NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

4 hours ago, r0cafella said:

Mgw would be stupid expensive. 

Yup that ship has sailed, as far as our FFP situation goes.

The time to grab him would have been after that Championship season. 

Just now, KaKa said:

Yup that ship has sailed, as far as our FFP situation goes.

The time to grab him would have been after that Championship season. 

How much do you think he’d be now?

4 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

How much do you think he’d be now?

They paid £35 million, rising to £42.5 million if all add ons are achieved.

He's  turned 24 this year, and so is still young. He's English too.

Can't see them taking anything less than say £55 million with add ons included.

1 minute ago, KaKa said:

They paid £35 million, rising to £42.5 million if all add ons are achieved.

He's  turned 24 this year, and so is still young. He's English too.

Can't see them taking anything less than say £55 million with add ons included.

I guess it depends what they see as vital to the side, they spent 40+ on Gordon. Will be interesting to see what they do but they’re definitely bringing in a RW I think. 

Edited by ExiledGeordie

The LB situation is still interesting for me. Like what’s going to happen with Targett, do they see Hall starting next season? Seems like other areas are more important (RW, CB, striker) but sorting LB out properly would be good. 

3 minutes ago, ExiledGeordie said:

I guess it depends what they see as vital to the side. They spend 40+ on Gordon. Will be interesting to see what they do but they’re definitely bringing in a RW I think. 

I really like the other Morgan in the Championship, Whittaker. That would be the equivalent of us getting MGW before he moves to Forest. In fact it would be cheaper, because he isn't owned by a Premier League club, like MGW was.

Whittaker is having an exceptional season. He's tall, strong, quick and cuts in with his left foot from that right side really well, showing some really good technique.

His profile looks right up our street. The only thing I'm not sure of is his defensive contribution, as I haven't paid enough attention to that side.

36 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I really like the other Morgan in the Championship, Whittaker. That would be the equivalent of us getting MGW before he moves to Forest. In fact it would be cheaper, because he isn't owned by a Premier League club, like MGW was.

Whittaker is having an exceptional season. He's tall, strong, quick and cuts in with his left foot from that right side really well, showing some really good technique.

His profile looks right up our street. The only thing I'm not sure of is his defensive contribution, as I haven't paid enough attention to that side.

Would he be any more of an upgrade on having minteh next season? 

4 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

They’ll almost be certainly looking for long term replacements for Pope, Schar and Wilson in the summer I think.

Wilson and Schar is a must. Both obviously coming into the last few years (at top level). Schar will probably start next season but Wilson won't be and you'd imagine we can get a reasonable fee for him.

With so many other areas that we need to go big on, I'd be happy with Pope as #1 next season but of course we need to bring in a better #2, a more appropriate style of keeper than Dubs.

I think that if we are gonna stand the chance of keeping Isak and Bruno even further than next season then we we have to get say two top top quality players that are ready more or less from the off. Get that done and yeah, if we can afford anyone else on top of that then great. Strengthen the 1st team first and foremost. We can’t sign to many promising youngsters and then wait a year or two before they blossom. Isak and Bruno won’t/can’t wait. Have a great season next and we can build even further on that.  Two classy players that improve our 1st team would go a very long way imo on top of what we have already. Having said that, backup for Isak is vital. 

Edited by Ikon

49 minutes ago, black_n_white said:

Would he be any more of an upgrade on having minteh next season? 

I think Minteh should come back regardless as a rotation option. Especially if we get into Europe. But yeah I'd trust Whittaker to be better prepared.

I think I've just come to really respect the Championship as a developing ground for young players now. Performing well there as a young player is a very good sign IMO. It also prepares you best for the physicality of the Premier League.

Look at Gyokeres going from Coventry to Sporting and looking an absolute monster, and now everyone is after him, and he's apparently going to cost around £80 million. They signed him for cheap last summer.

Madison, Grealish, Bowen, Gibbs-White, Eberechi Eze, Ollie Watkins ... all cut their teeth in the Championship and adjusted quickly to shining in the Premier League.

Edited by KaKa

That Whittaker looks an interesting one wonder how much he’d cost, very left footed but can go both ways and certainly knows where back of the net is. 

Edited by Whitley mag

3 minutes ago, Whitley mag said:

That Whittaker looks an interesting one wonder how much he’d cost, very left footed but can go both ways and certainly knows where back of the net is. 

@Menace mentioned Plymouth signed him for £1 million last summer.

Just having a quick look and there's talk of them wanting £15 million in the summer.

47 minutes ago, Ikon said:

I think that if we are gonna stand the chance of keeping Isak and Bruno even further than next season then we we have to get say two top top quality players that are ready more or less from the off

Does this include Tonali? 

17 minutes ago, KaKa said:

I think Minteh should come back regardless as a rotation option. Especially if we get into Europe. But yeah I'd trust Whittaker to be better prepared.

I think I've just come to really respect the Championship as a developing ground for young players now. Performing well there as a young player is a very good sign IMO. It also prepares you best for the physicality of the Premier League.

Look at Gyokeres going from Coventry to Sporting and looking an absolute monster, and now everyone is after him, and he's apparently going to cost around £80 million. They signed him for cheap last summer.

Madison, Grealish, Bowen, Gibbs-White, Eberechi Eze, Ollie Watkins ... all cut their teeth in the Championship and adjusted quickly to shining in the Premier League.

I think clubs have got burnt because of goalscorers in the past. So it is etched in fans memories. The same way people view the Eredivisie. 

Lots of high profile flops/players that don’t score anywhere near as many.  Top of my head, Ross McCormack, Dwight Gayle, Adam Armstrong for the Champ. Kezman, Alves, De Jong (both) from Holland. 

I agree with you that the Championship is perhaps better than it once was and for the right type of player. I don’t think clubs or fans should be put off. 

1 minute ago, Lush Vlad said:

I think clubs have got burnt because of goalscorers in the past. So it is etched in fans memories. The same way people view the Eredivisie. 

Lots of high profile flops/players that don’t score anywhere near as many.  Top of my head, Ross McCormack, Dwight Gayle, Adam Armstrong for the Champ. Kezman, Alves, De Jong (both) from Holland. 

I agree with you that the Championship is perhaps better than it once was and for the right type of player. I don’t think clubs or fans should be put off. 

Yeah, I agree.

There's more that will go into checking that the player will be a good fit for the Premier League and how your team plays etc. Like scouting any other prospect really.

Regarding a lot of the players that flop they tend to maybe not have the physicality required to make the step, or don't have enough versatility to their game and so are quite one dimensional.

I imagine he would cost too much but otherwise I wouldn’t mind us going for Cunha from wolves. He’s reasonably versatile isn’t he? Despite CF being his main position. I could see him become very good under Howe and can play out wide as well as attacking CM. He is starting to find some end product. Not that signing a CF as backup as well as another wide player would be cheap either, mind. 

Edited by Ikon

Just now, Ikon said:

I imagine he would cost too much but otherwise I wouldn’t mind us going for Cunha from wolves. He’s reasonably versatile isn’t he? Despite CF being his main position. I could see him become very good under Howe and can play out wide too. He is starting to find some end product. 

He’s great, probably what we thought we were getting in v1.0 of Joelinton. 

On the subject of MGW, those saying he will cost 60m...I don't see it.

Forest have been breaching PSR, they signed him for 40ish. They can want 60m but they will be under all kinds of pressure to sell him, especially if he makes it clear he wants the move. 

I'd actually go as far to say that he's worth the 60m, if that's the high end price. Given what we've done with Gordon at 45m, I'm certain the value of MGW would reflect the cost.