NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

People mentioning a single good period for DCL should remember Cisse had an absolutely insane season once then never again, Miggy was tremendous for one year. Mo Diame became Michael Essien for one year under Rafa. I could name 20 more just for Newcastle.

The most likely outcome is the performance levels from the 9 out of 10 other seasons.

(also why Bowen is so highly rated, he’s delivered every season)

20 minutes ago, Stal said:

Absolutely don't want calvin llewelyn bowne or whatever his name is. Just because I hate double barrel names, just pick the better sounding one ffs. 

In fairness Dominic Calvert & Dominic Lewin both sound shit

21 minutes ago, SteV said:

So finding someone better is going to cost even more.

Unless you’re an established CL team, finding a quality backup striker to an elite level one, is one of the most difficult positions to fill.

Spurs struggled for years to find any kind of backup to Kane, Levy probably absolutely fumed at the amount they wasted trying. Eventually they kinda solved it with Son, although that might have been more luck than judgement as not sure that was actually the reason he was bought.

Isn’t that why we have brought Paul Mitchell in? As part of the excitement in him getting the role is the amount of players he has brought in to clubs from abroad that have been successful. 

So I don’t see why we are so limited on option that we have to see that anything better than Calvert-Lewin is unachievable.

Whilst you can’t guarantee success with a replacement for Wilson that also goes for DCL, who you would think would have the attributes to star in a team playing the kind of football that Dyche does.

The other issue is that Wilson can slot in to the team when Isak is out and we can still play the same type of football, yet we can’t do this with DCL as his attributes are completely different, meaning we will have to change the way we play to accommodate him, which is fine in the last 20 minutes of a game when chasing against a team sat deep but you wouldn’t want to have to play like that for a number of weeks or months.

1 minute ago, Matt1892 said:

The other issue is that Wilson can slot in to the team when Isak is out and we can still play the same type of football, yet we can’t do this with DCL as his attributes are completely different, meaning we will have to change the way we play to accommodate him, which is fine in the last 20 minutes of a game when chasing against a team sat deep but you wouldn’t want to have to play like that for a number of weeks or months.

we absolutely can’t play the same football with Wilson as we do with Isak. 

Wilson’s overall game was woeful last year. His performance at home to Dortmund (even if we discount missing an absolute sitter) was horrible. 

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Not sure, I’ve only seen it on that Will twitter and Joel Bland twitter.

About as reliable a predictor as Clinton Baptiste.

1 minute ago, captainhaircut said:

we absolutely can’t play the same football with Wilson as we do with Isak. 

Wilson’s overall game was woeful last year. His performance at home to Dortmund (even if we discount missing an absolute sitter) was horrible. 

The tactics remained the same, as they did the season before. 

The issue last season was Wilson wasn’t fit enough to get any sort of run of games or form under his belt.

I don’t see Calvert-Lewin being able to slot in with the kind of football we currently play, he’s not a good finisher with the ball at his feet and there will be a reliance on getting to the touch line and crossing from the wide players rather than cutting in as they do now.

15 minutes ago, gdm said:

In fairness Dominic Calvert & Dominic Lewin both sound shit

not if you say it in afrench accent.

Domineec Calvair

Could see the sense in DCL but you'd think that this is the kind of thing we've brought Mitchell in for. A young, versatile forward with some potential.

At RW I would fully support going big on someone like Bowen or Raphinha, would be massive to get someone that we can be almost certain will hit the ground running.

28 minutes ago, WilliamPS said:

People mentioning a single good period for DCL should remember Cisse had an absolutely insane season once then never again, Miggy was tremendous for one year. Mo Diame became Michael Essien for one year under Rafa. I could name 20 more just for Newcastle.

The most likely outcome is the performance levels from the 9 out of 10 other seasons.

I definitely take the point and you could be right, but as DCL was very good for almost all of the time Ancelotti was there (and wasn't injured) I'm willing to put it down to that rather than a random purple patch. 

