Harvey Barnes

khay

2 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Also they have all starred for England. Can include JM in that bracket.  Why hasn’t Barnes?

Erm, Harry Maguire regularly plays for England.[emoji38]

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Barnes has comparable ‘stats’ to Bukayo Saka, Jack Grealish, Rashford etc.  

Why do we think other top 6 clubs aren’t in for him at £35m?

Because they have Saka, Grealish, and Rashford. :lol: 

10 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Barnes has comparable ‘stats’ to Bukayo Saka, Jack Grealish, Rashford etc.  

Why do we think other top 6 clubs aren’t in for him at £35m?

Why weren't any of the top six in for Bruno, Isak or Botman? 

2 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

If we sign Barnes, our formation is going to be very interesting. He’ll have to be used as a “wide” striker and will see a fair amount of bench time. Got to think we’re picking players for different formations. However we line up I’m expecting most of Gordon’s time on the pitch down the right.

Will we see Isak and Wilson in our “strongest” formation? 

Leicester played in a similar way to us when they finished 5th both seasons running, apart from they could switch between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on opponents. They were one of the best pressing teams in the league and Barnes and Maddison would rotate like Joelinton and Willock did last season.

Barnes did have the benefit of a good attacking left back behind him so they could double up when going forward, but in the main this won’t be a new formation or style of play for him.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Better yet, do you think Barnes is as good as them?

I don't think anyone is saying they are as good overall just they have similar output. All the top sides have wide players who can put up those numbers, we don't. 

Just now, Matt1892 said:

Leicester played in a similar way to us when they finished 5th both seasons running, apart from they could switch between 4-3-3 and 4-2-3-1 depending on opponents. They were one of the best pressing teams in the league and Barnes and Maddison would rotate like Joelinton and Willock did last season.

Barnes did have the benefit of a good attacking left back behind him so they could double up when going forward, but in the main this won’t be a new formation or style of play for him.

Signing a top quality LB is the key. 

'Maxi has a tyu stat of 0.1 per game, compared to Barnes who has a 0.5. On the other hand Maxi averages 14 high chance touches per game compared to Barnes who only averages 7. Saying that, Barnes averages 18x backwards forwards high line inter passes per 20 minutes which is up on Maxi at only 7x'.

zach-galifianakis-math.gif

What the fuck are they talking about.

2 minutes ago, TBG said:

'Maxi has a tyu stat of 0.1 per game, compared to Barnes who has a 0.5. On the other hand Maxi averages 14 high chance touches per game compared to Barnes who only averages 7. Saying that, Barnes averages 18x backwards forwards high line inter passes per 20 minutes which is up on Maxi at only 7x'.

You forgot to divide that by the eye test while multiplying cryptic social media posts mental gymnastics. 

1 minute ago, Jaqen said:

I don't think anyone is saying they are as good overall just they have similar output. All the top sides have wide players who can put up those numbers, we don't. 

Well some people are implying that he is because they think the only reason others weren’t interested is because they already have a player of that calibre. 

3 minutes ago, simonsays said:

Why weren't any of the top six in for Bruno, Isak or Botman? 

Doubts they could do it in the PL. If Bruno played for Leicester he would be sold for more than Maddison. 

——-

The point I’m trying to make is that Barnes does compare well to some of the best wingers or attacking midfielders  in the league when you just look at goals. You can add Mount, Richarlison, Raphinha, JM to that. He’s going for less money than them all, with a good contract position. He’s also had less international recognition. Why is that? 

- more 1 dimensional style of play

- average all round game and wider influence

- less effective against a low block

- positionally/tactically inflexible 

- doubts about him off the ball

And these are the same reasons some are sceptical of the transfer. He’s an average football player but a good goalscorer. 

i think he starts for us and could score a lot of goals and be a massive success for us. But there’s valid reasons for ppl being sceptical - he’s not a great footballer.  

6 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

I think he starts for us and could score a lot of goals and be a massive success for us. 

