Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

2 minutes ago, gbandit said:

With Bruno it’s not that he’s playing terribly, it’s that he never used to get caught on the ball but it’s happening every game now. He is sloppier with his close passing and I think it’s a concentration thing mostly. I do think he’ll get much sharper but we were treated to an almost flawless player for months and it was probably inevitable that he couldn’t keep that up

There’s a gameplan to counter Bruno - close him down the minute he gets possession, don’t let him get his head up, get him turned with his back to goal. He’s

got a target on his back and it’s hard for him to play his natural game.

Having Tonali in there too is going to make such a difference, because the opposition isn’t going to be able to do that for both.

49 minutes ago, Pilko said:

I assume it's been mentioned but Carlos trying to play offside in his own half for the fifth goal :lol:

Looked a donkey in pre season as well. Glad we missed out on him

1 minute ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely ravenous at the thought of us up against some of this shite on Match of the Day. Feel like we'd probably beat Luton a million nil.

Hopefully they don't come and low block us.

7 minutes ago, cubaricho said:

:lol: Bro got merked like five or six times. He looked incredibly off the pace of the league. 

I assume someone is being funny, I never said that. 

edit: I am not amused.

Edited by McDog

11 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Absolutely ravenous at the thought of us up against some of this shite on Match of the Day. Feel like we'd probably beat Luton a million nil.

Palace had 24 shots at Sheff Utd despite being in the lead for almost the entirety of the second half

I really didnt expect today.  I thought they had worked us out after the away game.  Our press simply did not work and they played through us.  Today we were way better and more pragmatic as to when to us it.  We worked out their high line and destroyed them.  The pre season game really helped us I think as we started exploiting it then too.  

I think Villa will still do well but their injuries and us demonstrating how to take them apart will may make things a bit harder.  It will be interesting to see how good Emery is and whether he can tweak things if other teams do exploit if like we did.

4 hours ago, Froggy said:

Been pretty baffled at the overrating of Villa on here. :lol: not sure if it's based on their performance against you last season. 

Sliced open with ease today, and a pile of defensive mistakes into the bargain. They're nowhere near as good as people think. Completely dominated by the top three second half of last season. They're no threat at all of breaking into the top four. 

Today has been men against boys. 

For me I have a bit of bias in judging them because their story is a little similar to ours in how everything changed after going from Gerrard to Emery. They also spend a bit of cash in the windows.

2 minutes ago, Erikse said:

For me I have a bit of bias in judging them because their story is a little similar to ours in how everything changed after going from Gerrard to Emery. They also spend a bit of cash in the windows.

Today it was like we finally stopped letting them copy our homework. Digne, Diaby, Diego Costa, Emery.

5 minutes ago, GeordieDazzler said:

Have the worlds most casual stretcher duo been mentioned by the way? Would have only been 5 mins extra time if not for them :lol:

Was saying to my mate that Derek Wright will have been absolutely furious watching that :lol:

2 minutes ago, toon25 said:

Still can't believe this result, like. Wow. Fucking amazing.

The result is absolutely fantastic.  People (loads on here) think Dick Emery is the best ever.  He got his arse kicked today.  Don't under estimate Eddie Howe.

One of the things I love about this team is how ruthless we are when going 2-0 or 3-1 up before 60. We nearly allways just hammer them from that point instead of slowing down and potensially giving them a window to come back. There has been a lot of 5-1 and 4-1 results where it could've been even more if we were effective. We're so good on the counter whenever teams try to come back at us, and when they start giving up we take advantage of it.

Edited by Erikse