Harvey Barnes

khay

On 28/02/2024 at 07:26, NEEJ said:

He thrived on one-twos at Leicester, so it'll naturally take a bit of time for him to find his flow with our lot. Once it clicks I think he'll be a real asset and worth every penny.

As far as I'm concerned, there have been enough flashes so I'm not worried. 

I think that's very good point. It's amazing how many of his goals came from a give and go.

Really we are overloaded with players who like to play on the left (big J, Gordon, willock) because let's say Bruno was LM with tonali in the middle, I think those situations would happen regular especially on a break because Bruno has the vision and ability to play them passes.

Same can be said of Gordon of course. The problem seems to be that this season Newcastle seem to be coaxed into playing a high line where there's no space in behind where players like Barnes and isak thrive. With the whole forward line recovering from injuries and an overused midfield we just don't get from defence to attack quick enough. If players remain fit instead of recurring injuries I'm sure that will change.

On 28/02/2024 at 00:22, cubaricho said:

What?! :lol: 

Sorry for the late reply. Might have been a bit of a knee jerk reaction on my part. But still, I worry in games we don’t control, he’ll be a bit of a problem.

He’s made a career from being very clinical. It seems to me, a winger with poor dribbling ability will be easy to to figure out tactically. Hopefully I’m wrong.

Guest reefatoon
21 hours ago, huss9 said:

fucking hell.

There’s just no patience at all :lol: everything has to be instant or it isn’t good enough. Gordon got it last year.

The lad has just come back from being out for months but isn’t very good / bordering on useless because he hasn’t hit the ground running instantly.

The biggest downside to the takeover is a section of our supports massive impatience with everything.

Edited by reefatoon

5 hours ago, Vinny Green Balls said:

jesus christ. Not this again. Unlike ASM, he has a pretty prolific goal scoring record in the PL.

a player can contribute more to the team than just scoring goals. I don’t quite understand why always say Barnes is a better footballer or a better fit to the team than ASM because “he score more goals”. 

Just like Wood, they can be a very useful plan B and do something that other players cannot, even they may not be the best fit to our plan A. That’s why we need a squad. This becomes even more obvious now when Howe’s main tactics no longer works.

Jesus Christ

Edited by Zero

I remain a Barnes fan.  I think he offers something different from our other wingers - he’s the most clinical finisher we have on the flanks, and is very direct.  With a fit squad, he’s an excellent Gordon back-up; he’s not as talented as Gordon, but he has two excellent feet for finishing 

2 minutes ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Barnes has a very good goals and assists output - he's more than just a finisher. Very fair to say he's a final third player though imo.

Aye, I was probably underplaying his other attributes tbf.  But I like having two very different players for the same position.  

Edited by TheBrownBottle

Feels like people have been waiting to bring ASM back up to bash one of our wingers, couldn't do it with Gordon so now trying it on clearly not match fit Barnes :lol:

Just now, Aiston said:

Feels like people have been waiting to bring ASM back up to bash one of our wingers, couldn't do it with Gordon so now trying it on clearly not match fit Barnes :lol:

Hasn’t Barnes already scored more this season than ASM last season, despite hardly playing a game ?

Not to wade into the ASM debate too deeply as h always liked the lad a lot despite his major flaws but he’s only got 3 goals from 20 league games over there. He has got 9 assists which is way better than his stats over here but the quality of that league is a complete joke. Allan was a brilliant player to watch, a great character but he didn’t play effectively in a team and he often made the wrong decisions. Barnes invariably makes good decisions, understands how to play with others and is far more clinical. The debate about Barnes should centre on whether his signing was a priority or not, not whether he’s more effective than ASM which he clearly is 

1 hour ago, reefatoon said:

There’s just no patience at all :lol: everything has to be instant or it isn’t good enough. Gordon got it last year.

The lad has just come back from being out for months but isn’t very good / bordering on useless because he hasn’t hit the ground running instantly.

The biggest downside to the takeover is a section of our supports massive impatience with everything.

Absolutely nailed it. You think people would have learned after Gordon but it doesn't stop people rehasing half-baked criticisms after the lad has played less than 10 games for us, most off the bench after a long term injury.

Sometimes I think our fanbase deserves everything we get.

20 hours ago, Andy said:

One goal doesn't change the fact that in recent weeks he's missed some pretty good chances in general like, including in open play and from the spot yesterday. I'm sure he'd admit himself that he's not on his best form, considering at Leicester he had a reputation for being clinical for a winger. 

You've either deliberately or inadvertently mistook my comment as criticism for him as a player, when in fact I'm saying his bar for end product is usually extremely high. We bought him for that reason alone. I literally compared him to a wide version of Inzaghi, which is hardly a criticism. 

His game is almost entirely based around his movement and finishing, so when that is missing and his confidence in front of goal is low, which it certainly looked yesterday, he looks like a poor player as he doesn't offer a great deal else. 

Of course he's not at his best form - he's started one game since September and has come back from 6 months out. 

