jinx said:

All for a midfield addition if it pushes Longstaff down the pecking order.. he’s had that purple patch but then been way off the boil this season, I suppose like much of the team but he’s been particularly poor in recent games.. Joelinton, Willock, Bruno, Tonali and then a new face would be ideal, someone who can add some power and pace to the midfield.

Cant we speculate possible transfers without  having a dig a current players? 

1 minute ago, Choppy Chop Chop said:

Cant we speculate possible transfers without  having a dig a current players? 

I’ve defended Longstaff on many an occasion. It’s not a personal dig at him, but he’s one of several players we have in our first team squad taking up a space that we’re going to have to let go of if we’re going to take a step up.

16 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Kelly is rather injury prone no? And not a real left back at that iirc? 

That’s just how Eddie likes them in this system. Might be a good Burn upgrade. But a bit injury prone, like you say. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

That’s just how Eddie likes them in this system. Might be a good Burn upgrade. But a bit injury prone, like you say. 

Aye club may see it as almost a positive too in that they can still give bdb game time. On a free you definitely take the punt. 

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Would anyone take Cucurella?

No, they would need a big fee and he’s probably on what’s Bruno’s on. I think he’s a good player when used correctly but not for us. 

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

Would anyone take Cucurella?

If you could get him for £20m I think he'd be worth a try to see if you can get him back to his Brighton form. Anything more than that, nah.

I think when we talk about selling Longstaff, Wilson, Targett etc we need to keep an eye on the balance of the squad in terms of homegrown players, especially if we manage to qualify for Europe again.

Spoiler

Pope, Dubravka, Karius, Gillespie

Trippier, Livramento, Burn, Targett, (Hall)

Botman, Schar, Lascelles, Krafth

Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Tonali, Anderson, (Miley)

Almiron, Gordon, Murphy, Barnes

Isak, Wilson

That's a squad of 24, plus Hall and Miley who don't have to be registered. 14 are English Homegrown (we need 8?) but only three are Club Homegrown (we need four?) and one of those is Gillespie. 

That would leave us with a maximum squad size of either 23 or 24 for Europe, reduce it by one if we sell Longstaff. I'm not sure how the Club Homegrown rules work with the PL squad. 

The centre midfield was the cornerstone of our success last year so I'd invest there first and foremost. 

Followed very closely by a RW and in light of Howes comments about Hall a right sided CB whis good on the ball.

A right winger who can also play through the middle is the only absolute necessity IMO.  Would be nice to have a proper left back, some better cover at centre back and some creativity in centre mid too

1 hour ago, Lush Vlad said:

£170k was the rumour flying around when he signed there. 

Chelsea’s wage bill is incredible viewing.

£450k a week on Chilwell and James. Chilwell has 9 PL league starts this season and James has 5.