Tbf, since then I don't think he's been fit/up to speed/in a good team long enough to come to any conclusion either. 

Edited by Kid Icarus

Just now, Kid Icarus said:

I definitely take the point and you could be right, but as DCL was very good for almost all of the time Ancelotti was there (and wasn't injured) I'm willing to put it down to that rather than a random purple patch. 

Tbf, since then I don't think he's been fit/up to speed long enough to come to any conclusion either. 

That in itself is a concern, considering Isak isn’t reliable fitness wise.

15 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

The tactics remained the same, as they did the season before. 

The issue last season was Wilson wasn’t fit enough to get any sort of run of games or form under his belt.

I don’t see Calvert-Lewin being able to slot in with the kind of football we currently play, he’s not a good finisher with the ball at his feet and there will be a reliance on getting to the touch line and crossing from the wide players rather than cutting in as they do now.

There's no reason that needs to be the case, he can be a plan B or we can adapt the way that the ball goes into him/Isak. More than 1 way to skin a cat and all that. Everyone hated Chris Wood, but we were in top 4 form for all of his extended time in the team. 

Just now, SUPERTOON said:

That in itself is a concern, considering Isak isn’t reliable fitness wise.

He played more last season, I'm just also no convinced playing up top in a middling Dyche team tells us how he'd fair in a better team. Whereas how he played under that Ancelotti Everton team might. 

2 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

He played more last season, I'm just also no convinced playing up top in a middling Dyche team tells us how he'd fair in a better team. Whereas how he played under that Ancelotti Everton team might. 

Yeah don’t get me wrong, if he’s fully fit I think he would be an excellent addition. A fully fit DCL would be as good a backup striker you can get imo.

I have absolutely no problem at all in bringing in DCL if he's a direct replacement for Wilson. Good to see he's called Everton's bluff, they have already missed out on Minteh trying to be clever cunts. If Howe wants him that bad, he'll make it work.

1 hour ago, Stottie said:

If Wilson is going, that's DCL's money right there.

Sorry to go back to Bowen yet again and the "low risk" aspect, but if we don't do well this season, the bigger risk is we lose some combination of Bruno, Isak, and Gordon next summer. Oh, and Howe himself if the big bosses in Saudi are unhappy. The people directly managing the club are unlikely to have the final say.

Eight points off Villa, who finished the season W3 D4 L3 with a minus goal difference in those 10 games, and now face CL

No Poch at Chelsea, who were improving

No Klopp at Liverpool. Maybe no Salah too.

ten Hag retained in spite of whatever pathetic goal difference they managed

Hang onto Bruno and Isak and strengthen where we need to and we should be back up there. With Bowen, genuine competition for Pope, and reasonable injury luck, I think we'd be up there. 

The performance of this season has little impact on PSR for 24/25. League position from 4th to 7th is worth about £12m and cup runs are draw-dependent with prize money nothing crazy.

The biggest impact on PSR for next 1st July is our trading.

54 minutes ago, Kid Icarus said:

There's no reason that needs to be the case, he can be a plan B or we can adapt the way that the ball goes into him/Isak. More than 1 way to skin a cat and all that. Everyone hated Chris Wood, but we were in top 4 form for all of his extended time in the team. 

But was our top 4 form because of Chris Wood or in spite of having Chris Wood?

5 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

It's not necessarily a binary choice like that. We massively improved structurally when he was playing for us, despite him being a shite finisher. 

1 hour ago, WilliamPS said:

That form was over two consecutive seasons.

As someone has already mentioned, it was also under a good manager in Ancelotti, who rated him.

Pretty sure that's the real factor in all this.

7 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

I assume Paul has spent his first week trying to convince Eddie not to pay 70m for Solanke?

Wouldn’t Eddie have some claim to the credit of him being worth 70m food for though. 

10 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

Yeah that right Einstein. A team that was relegation fodder achieved top 4 even whilst carrying a passenger 😂😂😂😂😂