NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

8 minutes ago, madras said:

Don't be so sure. I'd guess there was leeway for a January deal if a too good to turn down deal came along or necessity. Also remember our position 24/25 will be much improved from 23/24.

Not sure what next seasons position has to do with this Januarys window. Given we couldnt buy Hall outright this year it doesnt seem likely we suddenly have a spare load to spend

Just now, 54 said:

Were basically at the same place we where during the entirety of last season midfielders wise, however with an added Anderson being half decent.

Plus now with Gordon and Barnes (when he is back), we don’t need to use Joeltinon left wing all the time. 

3 minutes ago, Fezzle said:

Not sure what next seasons position has to do with this Januarys window. Given we couldnt buy Hall outright this year it doesnt seem likely we suddenly have a spare load to spend

Was it couldn't or didn't want to in order to leave space for a necessity in January ?

3 minutes ago, madras said:

Was it couldn't or didn't want to in order to leave space for a necessity in January ?

All the talk was we were on the FFP limit before Hall, id be shocked if we splashed out on a replacement in Jan when Tonali is back for the next season. Especially when we have other areas that money is surely earmarked for next season(as well as the £30m we will be spending on Hall)

At the time:

The deferred payment allows Newcastle to comply with FFP restrictions this summer. Howe said last week that they would have to be creative to sign another player.

Edited by Fezzle

Just now, Fezzle said:

All the talk was we were on the FFP limit before Hall, id be shocked if we splashed out on a replacement in Jan when Tonali is back for the next season. Especially when we have other areas that money is surely earmarked for next season(as well as the £30m we will be spending on Hall)

All the talk was that we were still looking. I doubt there'd be a bought replacement as, as you say, Tonali will be back but even a loan will still cost as much in the short term. I can't see them thinking they can go to the end of the season with Bruno/Miley as the only recognised CMs.

Just now, madras said:

All the talk was that we were still looking. I doubt there'd be a bought replacement as, as you say, Tonali will be back but even a loan will still cost as much in the short term. I can't see them thinking they can go to the end of the season with Bruno/Miley as the only recognised CMs.

What talk? Howe literally said we must be creative just to sign Hall

1 minute ago, Fezzle said:

What talk? Howe literally said we must be creative just to sign Hall

It's like a business taking a loan to expand when it has cash in the bank. How do you know that they didn't loan Hall to keep cash back for any necessity ? 

Edited by madras

We have signed a few sponsorship deals that are effective immediately (Saudi Airlines etc.), that might enable us to spend a little bit in January if the right player is available. If not, I have faith in the players we do have, especially with Willock returning and the improvements in Anderson. 

3 minutes ago, madras said:

It's like a business taking a loan to expand when it has cash in the bank. How do you know that they didn't loan Hall to keep cash back for any necessity ? 

Because Howe said so? Why bother lying when you have no interest in any more signings that window and the club have stated several times they wont be looking at January markets in future?

Just now, Fezzle said:

Because Howe said so? Why bother lying when you have no interest in any more signings that window and the club have stated several times they wont be looking at January markets in future?

He said they'd be creative to stretch things. There are many reasons to stretch things, unforseen necessities being one and being prepared for them. And did they say they "wouldnt" or "would rather not" use January markets, subtle difference. I guess we'll see come Feb 1st.

On 20/10/2023 at 08:15, STM said:

Joelinton, Willock and Anderson is more than enough to cover LW and LCM. I wouldn't want to be taking any more long term absences though.

No it's not.

Anderson is not a PL LW at the moment.

I'd have Neves or Phillips on loan no bother.

Edit: Forgot Barnes existed tbh.

Edited by The College Dropout

1 hour ago, Fezzle said:

They said January markets don’t offer value and are difficult to to do business and they won’t generally do business then but this is an exceptional situation so that may change. Also re your earlier posts about FFP since then we’ve had new deals with Sela, Adidas, Saudia, and Daka so that will improve the FFP situation.

9 minutes ago, SAK said:

They said January markets don’t offer value and are difficult to to do business and they won’t generally do business then but this is an exceptional situation so that may change. Also re your earlier posts about FFP since then we’ve had new deals with Sela, Adidas, Saudia, and Daka so that will improve the FFP situation.

Adidas deal is irrelevant to this season unless i missed us wearing their gear already mind.....

Just dont see us buying a Tonali replacement when hes back in 6 months, its wasting that extra money and then some.

Just loaning Phillips for example would probably mean £5m+ fee and the same again in wages, theres a sizable chunk of the cash from most those new deals spent already without thinking about actually buying someone

Edited by Fezzle

30 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No it's not.

Anderson is not a PL LW at the moment.

I'd have Neves or Phillips on loan no bother.

Edit: Forgot Barnes existed tbh.

That's why I said cover, as opposed to play.

Anderson will never get a better opportunity than now, if the two Joe's are still getting up to speed I expect he'll get some good minutes before January.

Also, I'd be wary of any Jan signing making immediate impact, especially those with spotty fitness records, due to Howe's "prep" seemingly taking some time to acclimate to.

The only way I can see us spending big money on a midfielder is if we always intended on doing that this window, I don’t see us going in a different direction because Tonali is out other than a loan or a cheap pick up.

Arguably we need a defensive midfielder to sit with Bruno against the better teams so maybe we kill two birds and make that move in January.

16 minutes ago, GEFAFWISP said:

Anderson will never get a better opportunity than now, if the two Joe's are still getting up to speed I expect he'll get some good minutes before January.

Also, I'd be wary of any Jan signing making immediate impact, especially those with spotty fitness records, due to Howe's "prep" seemingly taking some time to acclimate to.

I see Anderson as a good "system player" when we play the bottom half sides. Don't particularly see him as being great but to start some games we should still win when someone needs a break, he'd perfectly fine.