Newcastle United 5-1 Aston Villa - 12/08/23

Disco

Regarding Emery's style not being suited to league football, I don't really get it?

Tactically sound managers will probably go further in cup competitions (which Emery is), but yesterday just seemed like they got their press triggers completely wrong. That would be the case regardless of whether you're playing in the PL or in a cup final [emoji38]

Different styles suit different competitions but it seems like a bit of a reach to just group 'league' and 'cup' into two seperate categories and declare they can go far in one but not the other due to how they press. They'll be limoted in both unless they get the right plauers for the system.

I think Emery was perhaps a little too confident that his side could impose their style and dictate/ dominate us in midfield. They battered us at Villa Park, where Longstaff was out, Bruno clearly injured and we fell into their trap of being dragged too far up the field and leaving gaping holes in the middle.

In preseason they also dominated early on against a pretty weak Newcastle defence.

They got caught cold yesterday. Emery didn’t try and change what was a glaring problem with their high line and the turnover our press was causing just inside our own half. We really could have scored 8.

I must've watched the extended highlights on Youtube a dozen times already:lol:.

Loved the celebrations for the second Isak goal at the Gallowgate. There was a lass in  a wheelchair with her da, and thoroughly enjoying herself. Brought a tear to my eye.

Two players who people attribute to having a "quiet/poor" game - Miggy and Bruno - both actually did very well where it counted. Either were involved in the goals, or made Villa shit themselves with the attacking intent. Everyone was good yesterday. even Burn.

Well what can be said about that?

We just look so full of confidence, passing the ball around with real guile and our movement in the last third was a joy to see. Gordon, Barnes, Tonali, Isak et al are going to be a force to be reckoned with this year make no mistake. 

My only worry was they seemed to target Burn and his lack of pace on the break, Diaby caused him problems throughout the first half and on another day it could have been more of an issue than it was. We need a proper athletic left back if we want to progress - wether or not we play Livramento there remains to be seen. 

I’m really excited for this season, we have a great squad, a superb manager and that atmosphere yesterday was incredible - these are all really potent ingredients for success. Long may this continue!

Sometimes managers like Emery are too egotistical and try to out press us. The only team I’ve seen do that is Arsenal.

You try to play at our game and we will run you into the ground especially at St James. Same with Brighton last season. Players like Trippier, Schar, Botman are really good at playing out of a press. 

I am surprised managers haven’t tried more often to just sit back and counter us, we still struggle against those teams. 

Edited by Jesse Pinkman

5 hours ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Who was it that did the Zidane turn early on, must have been about 3-5 minutes? Think it was either Trippier or Bruno?

Outrageous anyway, we need some footage of it.

It was Bruno and it was absolutely disgusting 

5 hours ago, TRon said:
5 hours ago, Peppe said:

Releasing both the bow and the string at the same time though, that arrow is going nowhere :huff:

It makes no sense but does he give a fuck? Does anyone?

He does not. 

Hardcore bow-boys might. 

Edited by Peppe

3 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

No I’ve never said instead. I would like both.  They have different strengths and weaknesses.  

What did you make of Gordon yesterday? I thought it was a blistering start he made and looked real sharp. Still think he has some way to go before he’s up to Howes level of fitness but a real promising display overall. 

1 hour ago, Hanshithispantz said:

Regarding Emery's style not being suited to league football, I don't really get it?

Tactically sound managers will probably go further in cup competitions (which Emery is), but yesterday just seemed like they got their press triggers completely wrong. That would be the case regardless of whether you're playing in the PL or in a cup final [emoji38]

Different styles suit different competitions but it seems like a bit of a reach to just group 'league' and 'cup' into two seperate categories and declare they can go far in one but not the other due to how they press. They'll be limoted in both unless they get the right plauers for the system.

Look back at some articles about his time at Arsenal and what went wrong for him (after 11 wins in a row in his first season) and it's identical to what happened yesterday, the insistence on a high line and playing out from the back even when they're constantly getting caught out. The pace of the PL makes that style very risky if they lose a bit of confidence I can see it snowballing and he's shown in the past he will just stick to plan A.

Edited by Jackie Broon

Just now, MrRaspberryJam said:

What did you make of Gordon yesterday? I thought it was a blistering start he made and looked real sharp. Still think he has some way to go before he’s up to Howes level of fitness but a real promising display overall. 

Thought he looked excellent in parts. Loved his work rate off the ball. Had Cash on toast.  Lovely left footed assist. Brill. A Menace. Played with lots of confidence. Chalk and cheese to the game at Villa Park where Young had him in his pocket.  

Aye the fitness waned. 

Still a long way to go but a good start for the lad.  

Re Emery: it was actually a close game. We looked susceptible at the back and Villa should have really have scored at least 2.  

After the Mings injury and the 4th they should’ve gone to a low block and taken the L. So Emery showed a lack of flexibility there. But on another day they could’ve got a draw. 

There was weak spots to the performance imo.  

Bruno - was just bad. 
Miggy was average but worked hard. 
Midfield - need a little time to gel especially in transition. A few times we lost the ball and had nobody at DM and Villa were straight onto our back line. Over time I think that will improve. 

AT 3-1 we kept building with 3 at the back and Trippier super high.  And a few times we were caught out a few times and could’ve conceded. Trippier is slow running back. It’s a calculated risk but one I felt was unnecessary. 

we look susceptible defensively in general. Granted Villa have real talent.

The way we play, we are often defending with 3. Our back 3 is decent at slowing the opposition down for the others to get back. But none of the 3 are particularly good defending 1v1. That’s where we could do with an upgrade.  

I thought Cash had Burn on toast when he moved into midfield. 

17 minutes ago, Jackie Broon said:

Look back at some articles about his time at Arsenal and what went wrong for him (after 11 wins in a row in his first season) and it's identical to what happened yesterday, the insistence on a high line and playing out from the back even when they're constantly getting caught out. The pace of the PL makes that style very risky if they lose a bit of confidence I can see it snowballing and he's shown in the past he will just stick to plan A.

I noticed on goal kicks they'd stick a few players right up to stop us playing out from the back, so we just went long.

We did the same to them and they just kept trying to play out, refused to ever go long.

You've got to be flexible and they weren't at all.

4 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Bruno - was just bad. 
Midfield - need a little time to gel especially in transition. A few times we lost the ball and had nobody at DM and Villa were straight onto our back line. Over time I think that will improve. 

AT 3-1 we kept building with 3 at the back and Trippier super high.  And a few times we were caught out a few times and could’ve conceded. Trippier is slow running back. It’s a calculated risk but one I felt was unnecessary. 

The way we play, we are often defending with 3. Our back 3 is decent at slowing the opposition down for the others to get back. But none of the 3 are particularly good defending 1v1. That’s where we could do with an upgrade.  

If you found a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow, all everyone would hear from you is that it was the wrong shape.

8 minutes ago, The College Dropout said:

Bruno - was just bad. 

Your posts are really tough to read man.

Find every little negative and overexagerate them.

Listen.  I’m delighted. We ended up smashing them. Overall great performance. 

When we lose. I don’t think we are terrible and think everyone is shit. There’s usually positives to take. 

When we win. I don’t think we are the best team in the world and all our players are elite.  There’s usually things that can be improved. 

Never too up.  Never too down.