NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Newcastle working to sign Lewis Hall from Chelsea

(Photo: Catherine Ivill/Getty Images)

Newcastle United are working on a deal to sign left-back Lewis Hall from Chelsea.

Eddie Howe’s side have seen a number of approaches for the 18-year-old rebuffed this summer, with Chelsea securing him to a new long-term contract.

But Newcastle’s interest has remained and they have since made another offer. Chelsea initially preferred Hall joining Crystal Palace on loan, but the England youth international is favouring a permanent exit.

The opportunity to play regular football under Howe and for a team that will compete in the Champions League this season are thought to be key factors. Hall also grew up a Newcastle fan.

Another element is Chelsea’s existing depth in his position — where Ben Chilwell is backed up by Ian Maatsen and Marc Cucurella, while Ishe Samuels-Smith has recently been recruited from Everton.

Chelsea are seeking a fee in the region of £35million if their academy graduate is to leave.

4 hours ago, NSG said:

Sees his best position as a centre midfielder but says he’s comfortable playing left back, left wing back or even centre back. One thing we seem to be targeting with players at the moment is versatility.

Having heard him talk I really hope his initiation song is I Know A Song That’ll Get on Your Nerves. 

6 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

If we can't get rid of Fraser and Hendrick because of salary, we would probably have a tough time w/ Targett who is signed through 2026.

Why’s that? Targett is ten times the player those jabronis are. A lower half team would absolutely take a punt on him. (I am in Camp Keep Matty though)

25 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

Why’s that? Targett is ten times the player those jabronis are. A lower half team would absolutely take a punt on him. (I am in Camp Keep Matty though)

That would be £11m transfer fee + someone accepting his £100k salary + Matt agreeing to leave for us to break even for FFP. He had two very good years (I remember most being excited at his loan and transfer) before this last one with the injury. I too am in the keep Targett regardless camp hoping he gets back to form.

18 minutes ago, Matt1892 said:

If we are buying young British talent then how about Cole Palmer for the right wing creative role?

A few journos keep mentioning we still want an AM. This would be a fantastic fit for what we have bought so far.