NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

Very poorly managed by the club. Selling promising young players, unsettling key performers, all to buy squad players and ones we hadn't done our homework on.

I'm going to lay the blame at Ashworth, and why the club just weren't arsed he was leaving. I always said Tonali was his issue, and the rest may as well be flung his way as well. 

One thing is for sure, this cannot happen again.we either fuck off the rules and bend them beyond like Chelsea, or we stay well compliant and don't overstretch. We can't do what we did in 23, and sit in the middle hoping one of our best goes.

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Very poorly managed by the club. Selling promising young players, unsettling key performers, all to buy squad players and ones we hadn't done our homework on.

I'm going to lay the blame at Ashworth, and why the club just weren't arsed he was leaving. I always said Tonali was his issue, and the rest may as well be flung his way as well. 

One thing is for sure, this cannot happen again.we either fuck off the rules and bend them beyond like Chelsea, or we stay well compliant and don't overstretch. We can't do what we did in 23, and sit in the middle hoping one of our best goes.

Dokko man, what should they have done?

16 minutes ago, Dokko said:

The thing is, with the latter option of not overstretching, in real terms, that would probably translate to not signing 2-3 of our key players.

Edited by Thumbheed

40 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Piece up about the last few days in the athletic. 

Hide contents

A fortnight ago, there were fears inside the club that a double-digit points deduction was possible given the scale of their deficit

Premier League clubs speculated that Newcastle’s black hole was anywhere between £30m and £100m and, by Saturday morning, Newcastle still needed to recoup in excess of £50m

Whether Newcastle have satisfied PSR remains unclear given the opaque nature of the system, although some insiders believe they have done enough to avoid a points deduction, even if the calculation is believed to be tight

Minteh was seen as part of the solution for weeks, but Lyon’s £40m offer led to Newcastle holding out for that valuation, despite the player being reluctant to move and the club aggressively attempting to convince him to

Rival clubs tried to capitalise on perceived vulnerability, with Chelseamaking enquiries about Isak, though Newcastle explored every alternative avenue to keep the striker

Conversations with Liverpool over Gordon came out of desperation, despite Newcastle wanting to retain the winger, but there are lingering fears internally that his head may have been turned

Newcastle did explore the Saudi Pro League avenue but could not conclude any deals

Several transfer meetings were held across the week, including a final one on Sunday afternoon, when a third sale was contemplated, with Kieran Trippier’s name floated just hours before he started for England against Slovakia at Euro 2024

Miguel Almiron, Sean Longstaff and Callum Wilson are other players believed to have been floated as possible exits

Newcastle had reluctantly identified Anderson as a candidate for sale in January given he generates “pure profit” as an academy graduate, but he was injured

Everton’s Dominic Calvert-Lewin, Liverpool’s Jarell Quansah, Forest’s Anthony Elanga and Wolverhampton Wanderers’ Max Kilman were among the players Newcastle discussed signing as part of potential deals

Newcastle actually now have decent capacity to spend given 2021-22’s accounts have dropped off the PSR cycle and income from their Adidas deal can be booked

What a fuck up. The Gordon bit is worrying. 

Just now, 500bhp said:

What a fuck up. The Gordon bit is worrying. 

Yes and no. Unfortunately the rules leave us fucked as myself and others have been saying for awhile. 

We can’t spend at the rates we do now without either selling players or increasing revenues. We can’t increase our revenues as owner investment is significantly limited by various rules. If the rules aren’t going to change then our best chance is player trading extensively but that in itself is very difficult to do. 

8 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

Not bought Tonali and Barnes. There was absolutely no need for Barnes, and Tonali was an all eggs in one basket vanity signing, which backfired spectacularly. If the club had done it's homework properly, they'd have known about his habit and gone nowhere near him. I'm still not certain if him, Bruno & Joelinton will work together, it get like Howe was given him to work with rather than asked for him. 

