Lewis Hall

Paully

4 minutes ago, Ashley17 said:

Anybody a subscriber to the Athletic able to share the gist of the Hall article from Waugh today?

Lewis Hall available for Newcastle against Chelsea in Carabao Cup tie – but will he play against his parent club?

Lewis Hall will be available to play for Newcastle United against his parent club Chelsea when the two sides meet in their Carabao Cup quarter-final at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday.

Hall, 19, joined Newcastle on loan with a £28million ($35.1m) option to buy plus £7m in add-ons from Chelsea in the summer transfer window.

Due to the Premier League’s loan regulations, Hall was unavailable for Eddie Howe when Newcastle beat Chelsea 2-0 at St James’ Park. The Carabao Cup, though, is run by the EFL, which has different loan rules.

The EFL rulebook says that “during the period of any temporary loan transfer, a player shall not play against his transferor club without the prior written permission of the transferor club (which, if given, must be indicated on the appropriate temporary loan transfer form)”. Chelsea have given permission for Hall to play against them and, therefore, he is available for Tuesday’s fixture.

But it may not be that simple — the versatile Englishman has found game time hard to come by on Tyneside, despite Newcastle’s troubles with injuries, during the first half of the season.

How likely is Hall to get minutes on Tuesday night?

Unlikely, in a word. He may come off the bench late on, if the game is comfortably won or lost, but it would be a shock to see Hall start.

Since being hooked at half-time at Bournemouth on November 11 – the third occasion he has been withdrawn at the interval, and he is yet to complete a full 90 minutes – Hall has barely featured. His only appearances came as a substitute against Tottenham Hotspur, when Newcastle were already 3-0 down, and against Fulham, when they were 3-0 up. Those introductions appeared to be primarily influenced by Howe’s desire to rest players, rather than for anything positive Hall could offer.

How has he done so far?

It is harsh, given Hall is 19 and still has fewer than 20 senior appearances to his name, but most supporters would say he has underwhelmed.

A direct comparison with Tino Livramento is unfair, given the right-back is two years further on in his development, but the pair are regularly judged together, given they were signed as long-term replacements for Dan Burn and Kieran Trippier during the summer.

Hall is still transitioning from being a midfielder throughout his youth years into becoming a left-back and his defensive positioning remains an area he must address before he is afforded greater minutes.

The statistic which sums up his difficulty in acclimatising is that he has played just 240 minutes spread across seven appearances, four of which were starts, for a team which has been injury-ravaged since October.

Could Hall return to Chelsea next summer?

When Hall moved to Newcastle, Chelsea said the north-east club held “an option to make that move permanent”. Newcastle, meanwhile, said the deal “includes an obligation for the Magpies to make the transfer permanent next summer based on performance-related criteria”.

Howe cast doubt on whether Hall will definitely be a Newcastle player next season when asked about the loan situation and whether the versatile Englishman had hit the criteria yet on Friday. He said: “You’re probably asking the wrong man, I’m not 100 per cent sure.

“It’s not (my decision). For me, he’s here now, he’s a Newcastle player. But I think there’s certain criteria he has to meet.”

Both Chelsea and Newcastle, though, expect Hall to be a Newcastle player next in 2023-24, regardless of how many appearances he makes this term.

I don’t think he’s being kept out due to the clause or Eddie not liking him. Eddie just likes to basically play the same team unless he’s forced to play someone through injury or suspension and then it’s up to that player to make the spot theirs like Miley and Tino have done.

It’s probably my only criticism of Eddie as a manager. Hardly ever rotates the squad and is very reluctant to bring on subs even if the lads are running on empty. Our injuries aren’t just bad luck, we have been playing the same 14 players all year in 4 competitions. 

Just now, Sufi said:

I don’t think he’s being kept out due to the clause or Eddie not liking him. Eddie just likes to basically play the same team unless he’s forced to play someone through injury or suspension and then it’s up to that player to make the spot theirs like Miley and Tino have done.

It’s probably my only criticism of Eddie as a manager. Hardly ever rotates the squad and is very reluctant to bring on subs even if the lads are running on empty. Our injuries aren’t just bad luck, we have been playing the same 14 players all year in 4 competitions. 

it’s pointed out a fair bit on here, but can you explain how lack of rotation injured Burn, Barnes and Botman?

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

it’s pointed out a fair bit on here, but can you explain how lack of rotation injured Burn, Barnes and Botman?

if you read my post again you will see that I said our injuries haven’t JUST been bad luck. As in its a combination of bad luck and players tired from playing every single match in a high intensity side for a season and a half. 

7 minutes ago, Sufi said:

if you read my post again you will see that I said our injuries haven’t JUST been bad luck. As in its a combination of bad luck and players tired from playing every single match in a high intensity side for a season and a half. 

Yep, but if we didn’t get the unlucky ones we wouldn’t get the others. Or as many anyway.