Lewis Hall

Paully

5 hours ago, Matt1892 said:

I’m presuming an obligation to buy includes the player wanting to stay, which he might not if he isn’t getting any sort of game time even when we are winning 4-0.

No. It means he’s coming come rain or shine. 

16 hours ago, 80 said:

A little disappointed Howe didn't see fit to make Hall one of today's 5 substitutions while 4-0 up today. You'd have hoped the risk-reward ratio would favour giving Burn a 20 minute break. I'm sure he's right, but I'd like to know why he's right.

It shows he’s not really in Eddie’s immediate plans. I honestly think he’ll get more minutes at CM than LB if Sandro gets banned soon.  He’s 3rd choice LB right now. If Burn was 3rd choice CB things would be different. 

Howe doesn’t mind playing Burn ALL THE TIME either.  He tends to save Trips legs when games are won.  

On 22/10/2023 at 15:59, The College Dropout said:

No. It means he’s coming come rain or shine. 

It shows he’s not really in Eddie’s immediate plans. I honestly think he’ll get more minutes at CM than LB if Sandro gets banned soon.  He’s 3rd choice LB right now. If Burn was 3rd choice CB things would be different. 

Howe doesn’t mind playing Burn ALL THE TIME either.  He tends to save Trips legs when games are won.  

Thats really the truth 

I think Eddie relies a lot on organisation rather than individual ability when it comes to the back four, so I can understand he doesn't want to risk an inexperienced youngster. Our defending often looks a bit knife-edge at the best of times to me, and given that we don't have a DM, I'm still wondering how we manage to concede so few goals.

I know he's only 19 but find it mad that he can't get anywhere near our side in either LB or midfield even off the bench yet he was starting games for Chelsea last season. Possibly goes a long way to showing how chaotic Chelsea have been over the last couple of years.

I'm confident we'll see more of him as the season goes on but definitely surprised by just how little of the pitch he has seen.

Fwiw I don't know if we can say it was a waste of resources signing him (seen this mentioned). We only made it happen because they were amenable to a loan-to-buy situation which worked in terms of FFP for this season. It's possible if we couldn't get that arrangement we wouldn't have made a fourth signing at all. There isn't many signings available for those kind of deals apart from older players who aren't wanted by their clubs and will have higher wages.

9 hours ago, Cronky said:

I think Eddie relies a lot on organisation rather than individual ability when it comes to the back four, so I can understand he doesn't want to risk an inexperienced youngster. Our defending often looks a bit knife-edge at the best of times to me, and given that we don't have a DM, I'm still wondering how we manage to concede so few goals.

We’ve conceded four in the last two away games and seven in the last four, it’s not great away from home at the moment.

1 minute ago, The College Dropout said:

Our out of possession play - particularly away from home - is sketchy.  There’s a lot of space behind the midfield and in wide areas.  

Sometimes think we'd be better reverting to a low block at times. But we need to hold onto the ball. We can't play our massive high tempo game all the time. We've gone from bing the best defence in the league to very open.

Just now, pubteam said:

Sometimes think we'd be better reverting to a low block at times. But we need to hold onto the ball. We can't play our massive high tempo game all the time. We've gone from bing the best defence in the league to very open.

6th in goals conceded in the PL so isn't a huge problem thus far. Understand your thinking though.

7 hours ago, ponsaelius said:

Fwiw I don't know if we can say it was a waste of resources signing him (seen this mentioned). We only made it happen because they were amenable to a loan-to-buy situation which worked in terms of FFP for this season. It's possible if we couldn't get that arrangement we wouldn't have made a fourth signing at all. There isn't many signings available for those kind of deals apart from older players who aren't wanted by their clubs and will have higher wages.

If he's going to be as good as people are suggesting, it's a mint deal, tbf.

7 hours ago, pubteam said:

I think it's more the heart in mouth feeling I'm getting during games ?

Nothing new there though. I think the calculation that Eddie makes is that however vulnerable our defence looks, the value of playing with a positive, aggressive outlook more than compensates. That can only work if the team buys into that 100% and plays with discipline and confidence. Eddie's chief strength as a manager is that he instils that kind of belief in his players. There's an indomitable quality to this side which carries them through. They play without fear.

What helps as well of course is that Eddie has a very shrewd tactical brain and it's easy then for players to develop that faith. They see the results.