NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, timeEd32 said:

I don't think it will happen but if we put £50m into Harvey Barnes then I'm going to assume we have no FFP problems and will be spending at least £200m this summer. It would make zero sense to me otherwise.

That would depend on how much we got for ASM. Can't see Barnes coming and ASM staying.

1 minute ago, Toon88 said:

Anywhere around the £50m is the going rate. Not sure why anyone should be surprised at them demanding that kind of fee, especially given PL inflation. I’d probably see what else is around Europe before committing to Barnes, but he’s a certain upgrade on ASM. 13 goals last season is an impressive haul. 

Yeah, that's what I'm getting it. It seems unnecessary. He'll be 26 midway through this season, so it's not like we're getting much younger from ASM. Surely there'd be better options at that price point.

3 minutes ago, madras said:

That would depend on how much we got for ASM. Can't see Barnes coming and ASM staying.

Just seems like a very strange swap to make. Selling ASM to fund a RW or LB makes a lot more sense to me.

Riddle me this:

What do Antoniee Robinson, Harvey Barnes and Tino Livramento all have in common?........

They all have a big mouth agent....

The same agent no less....

We are being used by the same agent, to advertise his players and get them some limelight. Next.

1 minute ago, SUPERTOON said:

Barnes doesn’t ? 

was going to say the same. feels like the perfect Howe player, and at this point I think he would be terrific! compare to the rest of our RW/LW he´s a goal and assist machine, me like :)

20 minutes ago, STM said:

Riddle me this:

What do Antoniee Robinson, Harvey Barnes and Tino Livramento all have in common?........

They all have a big mouth agent....

The same agent no less....

We are being used by the same agent, to advertise his players and get them some limelight. Next.

Top digging.

2 minutes ago, SUPERTOON said:

How come ? Genuine question as I think the opposite tbh I think he’s ideal for Howe.

I think he would suit us in terms of how direct he is. He loves a little give and go or to cut inside and have a dig.

He doesn't do much graft though and we know Howe loves that in a player. His all round game is also pretty unrefined, unless of course that's something we think we can coach into him.

I like him, I don't think there's many better goal scoring wingers around for where we're at. A left forward who isn't particularly good with the ball at his feet and doesn't put in a shift doesn't seem very us though.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

A club will have a finite amount of cash to spend per transfer market. Amortisation may be a useful accountancy practice from an FFP perspective, but clubs still need to take money from the pot to pay the fee, whether that's all of it or the first of a number of installments.

Szoboszlai has blown a £60 million pound hole in Liverpool's pocket, even if it appears as a £12 million a year on the balance sheet. Other clubs probably didn't want to commit to such a large up-front payment as it'd leave less cash to strengthen multiple positions.

1 hour ago, Toonjam88 said:

That’s not how FFP works man if it was then there is no point putting Chelsea’s new players in 8 year contracts. Say we sold Maxi for £40 million and there was still £5milluon left of his amortisation then we would immediately get £40 million on the balance sheet minus that years £5 million amortisation. When then buy a player for £60 million on a 6 year contract so £10million that year on FFP plus whatever that years wages is. 

These should both be the Income Statement which records revenue and costs within a year, rather than the balance sheet which records your current assets or liabilities.

E.g Szoboszlai is currently sitting on the BS as £60m, with £12m to be transferred/charged to the IS each year.

FFP regs focus on the IS.

:milner:

51 minutes ago, Toon88 said:

Anywhere around the £50m is the going rate. Not sure why anyone should be surprised at them demanding that kind of fee, especially given PL inflation. I’d probably see what else is around Europe before committing to Barnes, but he’s a certain upgrade on ASM. 13 goals last season is an impressive haul. 

We just passed on Maddison for £40m I very much doubt we will go for Barnes at £50m

It is worth watching this and seeing how similar Leicesters tactics were in the early days of Brendan Rodger’s compared to what Howe uses with us now, then see how Barnes was used at the time. 

They were one of the best pressing sides in the league.

Also interesting when you consider he had Ben Chilwell playing behind him and how he got forward.

16 minutes ago, Ash2579 said:

HB is no better than what we have!

Diaby is!

I’m not fussed. Barnes is proven in the PL though, and just banged 13 goals in a poor side. Doubt we pay £50m though.

Diaby is a ? Good at Leverkusen, but so was Havertz. Sancho had great stats at Dortmund, and then came here and flopped. It’s not like we’re paying £60m for Diaby and he’s a top French international. He’s basically on the fringes at that level. Still a risk, for me.

I think we will pass on both, and end up with a name we haven’t even been linked with yet. 

Edited by Toon88

28 minutes ago, Ash2579 said:

HB is no better than what we have!

Diaby is!

I'm still not sure on Diaby. Obviously he's rapid and strong off both feet which is a huge plus, but he's going to get no where near as much space in behind as he does in the Fraudesliga. He also has a habit of going missing when he doesn't fancy it.

He has a lot of talent and I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at him, but he looks a gamble at the prices quoted. It does sound like he's on our list of long term targets though.

1 hour ago, Toon88 said:

Last season Harvey Barnes had 0.40 non-penalty xG+xA per 90, ASM had 0.52. Grass is greener and that.