Tino Livramento

Yorkie

6 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Lee Ryder should give everyone confidence that you can succeed in life despite having zero talent, ability or even basic competency 

Succeed? Ryder? [emoji38]

Edited by Sean

Played like a seasoned pro, not a 20 year old that’s just missed basically a whole season of football. Doku will go on to rinse the best right backs in the world, such a quick turn and acceleration on him but he was handled well. 

50 minutes ago, Sean said:

Succeed? Ryder? [emoji38]

He’s getting paid (alright, dunno how much, but it’ll be reasonable enough) to go and watch every single Newcastle match. He’ll be getting his travel and accommodation paid for every CL trip.

He’s cracked it IMO.

2 hours ago, Sean said:

[emoji38] probably moves that day forward with performances like last night

;D

Nah man, if Trippier can get a rest more often, think it could actually extend his career. 

Shouldn't feel like we need to play him as much as we have done previously, and so he should be much fresher going forward.

26 minutes ago, KaKa said:

;D

Nah man, if Trippier can get a rest more often, think it could actually extend his career. 

Shouldn't feel like we need to play him as much as we have done previously, and so he should be much fresher going forward.

It was only said in jest

1 hour ago, Lish007 said:

How can we read if not subscribed? Have tried the archive thing and not working for me... 

Add a full stop after .com

So it looks like "theathletic.com./xxxxxxx"

Edited by mikejaxer

‘Tino, Tino’ Livramento: A glimpse of Newcastle’s future, an echo of their past

Newcastle United saw a glimpse of the future and heard a song from their past.

Not for the first time, “Tino, Tino!” echoed around St James’ Park; different players, different eras, different positions, but the same sense of wonder and endless possibility.

“I know about (Faus)Tino Asprilla and what he did here,” (Valen)Tino Livramento said. “It gave me goosebumps hearing the fans chant my name like that. It made me feel extremely proud.”

Eddie Howe’s team plough on, still in the thick of four competitions, and after wins over Brentford and Sheffield United in the Premier League, a resilient Champions League goalless draw at AC Milan and Wednesday’s 1-0 victory over Manchester City in the Carabao Cup, momentum is their ally once again. The head coach has used his squad, mixing experience with youth, jumbling the excitement of now with the promise of what lies ahead.

Newcastle do not have the depth of Pep Guardiola’s City, but there is alchemy in the way Howe has encouraged buy-in from all corners of his dressing room. The tone of this latest victory may have shifted at half-time, when Anthony Gordon and Bruno Guimaraes came on and brought hellfire with them, but prominent among its architects were Livramento and Paul Dummett, two defenders at opposite ends of their careers.

Much has changed since the last time Newcastle faced, and beat, City in the League Cup, but Dummett also played that night at the Etihad Stadium in October 2014 (when Livramento was 11). Here he was again, throwing himself into everything, his now 32-year-old legs cramping as he did so, as eager and committed as he ever was. At right-back, Livramento was astonishingly composed, smothering Jack Grealish, tackling, breaking up play and passing smoothly.

The things that connect them?

Well, Dummett had not played since Tranmere Rovers away, also in this competition, in August 2022, but has been kept around by Howe, and given a new contract, because of his “commitment to Newcastle, the professionalism that he shows, his standards”. And for Livramento, this was his first senior 90 minutes since April 2022, the month he suffered an anterior cruciate ligament knee injury playing for Southampton.

The other link is more basic but it is the essence of Newcastle’s way, Howe’s way. “Before I joined, I looked at the squad from the outside and could see all the quality here, but it’s only when you become part of it and see it from the inside that you understand how much of a family it is,” Livramento said. “For me, it’s just a pleasure to go into training every day, to be with the team.”

He returned some of that pleasure against City; the St James’ Park crowd purred, then roared at his performance.

“It was amazing,” the 20-year-old said. “They’re definitely the best fans in the Premier League and it was a total pleasure to play in front of them. I enjoyed it. We knew how tough it was going to be defensively against City and so I focused on that part of my game. I put in a few tackles, made a few interceptions and tried to help the team as best as possible.”

