NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

13 minutes ago, Unbelievable said:

Can't remember people saying such things about the likes of Anderson and Miley when they were eased in from lower league/next to no significant experience, so I think Minteh would have been given a fair crack just like everybody else coming in.

On a general note, Brighton, Dortmund, Lyon and the likes were happy to spend >30m on him, so perhaps we should stop pretending he'd be nowhere near ready for some first team action in a top league yeah..?

I'm just saying that I can image extreme scepticism if Minteh was our RW signing. 

I wish Minteh well, I just don't get the attachment to someone who never even trained with our first team. I just always assumed he would probably sold for FFP.

3 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I'm just saying that I can image extreme scepticism if Minteh was our RW signing. 

I wish Minteh well, I just don't get the attachment to someone who never even trained with our first team. I just always assumed he would probably sold for FFP.

I agree. I can't remember when, but I am sure I recall an interview where Howe said he hadn't kept particularly close tabs on him and hadn't spoken to him during his time there. At most I think they wanted to take a look pre-season based on his better-than-expected time in Holland, but I think this was always a viable option if not the option.

23 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali and Isak. Big in fee and reputation.  

Trippier was a massive coup at the time too.  

Botman and Bruno were highly rated too. Linked to some other big clubs. Maybe not mega but close. 

We’ve done really well in getting players top clubs were having a look at but had not pulled the trigger. And we got one from a big club and beat that same big club to another one. 

Okay, well I think we view mega signings differently then.

Because for me those are signings that are pretty much sure bankers, that are fully proven and guaranteed successes.

If we go out and sign an Olise or Kudus this summer for that right wing those would be mega signings.

18 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

Bang on. There should be no shame merely admitting we planned poorly, and lost a highly sought after talent for it.

No one in here denies, as far as I know, that it was the right move to sell under the circumstances.

Planned poorly!? 

There is no golden bullet. Buying unproven youth to sell on to make profit was the plan. It’s a very good plan to keep the proven talent. Without that plan Bruno/ Gordon/ Isak would have been sold.

Sorry but it is anything but poor planning. What did you want the club to do?

1 minute ago, Toon1892 said:

Planned poorly!? 

There is no golden bullet. Buying unproven youth to sell on to make profit was the plan. It’s a very good plan to keep the proven talent. Without that plan Bruno/ Gordon/ Isak would have been sold.

Mate, if you think shopping Anthony Gordon for a desperate eleventh hour sale isn't the mark of poor planning, manifest.... I don't really know what else to say

Are we denying now that we played fast and loose with PSR deadlines and it almost was catastrophic?

Just now, Upthemags said:

Mate, if you think shopping Anthony Gordon for a desperate eleventh hour sale isn't the mark of poor planning, manifest.... I don't really know what else to say

Are we denying now that we played fast and loose with PSR deadlines and it almost was catastrophic?

It’s a toss up between spending a lot of money on players (which we have done) and then having to flog one last minute.

Or reigning in the spending and not having as a good a squad as we do now. What would you have preferred?

The real issue was Bruno’s release clause, they didn’t want to sell prized assets if Bruno was to go too. Therefore they had to wait until the last week. That isn’t their fault. Now that release clause has expired we’re in a much better position.

You have to look at the full picture.

3 minutes ago, Upthemags said:

The Gordon ‘flogging’ was paper talk. It was always going to be Minteh.

1 hour ago, geordie_b said:

If we didnt have the 'PSR nonsense' Minteh still wouldnt be at the club as we would have signed multiple players far better than him

If it wasn't for the PSR nonsense, I'm sure we'd have far rather sold Miggy or Willson rather than Minteh. I'd like to think we'd have sold Longstaff and Trippier as well, although I'm not sure Howe would agree with that.

I hope you're right about signing far better players, I think that will get rid of the bitter taste far sooner than anything else.

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

There’s not a side in the world that Isak wouldn’t improve. He’s a top 3 striker in world football in my opinion 

Yes, easy to say that now, but this wasn't the conversation back then.

The alternatives would have been to not bother trying to compete above mid-table and taking a 10point deduction instead of selling a player we'd likely have loaned out this season. 

People moaning about the current situation could have filled their boots with that

Just now, Stottie said:

fwiw, Isak was the most expensive player ever signed by a non-Sky 6 club.

3 minutes ago, andycap said:

I'd say 60+ million for isak and tonali in newcastles history is mega signings mind. 

Maybe not other clubs but to us yes. 

Yes, but we were quickly told by all and sundry that we overpaid.

To be fair to our recruitment team, if they like a player they back their judgement and fork out, regardless of what the general opinion is.

It was the same with Gordon too. I remember it being referred to as a Bournemouth signing on here, and it was seen as an overpayment when we spent £40 million.

Similar to what people have said about some of the players we've been linked to this summer.

But then their values have all shot up, once they come in and over perform.

1 hour ago, The College Dropout said:

Tonali and Isak. Big in fee and reputation.  

Trippier was a massive coup at the time too.  

Botman and Bruno were highly rated too. Linked to some other big clubs. Maybe not mega but close. 

We’ve done really well in getting players top clubs were having a look at but had not pulled the trigger. And we got one from a big club and beat that same big club to another one. 

Surprised that needed to be asked of you tbf. They all were who jumped to mind.

1 hour ago, Toon1892 said:

Planned poorly!? 

Not buy Barnes to sit on the bench for starters, something he's going to be doing again unless we sell Gordon.

3 hours ago, KaKa said:

We really haven't made any mega signings and don't need to.

Just need to get a player the manager rates and believes will excel in our setup.

Same as we have been doing already, and having success with.

Counterpoint: Sign Vini.

3 minutes ago, Away Toon said:

Not buy Barnes to sit on the bench for starters, something he's going to be doing again unless we sell Gordon.

If we don't get a decent RW then he'll probably start plenty of games. Even if we do get a new RW having someone of Barnes' quality to come off the bench is very important as well. All part of building a competent squad. Who even knows what will happen, for all we know Barnes could be keeping Gordon out of the team at some point this season.