NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Nice one. Pain in the arse having to sign two goalkeepers in one window so it's good that we've at least replaced Karius with nee fuss.

Signed him at Bournemouth didn't he?

5 minutes ago, Menace said:

So why give Gillespie a new contract?

You need four keepers in the squad, ideally. 

4 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Nice one. Pain in the arse having to sign two goalkeepers in one window so it's good that we've at least replaced Karius with nee fuss.

Signed him at Bournemouth didn't he?

You need four keepers in the squad, ideally. 

You really don't though. We were in CL and Karius/Gillespie barely got a sniff. Seems a very odd signing considering Gillespie renewed but cest la vie

Just now, Menace said:

You really don't though. We were in CL and Karius/Gillespie barely got a sniff. Seems a very odd signing considering Gillespie renewed but cest la vie

You need four real keepers at the training ground in an ideal world. Obviously Gillespie isn't there to play, he's basically there to have shots slapped at him all day long at Benton. Tom Heaton is with the England squad for this reason. 

100% you need 4 keepers in the training group.

If you doing any kind of match with keepers, that's 2 being used up already, then what let 1 guy just train with the coaches? The Gk that plays on match days doesn't tend to go in for shooting drills for a few days after a match day and they like to rotate 3 in those situations.

It's a good move for me

Just now, Unbelievable said:

Howe sure loves to bring in players he's managed before doesn't he..?

Yes... But that hasn't really let us down so far so I haven't really got any complaints about it. I think he has a black book in his mind of people he's known who he thinks offer more than whatever their current value is 

1 minute ago, Jack27 said:

And it's not like we have any GKs coming through the academy that are showing any sort of promise

Supposedly we do actually. But I'm under the impression they're way too young to play i.e. aged 16 or less. Hopefully we're looking at having first teamers who will actively engage with such kids and support their development though.

Just now, 80 said:
4 minutes ago, Jack27 said:

And it's not like we have any GKs coming through the academy that are showing any sort of promise

Supposedly we do actually. But I'm under the impression they're way too young to play i.e. aged 16 or less. Hopefully we're looking at having first teamers who will actively engage with such kids and support their development though.

Yeah; obviously I'm no coach but the job of fourth choice goalkeeper - aka a target practice dummy - is no role for an academy goalie. 

3 minutes ago, 80 said:

That's good then

I was primarily going off my FM24 save when all the academy goalkeepers you start with are turd

21 minutes ago, Menace said:

How many games did Karius play? You wanted us to have no keeper on the bench when he did? 

2 minutes ago, LFEE said:

A year on… anyone still thinking we missed out on Szlob? 

Cant say I’ve been very impressed with him when watching him for Liverpool and Hungary.

Still think he'd have been am excellent fit for us. He always looks better playing off the right though.