As can be seen from his touch map, the majority of Livramento’s action came in his own half but he still managed to get forward and support Newcastle’s attack.

In those vivid moments, you could understand precisely why Newcastle spent £40million ($48.8m at current rates) on Livramento this summer — a player touted as England’s long-term right-back. And then you remembered anew that standing ahead of him, for club and country, is Kieran Trippier, Newcastle’s regular on-field captain, their heartbeat and the Premier League’s most effective player at their position. Melding those two concepts takes some mental gymnastics.

Signed on a five-year contract, Livramento is content to wait, watch Trippier, who turned 33 this month, and soak up knowledge.

“I’m working under a new manager for a new team and getting used to a new style of play, and I always knew it was going to take a little while for me to learn all about that and to gain his trust,” he said. “I know the position I’m in. I’ve got a fantastic player in front of me and the key is to be consistently training well and performing well when I’m given the opportunity. I want to help the team however I can.

“I’m still a young player and I’m desperate to learn from Tripps. He’s such an experienced player and before the City game he was offering me advice, telling me a few things about the players I was coming up against — he’s faced them a few times — and that definitely helped.

“Even from the sidelines when he was warming up, he was giving me encouragement, shouting things at me. ‘Get tighter, get tighter, show him down the line’, things like that. It was just little things, keeping me switched on. It’s a pleasure to share a changing room with him, to learn from him. And I’m looking to support him too, either when he’s injured or needs a rest and then take my opportunity when it comes around.”

GO DEEPER

Newcastle's player of the season: Kieran Trippier, leader of The Indivisibles

He grasped it last night up against Grealish. “An unbelievable player,” Howe said, “and Tino defended really, really well against him — one versus one a lot of the time. He was really aggressive and front-foot, but he dealt with him really well. The main strength of his game historically has been his attacking intent and his ability to run with the ball, and we saw flashes of that in the second half, but I thought it was a really good debut for him.

“Behind the scenes, he’s been very, very good. I don’t think you can come in and give that performance if you’re not training well and applying yourself to your work.

“He’s understood his position. He’s come back from a long injury (out over a year before coming off the bench after 77 minutes of Southampton’s final two matches of last season), so you have to take that into account. This period for him where he’s learning how the team plays is a really good moment for you if you look at it that way. Then when you get your chance you have to take it. He’s done that.”

Among Howe’s 10 changes from the weekend were three full debutants in Livramento, Lewis Hall and Lewis Miley. For the two teenagers, who made way for Gordon and Guimaraes at the break, the occasion was less exuberant but just as valuable. “They’ll both be top players for us, I have no doubt about that,” Howe said. “And sometimes with a difficult experience, you can grow a lot from that. I think it’ll be a really good thing in a couple of years what happened today.”

The big idea is that Livramento and 18-year-old Hall will develop into Newcastle’s first-choice full-backs, the club acting now to nail down those positions for years to come.

Whether that strategy pays off in the short term cannot be known. In the meantime, there will be a lot of studying Trippier and Dan Burn, a lot of work and a lot of games to be shared around. But the future shimmered brightly the other night and “Tino, Tino!” rumbled down from the stands.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

‘Tino, Tino’ Livramento: A glimpse of Newcastle’s future, an echo of their past

Newcastle United saw a glimpse of the future and heard a song from their past.

Not for the first time, “Tino, Tino!” echoed around St James’ Park; different players, different eras, different positions, but the same sense of wonder and endless possibility.

“I know about (Faus)Tino Asprilla and what he did here,” (Valen)Tino Livramento said. “It gave me goosebumps hearing the fans chant my name like that. It made me feel extremely proud.”

Eddie Howe’s team plough on, still in the thick of four competitions, and after wins over Brentford and Sheffield United in the Premier League, a resilient Champions League goalless draw at AC Milan and Wednesday’s 1-0 victory over Manchester City in the Carabao Cup, momentum is their ally once again. The head coach has used his squad, mixing experience with youth, jumbling the excitement of now with the promise of what lies ahead.

