NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

We have to get a new CB. We can’t go half the season with essentially just Schar, Burn and Kelly as out and out CB’s. If any of them gets injured then we’re left with two CB’s (and Krafth to fill in). 

Schar will be 33 this year. Burn is 32. Kelly has previous injury woes. It’d be incredibly naive not to get more CB’s in.

Would rather we expend the entire budget on 1 CB upgrade and a RW upgrade then spread it over a bunch

1 minute ago, Upthemags said:

Would rather we expend the entire budget on 1 CB upgrade and a RW upgrade then spread it over a bunch

Me too, quality over quantity. My preference atm is Diomande but it may change as new names emerge. By all accounts the club are intending to buy a new CB this summer. We’ll see who they choose. 

30 minutes ago, Joelinton7 said:

We have to get a new CB. We can’t go half the season with essentially just Schar, Burn and Kelly as out and out CB’s. If any of them gets injured then we’re left with two CB’s (and Krafth to fill in). 

Schar will be 33 this year. Burn is 32. Kelly has previous injury woes. It’d be incredibly naive not to get more CB’s in.

Agreed 

45 minutes ago, Rich said:

I'd be amazed if we didn't. Expect we'll spend some serious coin on one, too.

Without a major sponsorship boost, can we even afford it? I'd be surprised if we spend more than £60-70 following the Hall signing, meaning £100m in total. Otherwise we risk another PSR crisis.

I think we will spend over £100m personally but of course could be very wrong. Big losses from 2021/22 have gone off the books and we have much higher revenues with Sela/Adidas etc. Not to mention the prospect of getting some decent money for any of Wilson, Almiron and Trippier if we can sell them to Saudi.

10 minutes ago, Rich said:

We spent ~£130M last summer from a worse FFP/PSR position than we're now in.

We’ve just panic-sold around £70m worth of players in the same season.  So the net spend last year was more like £30m.  The loss from 22/23 is still on the books. 

11 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

We’ve just panic-sold around £70m worth of players in the same season.  So the net spend last year was more like £30m.  The loss from 22/23 is still on the books. 

I may be oversimplifying here, but...

We started last summer knowing we needed to turn a significant profit (~£35M?) for FFP/PSR this season and spent ~£130M.

We're starting this summer knowing we can afford a ~£70M FFP/PSR loss this season and people think we'll spend significantly less?

15 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The Hall signing 28 mil is amortised over the length of contract so poss only 6 mil ish per year if a 5 year deal, is that right?

That is correct, but the main problem now is (and the thing that makes it the hardest to judge how much we might spend) that we have a lot of expensive players who are being amortised this year. Bruno, Isak, Gordon, Tonali, Botman and Tino will all have another year of their respective transfer fees amortised in this year. You would imagine that would be at least £50m of transfer fees going through the books for them alone. 

1 minute ago, Rich said:

I may be oversimplifying here, but...

We started last summer knowing we needed to turn a significant profit (~£35M?) for FFP/PSR this season and spent ~£130M.

We're starting this summer knowing we can afford a ~£70M FFP/PSR loss this season and people think we'll spend significantly less?

What I’m saying is that we didn’t spend £130m net - we spent more like £30m net.  I think we’ll spend more, but it won’t be over £130m without more sales.   At the moment we’re at £300m amortisation and wages - and we’ve not got European football this season.  Back of a fag packet, our net spend won’t be anything near nine-figures. 

Assuming none of the big three players leave, I imagine we’ll shift a few more (Miggy, Wilson, Trippier, Fraser, Lewis, Hayden). 

If those 6 combined bring in c£50m then I can honestly see us spending north of £200m on 4 or 5 players.

Just got a gut feeling that this summer will be transformative. 

9 minutes ago, TheBrownBottle said:

What I’m saying is that we didn’t spend £130m net - we spent more like £30m net.  I think we’ll spend more, but it won’t be over £130m without more sales.   At the moment we’re at £300m amortisation and wages - and we’ve not got European football this season.  Back of a fag packet, our net spend won’t be anything near nine-figures. 

I disagree, I think (and hope) it'll be over nine figures including Hall. The good thing with this is that unlike so many other debates we'll have an answer. Not until this time next year like :lol:.

4 minutes ago, NSG said:

Assuming none of the big three players leave, I imagine we’ll shift a few more (Miggy, Wilson, Trippier, Fraser, Lewis, Hayden). 

If those 6 combined bring in c£50m then I can honestly see us spending north of £200m on 4 or 5 players.

Just got a gut feeling that this summer will be transformative. 

We’d have to pay teams to take Lewis and Hayden - and I don’t mean figuratively; we’d have to pay a hefty chunk of their wages.  Fraser would be a free transfer.

It’ll be interesting to see what we’d get for Almirón from KSA if he goes there.

Either way the numbers don’t stretch to anything like £200m

34 minutes ago, dilligaf said:

The Hall signing 28 mil is amortised over the length of contract so poss only 6 mil ish per year if a 5 year deal, is that right?

I read £4m loan fee, £24m to make the deal permanent.

Shouldn’t be much difference between the loan fee recognised last year and the annual amortisation cost recognised moving forward.

My prediction is we'll try to spend big (40 - 60million) on a top quality RW and possibly on a CB as well, or maybe spend reasonably on a slightly less established young CB, like that dutch spanish Juventus lad at Roma. Maybe 20-40 million range on a CB.

I reckon we'll have budget for that, hell the club had a go at Olise. I don't think we need to do much more without Europe - we'd basically have 2 players for every position and that's probably enough. Obviously if, say, Wilson goes then he'd be replaced.

Then maybe try and pick up a couple of cheap young talents Minteh stylee and trim the fat from the squad if possible (Dubs, Almiron, Hayden, Lewis, Targett, Fraser etc.). If we got a couple of gooduns in at RW and CB, a prospect or two, didn't lose any of our stars, and got a few of the 3rd stringers who aren't going to play off the books it would be a pretty good window.