Saying he looks like a poor player and isn't in the best form every time he comes off the bench for 30 minutes is just an absolutely pointless comment at this stage.

19 minutes ago, jonny1403 said:

Of course he's not at his best form - he's started one game since September and has come back from 6 months out. 

Saying he looks like a poor player and isn't in the best form every time he comes off the bench for 30 minutes is just an absolutely pointless comment at this stage.

Do you want to take my words any more out of context? :lol:

I said if you take away the element of the game that we signed him for - pure end product - he doesn't offer much else and can look poor. My point (which I've clarified for you and you are still completely missing) is that the people who are being critical of him as a player need to understand that when he is off form in front of goal he WILL look like a poor player. We have signed him for that clinical edge in the final third that we were missing at times last season. 

I don't think it's that hard to grasp tbh, but hit me up if you need me to rephrase it for the 4th time.  

28 minutes ago, Andy said:

Do you want to take my words any more out of context? :lol:

I said if you take away the element of the game that we signed him for - pure end product - he doesn't offer much else and can look poor. My point (which I've clarified for you and you are still completely missing) is that the people who are being critical of him as a player need to understand that when he is off form in front of goal he WILL look like a poor player. We have signed him for that clinical edge in the final third that we were missing at times last season. 

I don't think it's that hard to grasp tbh, but hit me up if you need me to rephrase it for the 4th time.  

And you have missed my point completely as well - which is that saying he offers pure end product and not much else is an absolutely pointless comment when you haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make that assessment. 

What are you basing that on? He started 3 or 4 games at the start of the season and that's it. Maybe actually give him some time to see what type of winger he can be when fully up to speed instead of trying to make any sort of analysis at this stage?

3 hours ago, reefatoon said:

and people's reactions to certain players change from one day to the next.

just look at miggy, murphy etc. 

shite, decent, shite, decent.

1 hour ago, jonny1403 said:

And you have missed my point completely as well - which is that saying he offers pure end product and not much else is an absolutely pointless comment when you haven't seen anywhere near enough of him to make that assessment. 

What are you basing that on? He started 3 or 4 games at the start of the season and that's it. Maybe actually give him some time to see what type of winger he can be when fully up to speed instead of trying to make any sort of analysis at this stage?

Eh? He's a premier league winger who's started consistently for Leicester since 2019, he's not an unknown quantity. Everyone knows what kind of player he is. 

I missed the vast majority of the Bruce time because I didn't care, so I have no great emotional attachment to ASM. He was nice to watch and that but he usually did nothing (although I thought he was pretty good at times under EH). He couldn't play in EH's team, he was a waste of a shirt, he did nowt, Barnes will be much better in the long term.

4 hours ago, Gallowgate Toon said:

Barnes has a very good goals and assists output - he's more than just a finisher. Very fair to say he's a final third player though imo.

His per 90 assist numbers are actually pretty poor. Expected assists per 90 for his PL career are 0.15 per 90, just as an example Miggy has 0.10 which is quite close.

5 hours ago, Dr Venkman said:

I missed the vast majority of the Bruce time because I didn't care, so I have no great emotional attachment to ASM. He was nice to watch and that but he usually did nothing (although I thought he was pretty good at times under EH). He couldn't play in EH's team, he was a waste of a shirt, he did nowt, Barnes will be much better in the long term.

Think it’s harsh on ASM, as his game was all about dribbles/meters travelled with ball etc. Was part of a proper crap team where he had to do majority of his attacking stuff 60 yards from goal, similar to Gordon stats at Everton were poor because Everton were crap and he spent most of his time defending deep etc.

Do think ASM would’ve been good for us where we had ball more in final third and he could take players on, but it’s all mute now.

2 minutes ago, Sibierski said:

Think it’s harsh on ASM, as his game was all about dribbles/meters travelled with ball etc. Was part of a proper crap team where he had to do majority of his attacking stuff 60 yards from goal, similar to Gordon stats at Everton were poor because Everton were crap and he spent most of his time defending deep etc.

Do think ASM would’ve been good for us where we had ball more in final third and he could take players on, but it’s all mute now.

As I said, I liked watching him. He was a complete waste of time in an EH team.

ASM was great to watch but he's not really a system player. He did try and adjust his game to fit and I think it made him worse. 

There's little demand for individual players like that with managers/teams focused much more on systems these days hence why nobody was really interested in him for a relatively low fee. He's in his prime playing in the Saudi league with 3 in 20. 

My position on Barnes is this. He's not a bad player, but given 1. our financial limitations and 2. the relative strength players who could play in that position in our team before he signed he means may turn out to be a mildly bad signing.

Nothing happens in a vacuum and I feel the predictable knock on effects of his signing (i.e. not counting the unpredictable injuries) on other aspects of our overall team mean the money should have been spent elsewhere. I guess he'll be a 6/10 signing, but the way the deck is stacked against us due to FFP et all, means we can't really afford to have 6/10 signings.

19 minutes ago, PauloGeordio said:

🎯 🎯 

"Learning from his dad's career", I haven't read the article, but his dad isn't John Barnes, is he?