Newcastle do not have the depth of Pep Guardiola’s City, but there is alchemy in the way Howe has encouraged buy-in from all corners of his dressing room. The tone of this latest victory may have shifted at half-time, when Anthony Gordon and Bruno Guimaraes came on and brought hellfire with them, but prominent among its architects were Livramento and Paul Dummett, two defenders at opposite ends of their careers.

Much has changed since the last time Newcastle faced, and beat, City in the League Cup, but Dummett also played that night at the Etihad Stadium in October 2014 (when Livramento was 11). Here he was again, throwing himself into everything, his now 32-year-old legs cramping as he did so, as eager and committed as he ever was. At right-back, Livramento was astonishingly composed, smothering Jack Grealish, tackling, breaking up play and passing smoothly.

The things that connect them?

Well, Dummett had not played since Tranmere Rovers away, also in this competition, in August 2022, but has been kept around by Howe, and given a new contract, because of his “commitment to Newcastle, the professionalism that he shows, his standards”. And for Livramento, this was his first senior 90 minutes since April 2022, the month he suffered an anterior cruciate ligament knee injury playing for Southampton.

The other link is more basic but it is the essence of Newcastle’s way, Howe’s way. “Before I joined, I looked at the squad from the outside and could see all the quality here, but it’s only when you become part of it and see it from the inside that you understand how much of a family it is,” Livramento said. “For me, it’s just a pleasure to go into training every day, to be with the team.”

He returned some of that pleasure against City; the St James’ Park crowd purred, then roared at his performance.

“It was amazing,” the 20-year-old said. “They’re definitely the best fans in the Premier League and it was a total pleasure to play in front of them. I enjoyed it. We knew how tough it was going to be defensively against City and so I focused on that part of my game. I put in a few tackles, made a few interceptions and tried to help the team as best as possible.”

As can be seen from his touch map, the majority of Livramento’s action came in his own half but he still managed to get forward and support Newcastle’s attack.

In those vivid moments, you could understand precisely why Newcastle spent £40million ($48.8m at current rates) on Livramento this summer — a player touted as England’s long-term right-back. And then you remembered anew that standing ahead of him, for club and country, is Kieran Trippier, Newcastle’s regular on-field captain, their heartbeat and the Premier League’s most effective player at their position. Melding those two concepts takes some mental gymnastics.

Signed on a five-year contract, Livramento is content to wait, watch Trippier, who turned 33 this month, and soak up knowledge.

“I’m working under a new manager for a new team and getting used to a new style of play, and I always knew it was going to take a little while for me to learn all about that and to gain his trust,” he said. “I know the position I’m in. I’ve got a fantastic player in front of me and the key is to be consistently training well and performing well when I’m given the opportunity. I want to help the team however I can.

“I’m still a young player and I’m desperate to learn from Tripps. He’s such an experienced player and before the City game he was offering me advice, telling me a few things about the players I was coming up against — he’s faced them a few times — and that definitely helped.

“Even from the sidelines when he was warming up, he was giving me encouragement, shouting things at me. ‘Get tighter, get tighter, show him down the line’, things like that. It was just little things, keeping me switched on. It’s a pleasure to share a changing room with him, to learn from him. And I’m looking to support him too, either when he’s injured or needs a rest and then take my opportunity when it comes around.”

GO DEEPER

Newcastle's player of the season: Kieran Trippier, leader of The Indivisibles

He grasped it last night up against Grealish. “An unbelievable player,” Howe said, “and Tino defended really, really well against him — one versus one a lot of the time. He was really aggressive and front-foot, but he dealt with him really well. The main strength of his game historically has been his attacking intent and his ability to run with the ball, and we saw flashes of that in the second half, but I thought it was a really good debut for him.

“Behind the scenes, he’s been very, very good. I don’t think you can come in and give that performance if you’re not training well and applying yourself to your work.

“He’s understood his position. He’s come back from a long injury (out over a year before coming off the bench after 77 minutes of Southampton’s final two matches of last season), so you have to take that into account. This period for him where he’s learning how the team plays is a really good moment for you if you look at it that way. Then when you get your chance you have to take it. He’s done that.”

