Harvey Barnes

khay

1 minute ago, RUHRLYASLEEVESUP said:

Have to laugh man, 2 years ago we would of took Harvey Price, now some are moaning about the likely double digit goalscoring left midfield / Winger Harvey Barnes for £35M, be careful what you wish for lads ffs 

Yes remember the excitement of bringing unbelievable deals like Jeff Hendrick and on the edge of your seat knowing that we had a chance of getting Hamza Choudhury over the line 

11 hours ago, The Prophet said:

The Gordon transfer was also played out very publically with Everton being as leaky as they are.

I think the key phrase is "formal bid". It sounds very much like the clubs have an informal agreement in place, probably an overall fee with stuff like payment terms and add-ons to be ironed out. 

Or Leicester could have told him and his agent they won’t stop him from leaving if a club matches their valuation, so Newcastle know the fee involved and that the player wants to come.

6 minutes ago, RodneyCisse said:

Would Barnes count as homegrown? 

For PL squad purposes, yes.

For CL, there’s two aspects. You have to have to have 8 players trained from the same national league, 4 of which have to be from your own youth system. So obviously he counts towards the first part but not the second.

I like the signing, especially if we see him as a forward as opposed to a winger. We have a few players now who could potentially create a really flexible and dangerous front line. Isak, Barnes and Gordon could cause havoc 

4 minutes ago, Nucasol said:

I still think it’s strange none of Douglas, Downie, Edwards, Caulkin and co have commented on this.

Pretty sure Douglas did. Unless he's deleted it or I completely imagined it.

Edited by ponsaelius

One thing with Barnes - he's unlikely to be a flop. We can argue about his ceiling (versus ASM, Chiesa, Diaby etc) but at the very least he's a good quality starter for a top half PL team and if we decide to move him on in the future there's every chance we make a decent FFP profit.

If they’ve been talking to Leicester for a while I’d imagine the bid will just be a formality. That Simon Jones from the Mail writes also sorts of hits constantly 

1 minute ago, The Prophet said:

The North East press pack have been really on the ball of late, I get why we'd want confirmation from them.

North East journalism is the pits.

I know they've not got the direct scoops like Gibson and Oliver had up to 20 years ago and the 24/7 news cycle makes it tougher since you're fighting for clicks rather than filling a newspaper that people bought out of habit, but the quality in general is awful. 

I'd imagine that's basic fee going to something between £30-40m. £60-70m combined for Barnes and Gordon given their ages, potential, goals, sell-on value is brilliant business. Guessing Ashworth knows these two from the various England youth levels? Class how we seem to be looking both here and still picking up top overseas players. 

Yeah, 25m would be crazy for an English player with his kind of numbers, in this market. 

Obviously with it being an opening bid, you’d expect the figure to be agreed at closer to 30m plus add-ons.