NUFC Transfer Rumours

Optimistic Nut

2 hours ago, TRon said:

I always felt that was a convenient excuse used to deflect the blame from some of the players who had got us firing in the first half of the season. Players like Ferdinand and Rob Lee just stopped scoring, and felt to me that in some of the big games on the run in we froze. If anything Tino was one of those who didn't seem affected by nerves, his goal to put us in the lead in the 4-3 Anfield classic a prime exampe. You can't really blame the chaos at the back on him.

Fully agree.

Tino and Batty were two of our better players the back end of that season. Everybody else bar Albert were off the boil (I'd add Ginola to Ferdinand and Lee as particular cases).

Tino's goals and assist record in that spell was very good whilst Batty was arguably our best player, many, myself included believe that to be the case. Won his England place back, PL teams of the year, player of the month several times for us in that team on the strength of his performances.

The gap after Batty's debut which we dominated and should have won and he was excellent in was 3points. He was the last person responsible for the gap having closed.

Edited by Jonas

3 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Fully agree.

Tino and Batty were two of our better players the back end of that season. Everybody else was bar Albert were off the boil (I'd add Ginola to Ferdinand and Lee as particular cases).

Tino's goals and assist record in that spell was very good whilst Batty was arguably our best player, many, myself included believe that to be the case. Won his England place back, PL teams of the year, player of the month several times for us in that team on the strength of his performances.

That's how I remember it. Beardsley and Lee suffered drops in form as well. Lee always seemed started seasons on fire then drift away. 

Edit Throw in Man Utd had an end to the season like our start.

Edited by madras

2 minutes ago, Jonas said:

Fully agree.

Tino and Batty were two of our better players the back end of that season. Everybody else bar Albert were off the boil (I'd add Ginola to Ferdinand and Lee as particular cases).

From what I remember we had shown some signs of stalling with a couple of iffy results, and the goals had dried up a bit. Batty and Tino were brought in to add some winner experience as a lot of our players had never really achieved that much prior to that season. Better teams than us have suffered from imposter syndrome in such a situation. We were absolutely mauled at Old Trafford and I think that was when Keegan made the decision to bring in some character for what he knew would be a high pressure run in.

27 minutes ago, madras said:

That's how I remember it. Beardsley and Lee suffered drops in form as well. Lee always seemed started seasons on fire then drift away. 

Edit Throw in Man Utd had an end to the season like our start.

Seemed to be Cantona 1-0, Schmeichel on fire every other week for about 2 months. 

Quick look, 5 1-0s with Cantona scoring the goal after New Year, plus two other 1-0ers. They ground it out.

Edited by Optimistic Nut

14 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

Seemed to be Cantona 1-0, Schmeichel on fire every other week for about 2 months. 

Quick look, 5 1-0s with Cantona scoring the goal after New Year, plus two other 1-0ers. They ground it out.

Yep the press always go on about Fergie's free flowing never say die Man United but that season they ground the fight out of more than just us!

My memory may play tricks on me as I'm still bitter but I believe a lot of those 1 nils came with a late winner after Schmeichel heroics similar to how they nicked the win at SJP

Lads and lasses, as our depressing trip down PTSD memory lane comes to a close, I'll leave you with some words which I think sums up the last few pages perfectly, I hereby present to you the lyrics of Mr Bruce Frederick Joseph Springsteen

I hope when I get old I don't sit around thinking about it
But I probably will
Yeah, just sitting back, trying to recapture
A little of the glory, yeah
Well time slips away and leaves you with nothing, mister
But boring stories of Glory days,

Yeah they'll pass you by, Glory days, in the wink of a young girl's eye

Edited by bobbydazzla

2 hours ago, TRon said:

From what I remember we had shown some signs of stalling with a couple of iffy results, and the goals had dried up a bit. Batty and Tino were brought in to add some winner experience as a lot of our players had never really achieved that much prior to that season. Better teams than us have suffered from imposter syndrome in such a situation. We were absolutely mauled at Old Trafford and I think that was when Keegan made the decision to bring in some character for what he knew would be a high pressure run in.

Heresy incoming. I think Keegan got found out. There were next to no tactics. Go and score more than them seemed to be the philosophy and when that stopped working he didn’t have any ability to think differently and he also transmitted his panic to the players. The way he responded after the Fenton winner said it all.  You need the leader to be calm in those situations not getting all agitated. 

Just now, STM said:

Willock should be back right?

Probably. But i wouldn’t plan on relying on him. I think we need a new CM. I said this before Anderson and Miley. We need more quality there, and not just 3 of them. Vital area for a team overall for everything to function imo. 

Just now, Ikon said:

Probably. But i wouldn’t plan on relying on him. I think we need a new CM. I said this before Anderson and Miley. We need more quality there, and not just 3 of them. Vital area for a team overall for everything to function imo. 

I'm leaning towards agreeing but I still wouldn't have it as a priority over RW, CB, ST.

Late on in the window, I'd be having a sniff at a CM.

1 minute ago, Ikon said:

If Willock cant stay fit the workload will be huge on the others. We are playing with three so we need everyone.

1 minute ago, nufc123 said:

If Willock cant stay fit the workload will be huge on the others. We are playing with three so we need everyone.

Worth baring in mind that we have waaaaay less fixtures.

2 minutes ago, nufc123 said:

A crocked Willock, a teenager and Longstaff. I dont like it.

Willock was held out for precautionary reasons (he could have played to end the season). So was Miley initially, but he appears to have contracted the injury bug running through the squad.