Among Howe’s 10 changes from the weekend were three full debutants in Livramento, Lewis Hall and Lewis Miley. For the two teenagers, who made way for Gordon and Guimaraes at the break, the occasion was less exuberant but just as valuable. “They’ll both be top players for us, I have no doubt about that,” Howe said. “And sometimes with a difficult experience, you can grow a lot from that. I think it’ll be a really good thing in a couple of years what happened today.”

The big idea is that Livramento and 18-year-old Hall will develop into Newcastle’s first-choice full-backs, the club acting now to nail down those positions for years to come.

Whether that strategy pays off in the short term cannot be known. In the meantime, there will be a lot of studying Trippier and Dan Burn, a lot of work and a lot of games to be shared around. But the future shimmered brightly the other night and “Tino, Tino!” rumbled down from the stands.

Cheers. Best thing you've done on this forum for years. Maybe ever.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

This is a semi-interesting fluff piece IMO.

Once every 3 months or so they'll do a big article with quotes from "insiders" which is super interesting. To me anyway.

Caulkin is a master at hitting his word count :lol:

was an enjoyable read none the less, it’s great to have players on the fringes who actually generate excitement. 

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Imagine giving someone sass after they've done you a small favour.

Aye, was uncalled for. It’s fine for people to not like your posting style or even what you say but personally I’d prefer people to disagree with your posts and explain why rather than take cheap shots. 

I was thinking about it after and it was noticeable how often Livramento dealt with his winger 1 v 1, without any real help from anyone .

That sort of brings up the issue me and, incidentally TCD have had with Burn. I completely recognise all the good Burn brings. Great defensive headers, very physical, absolute monster mentality, but rarely can handle any 1 v 1 situations. Nearly always needs a teammate to help him push the wide player either in or out so Burn just needs to focus on one direction of acceleration if he needs to. I see it’s not his fault, he’s so tall he just doesn’t get off the mark well and his hips are fairly stiff, doesn’t switch lines well when running. So, I guess what makes him good at one thing does undermine him in the other.

Seeing a FB completely lockdown Grealish and, apart from once, Doku. 
The difference does become quite stark.

We’ll see what happens with Targett and how well Hall develops. Until then, you’d have to say Burn has earned his spot as his competition isn’t beating him out of a place.

Burn will never be a fullback, I don't care what anyone says :lol:

He copes with the position, that's all. And he has a great unit around him. 

That said, a lot of genuine FBs also get skinned quite regular or caught up field, it's a very difficult position. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

34 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

That said, a lot of genuine FBs also get skinned quite regular or caught up field, it's a very difficult position. 

Aye there are always trade-offs. He's in the similar mould of fullback as White, Ake, Akanji, Gvardiol or Ivanovic as a throwback. But these would all likely start at CB for us based on ability alone. I'd love for us to have a LB in that profile of that level.

White was super fragile 1v1 at fullback at first, but he's learnt the role and 1v1 defending. As @Lotus says - Burn's body mechanics and time spent as a LB and age probably means he's unlikely to get significantly better 1v1. For a defensive fullback, you would hope for being better 1v1. A prime Paul Dummett had trouble on the turn, but he could hold his own 1v1. He was worse on the ball than Burn, though and not as good at the other aspects of defending tbf.

A younger Trippier was often criticised for his defending. Positionally and 1v1. He's been super solid at both for us in the main. And the upside with him is more obvious. Burn's upside is there.. but it's not as high or as obvious.

Edited by The College Dropout

He's fucking awesome. He will be even better than Trippier skills wise I think. With Tripps, we excel also due to his leadership qualities which cannot be understated on the pitch. But this guy looks smoking! It's nice to know that Trippier can now have a rest/be injured and we aren't going to panic. 

Edited by Lish007

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Ban this filth.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

You say that but he has pretty consistently looked better at LB than CB. Both here and at Brighton. His rise up to PL performer has come playing on the left side (even as a wing back) not as a CB.

He looked all over the place in the middle the other week.

Edited by ponsaelius