NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Surely we can’t go into this season with no first choice left back?! It’s arguably the position we’ve needed to strengthen most and we’re about to sign another right back. 
I know ‘trust the process’ and all that shit but the full back situation is a bit of a head scratcher! 

young lb rumours are Ait-Nouri, Ian Maatsen types.

Think we’ve decided against a big outlay on a LB. Doubt we are looking at Tierney anymore, as Livramento is versatile. The money will be spent on a CB, with a young LB on loan.

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Surely we can’t go into this season with no first choice left back?! It’s arguably the position we’ve needed to strengthen most and we’re about to sign another right back. 
I know ‘trust the process’ and all that shit but the full back situation is a bit of a head scratcher! 

We had the best defence in the league last year. [emoji38]

1 minute ago, Holmesy said:

Our first choice LB was part of the joint best defence in the league last season :lol:

Just now, Holmesy said:

We don’t know do we? EH might see livramento is a left back, he might have had conversations with Trippier about moving to left back and he might even be signing livramento with a view to him playing right wing. I’m sure it’ll all come together. 

Just now, STM said:

The issue is the lack of left backs available IMO.

It's the one position in the world where there seems a drought, certainly in the bracket we are after.

Completely agree, even the top class one who is a available in Tierney has massive question marks over fitness.

3 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burn and Targett?

Think it’s clear that’s the case. Though I’d quite like to move Targett and replace with better and less wage. We’ve outgrown him far quicker than imagined and we really stretched what we offered him.

2 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

Right back and possibly even CB are bigger issues than LB.

Trippier gets crocked for any length of time we are absolutely fucked. There’s a big drop in quality if either Botman and Schar are out for any length of time too.

At LB we have Burn and Targett. Maybe not quite of the same quality as the rest of the back four but both very, very good.

Guest reefatoon

Someone in the other thread mentioned how bad the disrespect Schar gets. I think the disrespect Burn gets is even worse.

2 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Someone in the other thread mentioned how bad the disrespect Schar gets. I think the disrespect Burn gets is even worse.

He’s been brilliant as a defender. No denying that. We are gonna need a left back that can get up and down the park who can get involved in these famous Barnes 1-2’s

18 minutes ago, Holmesy said:

17 minutes ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Burn and Targett?

This 👆

Guest reefatoon
6 minutes ago, gdm said:

He’s been brilliant as a defender. No denying that. We are gonna need a left back that can get up and down the park who can get involved in these famous Barnes 1-2’s

Totally agree. It’s a position to look at and if we can bring one in, all the better. I just feel Burn didn’t get anywhere near the credit he should have for how he played last season. Some of the stuff you would read was ridiculous.

6 minutes ago, gdm said:

I really don’t see this as a tactic we will pursue hence why I think Burn and Targett will be who we go with this season. Obviously we need some width and dynamism on the left, but the right side is where we attack / create and shifting the left back to a makeshift back 3 is how we play. It’s similar to what Man City and Liverpool now do

17 minutes ago, gdm said:

That’s mainly going to be coming from the forward or left sided 8 though surely. If our left back is spending the game in the half spaces on the edge of the oppositions area, our defensive record is going to be pretty shocking

Edited by Ghandis Flip-Flop

1 minute ago, Toon88 said:

Saw some French media claiming Jean-Clair Todibo has been identified as our main CB target. Disasi no longer of interest. OGCN value @€40m

He would certainly be a better fit for us.

Just now, The Prophet said:

Going back to the previous page. I don't anyone is disrespecting Schar, he was out best defender last season. It's more and acceptance he isn't getting any younger and will need to be rotated.

I think Howe really likes the back line we played with last season and isn’t in a rush to change any of them, however he knows that age is going to catch up with most of them sooner rather than later.

The sensible thing to do is what he is looking to do with Livramento, bring in a young player with potential that can gradually replace the current player in that position over a period of up to 2 years.

I think he might look to do the same with CB and LB this summer too if he can.