Harvey Barnes

khay

8 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

It’s only a benefit on the rare occasions he actually releases the ball early to those in space

Exactly. ASM is brilliant at pulling defenders towards himself and freeing up space for others, but then most of the time he tries to keep hold of the ball too long and ends up losing it rather than playing in those available players. This is what we mean when we refer to football intelligence.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Exactly. ASM is brilliant at pulling defenders towards himself and freeing up space for others, but then most of the time he tries to keep hold of the ball too long and ends up losing it rather than playing in those available players. This is what we mean when we refer to football intelligence.

Not only that but given his initial explosive pace, he should be playing on the shoulder more. The fact is the ball is always quicker than you, it’s  literally one of the first things every rapid kid should be taught. It’s great being able to beat a man when required, but the best in his position use space and movement to ensure they often don’t have to.

12 minutes ago, The Prophet said:

Think if this was agent driven, you'd see more clubs mentioned in the running. The reporting so far seems pretty conclusive.

Hmmm it’s just the weird way the articles is written. Being talked about as a done deal without us even making a bid. Feels a bit like an attempt to to get more teams involved.

6 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Hmmm it’s just the weird way the articles is written. Being talked about as a done deal without us even making a bid. Feels a bit like an attempt to to get more teams involved.

The Gordon transfer was also played out very publically with Everton being as leaky as they are.

I think the key phrase is "formal bid". It sounds very much like the clubs have an informal agreement in place, probably an overall fee with stuff like payment terms and add-ons to be ironed out. 

5 hours ago, The Prophet said:

Joking aside, I do find it strange that eyebrows are being raised about Barnes, who's strength is being a direct goal threat who can shoot off both feet but people tug themselves senseless over Diaby, who's strength is being a direct goal threat who can shoot off both feet. Is it just that one plays on the left and the other on the right?

I think it's more about the position we're potentially signing, rather than the player himself, who's clearly very good. I dont think anyone would have expected us to sign another LW, given the majority of us think the priority positions for new signings atm are RW, LB and CB. 

26 minutes ago, TRon said:

This feels like a post from before last season. 

2 minutes ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think it's more about the position we're potentially signing, rather than the player himself, who's clearly very good. I dont think anyone would have expected us to sign another LW, given the majority of us think the priority positions for new signings atm are RW, LB and CB. 

That was my thinking. Is the level of scepticism because Diaby plays on right wing and that is generally considered more a priority to upgrade than the left?

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Absolutely, I was frustrated last season that he was a bit too hesitant to run at fullbacks and instead played the easy and safe pass too often.

1 hour ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Even last season I was saying that while ASM was trying to play the Howe way, his first instinct was still to hold onto the ball before releasing it. He's not instinctively a team player despite all his skills. That decision to hold the ball and try to beat the extra player can often kill the opportunity as defenders use that time to get back in position.

2 hours ago, The Prophet said:

That was my thinking. Is the level of scepticism because Diaby plays on right wing and that is generally considered more a priority to upgrade than the left?

I think so, I do fly past a lot of posts without reading so I cant speak for the thread. If we were short of a LW, and we were after Barnes I'd be over the moon. Im still canny happy we're getting him, he's very good. I think it's just the questions it raises. Is he going to compete for that role with Maxi, Gordon and/or Joe? Does it mean we expect Joe to be playing more in CM? Is Maxi moving to the right? Which if he play's with Trippier as  Almiron did surely that wont work? Or is he off? Is Gordon moving right? etc etc etc. I think if we'd been topld we were soon to sign x Right Winger, it'd have been an easier thing to compute given its expected and we understand the thinking. I think it's the leftfield nature that has so many people questioning it, imo.

We know that Howe is big on competition, positional flexibility, and having rotation options in games both in terms of fluid positioning (Willock/Joelinton) and subs.

We're really past the point of being as linear as Barnes in = Maxi out. Howe won't be afraid to play Barnes wherever he sees fit, just like he's been happy to have Isak as a winger or Gordon play a central midfield role. Really wouldn't be shocked to see Barnes RW or Maxi out there etc.

we have options now, i mean we could field a midfield 3 of tonali, bruno and longstaff and a front 3 of joelinton, isak and miggy with the plan that the opposition will absolutely never have any peace on the ball with our midfield and wingers just relentlessly pressing and our striker willing to drop deep. 

I think Longstaff will lose out a bit to Tonali with Willock coming in to switch out to whoever is on the left. We have capacity for fluidity, and Barnes' directness will certainly be helpful in some games. I wouldnt be shocked to see joelinton on left and a similar lineup as above against the big teams, willock, barnes and gordon coming in against others. 

3 minutes ago, cranna said:

Livramento, Tierney, Tonali and Barnes? Maybe a loan for a CB? And that's it?

I don't rate Tierney as high as some but that would be a strong window. Assume Anderson improves, Gordon gets better, and Ashby is usable and that's not a bad place to be.

1 hour ago, Super Duper Branko Strupar said:

I think so, I do fly past a lot of posts without reading so I cant speak for the thread. If we were short of a LW, and we were after Barnes I'd be over the moon. Im still canny happy we're getting him, he's very good. I think it's just the questions it raises. Is he going to compete for that role with Maxi, Gordon and/or Joe? Does it mean we expect Joe to be playing more in CM? Is Maxi moving to the right? Which if he play's with Trippier as  Almiron did surely that wont work? Or is he off? Is Gordon moving right? etc etc etc. I think if we'd been topld we were soon to sign x Right Winger, it'd have been an easier thing to compute given its expected and we understand the thinking. I think it's the leftfield nature that has so many people questioning it, imo.

I’ll add the, where does this leave Joe willock? A young explosive and brilliantly skilled player who when on form towards the end of last season was near on unplayable. 

6 hours ago, Kanji said:

I’ll add the, where does this leave Joe willock? A young explosive and brilliantly skilled player who when on form towards the end of last season was near on unplayable. 

I think willock is an integral part of the club's future and the midfield in particular. 

Some games big Joe might go left forward and Barnes coming on later allowing willock to play with Bruno and tonali. 

But with so many games lots of players are likely to be rotated, in particular like willock, longstaff, joelinton etc

I wonder if he plays tonali from the bench at first?....seems ridiculous but Howe did that with Bruno and said in an interview not long ago that nursing him in was the right thing to do 

13 minutes ago, GWN said:

Tonali will surely be nursed in as per 

I recon howe will use preseason to bed him in, and he will start against villa

Are we having more preseason friendlys than we used to eg 3 in the us this sela cup thing and rangers gateshead ect.... thats 8 so far?

Just now, danny said:

I recon howe will use preseason to bed him in, and he will start against villa

Are we having more preseason friendlys than we used to eg 3 in the us this sela cup thing and rangers gateshead ect.... thats 8 so far?

Think we normally have 6-7. If last pre-season is anything to go by, the Sela Cup basically counts as 1 game as he played a different XI each game.