NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

LB comes down to whether Howe thinks Hall will be ready to start there next season (right now I’m guessing not). The fact we have so many on our books just means we have a lot to sell/release.

3 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I was chatting to my local journo mate and he was chatting to one of the Arsenal correspondents (Athletic maybe?) who was pretty convinced Arsenal are going to come sniffing around for Isak in the summer.

Dont think he is mobile enough for Arsenal.

On 09/03/2024 at 15:57, SteV said:

Tbf he’s never had a hamstring injury in his career until the game at home to us earlier this season.

So what you’re saying is, it’s not Howe or the medical team to blame for all our injuries, but our groundsmen for laying a shitty pitch 󠀠

1 minute ago, Dr Jinx said:

So what you’re saying is, it’s not Howe or the medical team to blame for all our injuries, but our groundsmen for laying a shitty pitch 󠀠

Nah, Wolves groundsman…

1 hour ago, Colos Short and Curlies said:

i really don’t think that’s a problem in Europa or Conference leagues.

we should use it as an opportunity to give some of the u21s match day experience and even a few of them 20 mins here and there. 

more benefit to that than playing Longstaff for 90 every game, got to see if they have it in them or not

It's just daft buying that many players then not being able to register them (or others) for a competition we'd presumably aim to win.

Pope, Dubravka, Gillespie

Trippier, Livramento, Burn, Targett, (Hall)

Botman, Schar, Lascelles, Krafth

Bruno, Joelinton, Willock, Longstaff, Tonali, Anderson, (Miley)

Almiron, Gordon, Murphy, Barnes

Isak, Wilson

They are the players we'd have to register next season as it stands. I've assumed Karius and Dummett are away. Hall and Miley are U21s so don't count.

That's 23 and we've got three homegrown there, one of which is Gillespie so that's a squad of 23 or 24 we can register for Europa/Conference League, so it becomes one in one out otherwise someone isn't being registered for the competition. If we sign seven players, we'll have to shift six or seven from that 23. 

3 minutes ago, joeyt said:

I don't think Gillespie counts as home grown does he?

No, not for Europe anyway

Edited by Jack27

5 hours ago, r0cafella said:

We definitely need a left back; Tino isn’t a left back he’s done a great job standing in but he’s wasted there offensively. 

As for the rest of the left backs, Dan burn being first choice kinda tells you all you need to know about them. 

He’s not, but he can do a solid job out there, and Hall needs to be trusted long term and not stunting further. When CB/RW, and potentially back up Striker / GK (if Pope is broken now) are more priorities because of depth, they need to be focusses.

Signing a LB for say £30m+ would just be dumb in the short term.

LB for us is such a weird situation. When compared to RB in particular. Of all those contending for a place realistically (Burn, Targett, Hall) none of them share similar profiles. Their strengths and weaknesses seem polar opposites.

Burn can give you aerial support, reading of the game and leadership but lacks technical ability. Hall is weak in the air and very quiet on the pitch but has bags of technical ability but maybe still a little green with it. Targett arguably was the best combination and the middle ground before his two injuries which I fear will lead him to losing a yard of pace that he couldn’t reallly afford to lose, as although he was no slouch helped by his timing/reading of the game he certainly lacked pace.

I can see why some would argue its a clear position to upgrade but I can also see the argument it’s not top priority when we are trying to develope Hall.

Once Tonali and Big J are back, what are the priorities really. I would say getting another CF.

The LB situation has Targett/Hall and Burn.  That should be sufficient if EH would use them all and not just stick with Burn 100% of the time.

With LB I can see both sides we are shipping goals for fun this season and all of the options are getting a year older. Saying that if you include making targett and hall permanent we have invested into the LB position every window since the take over while CB, RW etc are in need of upgrade. If PSR/FFP are going to kick us in the nuts we need to strengthen elsewhere first. 

If we say manage to get someone to give us 12/15m for Targett then yes I guess get another LB if the position doesn't create any revenue through sales we need to look elsewhere on the pitch first unless they change their mind on loans. 

1 hour ago, LFEE said:

LB for us is such a weird situation. When compared to RB in particular. Of all those contending for a place realistically (Burn, Targett, Hall) none of them share similar profiles. Their strengths and weaknesses seem polar opposites.

Burn can give you aerial support, reading of the game and leadership but lacks technical ability. Hall is weak in the air and very quiet on the pitch but has bags of technical ability but maybe still a little green with it. Targett arguably was the best combination and the middle ground before his two injuries which I fear will lead him to losing a yard of pace that he couldn’t reallly afford to lose, as although he was no slouch helped by his timing/reading of the game he certainly lacked pace.

I can see why some would argue its a clear position to upgrade but I can also see the argument it’s not top priority when we are trying to develope Hall.

This, since the takeover we've already bought Burn and Targett, and have 30M plus committed out of our summer budget on Hall. As much as I'd love a Hincapie singing or something, it makes no sense funneling half our budget into LB constantly 

However, whilst we have great depth at LB on paper, it's a clear weak point of our first 11. And all players are different 

Lloyd Kelly would great as free transfer. But yeah I'm really curious as to what we do at LB in the Summer 

49 minutes ago, Ben said:

So what players will be leaving ? 

Targett

Wilson

Ritchie

Dubs

Dummett

Karius

Almiron

Hayden

Fraser

Lewis

So basically the same list as last season and perhaps the one before that…

1 hour ago, joeyt said:

I don't think Gillespie counts as home grown does he?

1 hour ago, Jack27 said:

No, not for Europe anyway

Didn't consider that he didn't play for us until he was much older! Anyway, the point stands that we aren't going to spend money on 7 first team squad players just to have them (or others) unavailable for selection.

Even before we have to shift players to make room for them, we've also got Fraser, Hayden & Lewis who all have a year on their contracts I think. We're not going to sell 10+ players this summer.

4 minutes ago, llcoolc157 said:

So basically the same list as last season and perhaps the one before that…

I was going to raise a similar point that looking at who is out of contract end of this season and then end of next the ones we effectively kicked the can down the road by offering an extension are up.

Not saying it's a bad thing to offer an asset a year rather than spending money on a replacement or hope that giving them a contact means you could sell rather than let go on a free. It's all going back to the having to be ruthless in selling letting players run down contracts will not raise any more for FFP purposes for their inevitable replacements.

1 hour ago, Ben said:

So what players will be leaving ? 

Targett

Wilson

Ritchie

Dubs

Dummett

Karius

Almiron

Hayden

Fraser

Lewis

narrator: these players will all still be employed by Newcastle United come September 

Murphy is 29 and Miggy is 30.  RW should be first priority. Getting someone who can cover CF would be very nice. I'm not sure i believe the articles about Matt Targett getting £100,000-a-week but, if true, no one is going to want him.  His worth has halved since he signed with Newcastle. Most of our outgoing business won't result in big fees unless we move Isak, Bruno or Trippier. 

15 minutes ago, gbandit said:

There’s not a chance he’s on £100k

Unfortunately there is. All the independent wage sites report him to be on that, and whilst they are not conclusive proof, they are usually fairly accurate.

You also have to consider that he’s had two PL club to PL club moves, both times for a fee somewhere in the region of £10m - £15m. No doubt he will have clicked a wage increase each time.

1 minute ago, SteV said:

Unfortunately there is. All the independent wage sites report him to be on that, and whilst they are not conclusive proof, they are usually fairly accurate.

You also have to consider that he’s had two PL club to PL club moves, both times for a fee somewhere in the region of £10m - £15m. No doubt he will have clicked a wage increase each time.

How would you know if they are fairly accurate if the wage is never reported by the club?