Like I said in the Ashworth thread, I'll put all the blame on him, and we move on, but let's not sugar coat it, the club have fucked up big time and have escaped by a hairs width and lucked out on minteh. And like I said in the Bruno thread, they are probably shocked he's still here (maybe the idea was sell Bruno at 115m and Tonali was the ready made replacement)

Lessons learned, eh? 

15 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

I've never seen him post anything positive since I've been here. :lol:

Was regularly betting on us losing when we went through a shit spell as well - joker.

Just now, Dokko said:

Not bought Tonali and Barnes. There was absolutely no need for Barnes, and Tonali was an all eggs in one basket vanity signing, which backfired spectacularly. If the club had done it's homework properly, they'd have known about his habit and gone nowhere near him. I'm still not certain if him, Bruno & Joelinton will work together, it get like Howe was given him to work with rather than asked for him. 

Like I said in the Ashworth thread, I'll put all the blame on him, and we move on, but let's not sugar coat it, the club have fucked up big time and have escaped by a hairs width and lucked out on minteh. And like I said in the Bruno thread, they are probably shocked he's still here (maybe the idea was sell Bruno at 115m and Tonali was the ready made replacement)

Lessons learned, eh? 

That wouldn’t have been enough to stop this. 

and please, it wasn’t possible for us to know about his habit, he was doing illegal gambling via his phone no way for us to know that. Howe also said Tonali was his number 1 dream signing. 

Please understand the rules we are operating under, we need investment and it’s prohibited we’ve performed miracles yesterday and the cost to us at this stage is very little. 

Anyway, expecting us to open the floodgates (somewhat) with that injection of funds from the Anderson, Minteh sales and Ashworth compensation. The real transfer window starts now and we should at a minimum bring in a class right winger/ forward, then reasonable options at ST and DC. Paramount that we get this window right.

I think the issue is the board genuinely expected Bruno to leave for 100m, and thought this would be the solution for the PSR black hole.

So when there is no offer for Bruno - crisis mode officially began.

16 minutes ago, r0cafella said:

That wouldn’t have been enough to stop this. 

and please, it wasn’t possible for us to know about his habit, he was doing illegal gambling via his phone no way for us to know that. Howe also said Tonali was his number 1 dream signing. 

Please understand the rules we are operating under, we need investment and it’s prohibited we’ve performed miracles yesterday and the cost to us at this stage is very little. 

That’s why Dokko said we cannot do this again next season. Miracles won’t happen twice. We could have lost Gordon or Isak.

It seems very unlike 'us' under our new owners to leave ourselves so vulnerable to PSR punishment. Were they expecting an influx of revenue from somewhere that failed to materialise? Could the new restrictions on sponsorship deals have left us with a big financial hole to fill?

Either way, to leave it until the very last minute to sort it out is incredibly risky. It's the kind of thing you'd expect under Ashley, not Amanda and co.

Obviously we don't know the exact numbers and how severe it was but this game of show hand and the high stakes right til the last moments is not good for my heart. :lol:

Should give us plenty of breathing space now though.

I get the concerns about how we've managed this, especially the Gordon element.

But on the other hand we did desperately need to spend money and we had a legacy of dire commercial income to back it up. I can understand the thinking 'we'll spend a bit now and make it work in the future'.

If not for injuries/ban we could have easily been looking at two consecutive Champions League finishes, which is a borderline miracle based on where we started. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

New financial year. A year where we had a hefty net spend and low income compared to now drops off the books.

Should have some money for at least one really good signing. Tbh a really good RW and replacements for any players like Wilson sold and I'd probably be happy with the window. We have 2 players for every position.

Cracking young CB would be nice as well.

Would like to avoid more PSR nightmares though, and feel like there's value to be had if we have some financial leeway at the end of June, so wouldn't be against a relatively quiet window.

The fact we were after Olise and Mamardashvilli suggests we’re going to go big with some signings. The sad thing about football currently is that we can’t even enjoy bringing in amazing players for fear of how we balance our books every year