Tino Livramento

Yorkie

Just seen he's made 54 appearances for us, honestly if someone told me he'd only made like 10 I wouldn't have argued [emoji38] think my mind is blurring the old days out as some kind of defence mechanism. 

2 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

While we still have to pay them monthly having the cash to do that has never been the problem. Our issue is them being an impact on FFP, which they wouldn’t be if we have already written that cost off in one hit.

That would be my understanding of it.

you don’t just lose the cost by writing them off though.

ffp covers 3 years, so for a 3 year contract of say £1m a year that’s what you get for wages each year. Put a £30m transfer fee on top the annual cost for ffp is £11m.

if we wrote the wages off in the first year what happens is you would get the full £33m in the one year which has an impact for the next 2 years before it drops out of the calculations.

of course it means you can take more of a punt on year 3 as the cost has gone, and if you are making profits in year 1 despite the write off then obviously the impact goes away.

hence my use of trick. It can be used to you advantage, but it can also be something forced on you by auditors and then it could be more problematic 

3 hours ago, Sufi said:

I totally get this and agree with you on most parts but I think we are a much stronger squad if we have a LB who offers a bit more going forward and has a bit more pace to recover with. Also allows us to use Burn as CB3 or CB4 in an emergency if we have a new LB who can at the very least compete with Targett. 

I think part of the reason we were so reliant on attacking down the right is because as much as I love DB he really offers almost nothing going forward. He also requires a LW who is very conscious of tracking back to cover him in any counter situation. 

Its strange to say this because Burn had a really impressive season however stylistically and tactically I think we would really really benefit from a more balanced all round LB. 

Burn had a great season and loves the team, but I think he gives way to Matt Targett who got injured twice last year.  Wonder why neither West Ham nor Newcastle loaned Harrison Ashby.

4 hours ago, Slim said:

Ashby cost like 3mil.  People need to chill.  At worst loan him out and make some cash later.

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on Ashby.

I think there are three factors driving our recruitment strategy: 

1) Talent obviously and specifically the ability to fit in our system 

2) Age: Young with an ability to improve and maintain/increase in value

3) Opportunity: We are clearly hunting for deals at all price points. Relegated teams, injured players, clubs with financial problems, last year of contract, cheaper markets, players on low wages, or even a downturn in form, etc. 

I think Ashby was an opportunity as much as anything else and my guess is we’ll buy any £3m opportunity that ticks the other two boxes. Gordon and Pope are two clear examples of other opportunistic signings (you can disagree with the Gordon fee but I think we believed it was a deal). Many that have been linked follow this: Maddison (though it’s proven more expensive than I’m guessing we hoped), Chiesa, Livramento, Brazilians, all the players from this season’s relegated clubs, etc.

Ashby likely wasn’t bought as a backup RB. He was bought as an asset.

4 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

An asset that has gone from 3.4m to 1.0m in value (according to transfermarkt)? 

Makes sense, never plays. That doesn't cause it to go up.

7 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

He’s been here for six months. Whatever he’s worth on paper today is irrelevant.

still find the criticism of Burn odd.  Are we that sure the Eddie Howe just can’t see that he has a better left back in his squad than Burn?  Or maybe he prefers Burn to Targett for a reason, and he knows a bit more about football team selection than us?

24 minutes ago, rebelrouser said:

18 minutes ago, McDog said:

Makes sense, never plays. That doesn't cause it to go up.

Or maybe transfermarkt is wrong?  How does it establish value?

6 hours ago, timeEd32 said:

Not sure why everyone is so hung up on Ashby.

I think there are three factors driving our recruitment strategy: 

1) Talent obviously and specifically the ability to fit in our system 

2) Age: Young with an ability to improve and maintain/increase in value

3) Opportunity: We are clearly hunting for deals at all price points. Relegated teams, injured players, clubs with financial problems, last year of contract, cheaper markets, players on low wages, or even a downturn in form, etc. 

I think Ashby was an opportunity as much as anything else and my guess is we’ll buy any £3m opportunity that ticks the other two boxes. Gordon and Pope are two clear examples of other opportunistic signings (you can disagree with the Gordon fee but I think we believed it was a deal). Many that have been linked follow this: Maddison (though it’s proven more expensive than I’m guessing we hoped), Chiesa, Livramento, Brazilians, all the players from this season’s relegated clubs, etc.

Ashby likely wasn’t bought as a backup RB. He was bought as an asset.

Amen to this. It's more in the Chelsea/Man City ilk of buying youth that you can sell on at a later date. Literally investment as a way of balancing FFP. City have many examples of this, a few actually went to Southampton last season?

We aren't used to it, but the winger Minteh at Feyenoord on loan this season may never play a first team game for us. But signing at £6m we could bank a profit on him within 1-2 years if he does well on a loan or two.

Livramento coming in and learning off Trippier (in his final few years) before becoming our first choice right back for the next however many, for somewhere between £15-20m? Great recruitment yet again if we pull this one off.

He will also get plenty of games this season, we need a squad. Look at Man City again as the blueprint, they could field two 11's that would both finish in the top 4.

7 hours ago, TheBrownBottle said:

still find the criticism of Burn odd.  Are we that sure the Eddie Howe just can’t see that he has a better left back in his squad than Burn?  Or maybe he prefers Burn to Targett for a reason, and he knows a bit more about football team selection than us?

I would say Eddie knows and sees a whole load more than us, which is why Burn has been a mainstay of a side expected to be upper mid-table but is now in Europe's top competion

6 minutes ago, Andy84 said:

Is this a Luke “closing in” story but actually nowhere near again? Sounds like they want £30 million 

He’s had a shocking summer so far, identified 3 targets and 2 of them dead in the water. The most recent one hit the news within 24 hours or him stating we’re pausing and reflecting.