NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

5 minutes ago, Cronky said:

Some interesting issues being flagged up here. My two pence - 

Eddie has said he's not that keen on taking players on loan. The way he put it was you don't get a player's 'soul'. Okay, only half-serious, but I think I know what he meant. He wants to see commitment.

Has it not been suggested we're looking at Loan To Buy options? So it’s more of a case of try before we buy and a chance to kick any fees down the road until more commercial deals are in place

4 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

Has it not been suggested we're looking at Loan To Buy options? So it’s more of a case of try before we buy and a chance to kick any fees down the road until more commercial deals are in place

I wasn't able to read the original Telegraph article - only a synopsis. However, I think the big six will be even more reluctant to help us out in that way than they would with a loan.

1 hour ago, SUPERTOON said:

Fab again reporting Liverpool in for Lavia, if we are in for Thuram we may have a clear run.

Are Liverpool looking to buy an entire new midfield? Lavia, Thuram, Szobo and Mac Allister.....

I know they had some issues in that area, but are they just bombing their whole current midfielders out?

Loosely linked with Reece Nelson.  Albeit NUFC blog but allegedly came from an Arsenal source/journo.  He’s been offered a new deal but essentially a free agent at the minute 

2 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Loosely linked with Reece Nelson.  Albeit NUFC blog but allegedly came from an Arsenal source/journo.  He’s been offered a new deal but essentially a free agent at the minute 

Get Out Of Here GIF by Basketball Madness

I really think the LB and CB positions are critical as well.  Would dread an injury to either Botman or Schar. As for LB what’s the crack there? Just go with Burn again? Is Targett the man if not?

Edited by Andy84

12 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Yes, in a heartbeat. 

5 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

I really think the LB and CB positions are critical as well.  Would dread an injury to either Botman or Schar. As for LB what’s the crack there? Just go with Burn again? Is Targett the man if not?

I agree with all the champions league fixtures LB and a back up right CB really important for strength and depth. 1 or 2 key injuries in that area and we’re really struggling.

28 minutes ago, TRon said:

Are Liverpool looking to buy an entire new midfield? Lavia, Thuram, Szobo and Mac Allister.....

I know they had some issues in that area, but are they just bombing their whole current midfielders out?

Released Milner, Ox, and Keita over the summer. Thiago has one year left on his deal, and the club has indicated that his contract will not be renewed. There have been rumors that Barcelona is interested in Thiago. After Szobo and Mac Allister, I would be surprised if we were in for both Thuram and Lavia unless Thiago is definitely leaving. 

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Shit source, but it's a talking point on s slow news day.

I wonder if Southampton have a similar crap deal with Lavia whereby they need a fat fee to offset a sell on clause. 

6 minutes ago, Viana said:

I wonder if Southampton have a similar crap deal with Lavia whereby they need a fat fee to offset a sell on clause. 

Of course they do. 

I don’t think sell-on clauses should be allowed if selling to a team below you in the league or in a league below. 

It’s bad for the player and bad for the club that develops that player at that level. 

‘I can’t be bothered to clear a path for you to become a top player at my club. But I want half the spoils if you become a top player elsewhere’.  It’s bullshit.  And you shouldn’t be allowed both a buy-back and sell-on clause. It’s hedging bets on all angles. 

1 hour ago, Viana said:

The prices they are after it amazes me they are heading to the championship and not the champions league! 

2 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Of course they do. 

I don’t think sell-on clauses should be allowed if selling to a team below you in the league or in a league below. 

It’s bad for the player and bad for the club that develops that player at that level. 

‘I can’t be bothered to clear a path for you to become a top player at my club. But I want half the spoils if you become a top player elsewhere’.  It’s bullshit.  And you shouldn’t be allowed both a buy-back and sell-on clause. It’s hedging bets on all angles. 

There's a pretty fatal flaw in that system though. 

Say, for example, Everton sign Brennan Johnson. They couldn't include a sell on because Everton just finished below Forest. I can already see the lawyers lining up to argue it's anti-competition to remove clauses like this and limit teams' ability to generate revenue through player trading. You'd be better off saying that players under 23 see their sell on % decrease year on year they stay at the buying club. It wouldn't help Lavia, but it would help others.

7 hours ago, Toon88 said:

Bailing on Szoboszlai showcases the limitations we face. Remember, the club know we have very few saleable assets, and we still need three positions strengthened. No chance we blow £50m+ on Thuram. 

just goes to show that wolves can bag nearly £50m selling two defenders they don’t really want, yet we are releasing most of our dead wood on frees or paying them off. 

I’m not sure we bailed on him at all, we just didn’t think he was worth the release clause which is a fair view. The lad has also revealed Gerrard was his idol, he even has a tattoo of him, he would have picked them over us.

5 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Of course they do. 

Double edged sword - just means the big teams will hoard more of those players and more of them will be stuck on the "9 loans in 7 years" treadmill.  

Lavia would still be playing PL2 with other kids rather than getting to breakthrough at Southampton without a buy back or sell on clause.

So as of today do we have 2 players for every position and 3 keepers ? I've never worked it out but we seemed very light towards the end of last season.

24 minutes ago, Ben said:

So as of today do we have 2 players for every position and 3 keepers ? I've never worked it out but we seemed very light towards the end of last season.

If you count Lewis as a LB and Anderson as a CM we do.

Edited by The Prophet