—————Isak————

—Barnes————Almiron

Agree. Howe will start him. Think this will be starting v Villa. Gordon will need a slight rest given euro’s. Wilson is the back up striker. Miggy is first choice RW, as it stands. 

9 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Well some people are implying that he is because they think the only reason others weren’t interested is because they already have a player of that calibre. 

Doubts they could do it in the PL. If Bruno played for Leicester he would be sold for more than Maddison. 

——-

The point I’m trying to make is that Barnes does compare well to some of the best wingers or attacking midfielders  in the league when you just look at goals. You can add Mount, Richarlison, Raphinha, JM to that. He’s going for less money than them all, with a good contract position. He’s also had less international recognition. Why is that? 

- more 1 dimensional style of play

- average all round game and wider influence

- less effective against a low block

- positionally/tactically inflexible 

- doubts about him off the ball

And these are the same reasons some are sceptical of the transfer. He’s an average football player but a good goalscorer. 

i think he starts for us and could score a lot of goals and be a massive success for us. But there’s valid reasons for ppl being sceptical - he’s not a great footballer.  

There's an element of that of course, but also other teams have a different vision for what sort of player will work in their team.  To say a player isnt worth signing because another team doesnt want him is to take a very basic view of football at this level

11 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Holy hedge! None of the reasons you use to claim he is not a great footballer are things that can easily be fixed with the right coaching. I'd argue that we have seen them fix those in other players. This is not a veteran player that can't evolve and improve.

Apparently ASM is more than capable to adjust and improve but Barnes is just a goal scoring donkey that won't change and improve.

50 minutes ago, Pata said:

I’ll take a break after this but ASM’s xG+xA per 90 was higher than Barnes’ this season, 0.52 vs 0.40. Still poster after poster comes here telling everyone ASM has no end product. Only thing letting him down last season was his fitness.

And I would love some proof on the fact that Howe massively hates ASM. :lol:

In how many games? I played once last year for 15 mins with 1 goal and assist. I have a better xG + xA than both. 🤣

At least be intellectually honest in your arguments. That's mickey mouse bullshit.

4 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

Based on what?

Head down, run and shoot. 

Not trying to beat someone with three stepovers for the sake of it. He can beat a man if he needs to, but he will release it quickly if he sees someone in a better position.

His finishes are clever, he'll pass it into the net when it needs precision, he can chip the keeper, he can blast it when he needs to.

4 minutes ago, simonsays said:

There's an element of that of course, but also other teams have a different vision for what sort of player will work in their team.  To say a player isnt worth signing because another team doesnt want him is to take a very basic view of football at this level

I’m not saying that he’s not worth signing. People have posted his PL goals and assists record vs his peers. His is as good or better. You could interpret that, as he is as good as them or better. When you take his overall game, I don’t think he is. 

25 minutes ago, TBG said:

Wish someone would boil it all down to just "he's good" or "he's shite", have absolutely no idea what opinion to express at work on Monday morning atm.

Just now, The College Dropout said:

I’m not saying that he’s not worth signing. People have posted his PL goals and assists record vs his peers. His is as good or better. You could interpret that, as he is as good as them or better. When you take his overall game, I don’t think he is. 

On that i think we can agree.  Ultimately what we are lacking from our wide forwards is goals and assists - i think Barnes could add both.  Ultimately we are still fishing in a different pond from Man City, Arsenal et al

I think Howe allows players to play to their strengths and build on them. And confidence will have players at the peak of their game.  But the players are the same players with the same abilities. 

I don’t expect Barnes to join and improve his take-one or creativity.  But I expect us to play a system that maximises what Barnes can do on the pitch and nullifies his weaknesses. 

1 minute ago, simonsays said:

On that i think we can agree.  Ultimately what we are lacking from our wide forwards is goals and assists - i think Barnes could add both.  Ultimately we are still fishing in a different pond from Man City, Arsenal et al

Aye.  Personally I would prefer someone younger, technical, with a higher ceiling but not mad at this.